MS270 does its duties!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks again Troll, as always livin'up ta your handle :D
Sort of figured that for the 270, it really does shine when the revs drop a bit and it gets to work.
Not surprised at the various numbers on the 266xp either, I have heard they'll take a mod well too but I'm not messin' with this one as its beyond me. M. Acres specs on it claim 9.3k also, whether thats peak or power who knows?

:cheers:

Serge

..... M. Acres specs on it claim 9.3k also, whether thats peak or power who knows?

Serge

That is peak power rpms - Acres site is a very good place to get initial info on a saw model, but it is a mess when it comes to rpms - often have to read between the lines/words/numbers.....

Bump!

Just a small update on the MS270 in da woodlot. Things are going forward once again after nearly a month off for a couple of injuries and getting several cords behind (orders) I'm starting to see light at the end of the tunnel again. Now through most of the log piles in the pictures and saw has been running very well. I am now a 'canola baby' and see no difference in heat build-up, no bar burning, less mess by far, and as far as gumming up etc. etc. this has been a real non-issue and what does build up is easily cleaned.
The saw has been an able performer and I know there have been some comments about 'power to weight' but I have found this to be another 'who cares' thingy, I like the weight, makes me realize I have something in my hand and I have never liked light-weight screamers and think they are more a hazard safety wise (personal preference), I call them 'face buckers'. The size and weight make the saw seem larger but I do have an issue with the chain brake handle as the center support for it hits me right on my social finger's knuckle and has worn me skin out when cutting up close and personal.
As well, like a few of the gents here, I am not overly fond of the re-invented caps for oil and gas, but that said they don't leak (yet), but give me the good old screw caps any day imho.
Now the saw is well broken in it does what it should, the 18" bar is fine but when the bar is buried its happiest kept at around 1000-1500 below peak RPM grunting away with a sharp chain.
I muchly like the side tensioner having stabbed myself for years on dawgs and teeth, its one of the better ideas Stihl came up with (if it was them that originated it).
I am running Stihl mix @ 40-45:1 btw, no problems there either.

So thats my bump for the afternoon, hope ya'll having a great start to the week, ciao fer now!

Serge

My wood splitter (cute) & truck we use

This is one of the best workers I've had with me on the wood pile, sweet gal, would out work most anyone I know at 5'3" lol. We had a special order yesterday for dry 12" small split stuff (ick), and she did almost all the splittin', loaded the truck etc. It was almost three hours bucking yesterday with 266xp, big tough stuff, and today we finished the load and delivered in the truck we have use of, cool truck btw, V6 nissan on a 1ton dually, datson body, sort of a mish-mosh kinda beast. Anyhow, thats a cord sitting on that there truck, maybe a bit more. When we got it to where it was going we got tested by "I heard you'll stack it." My helper and I deadpanned, 'Um, no. Not after all the crap it took to get this We don't think so.' frikken lot of pieces man!
Second shot here is looking down the lot from the first two pics at the top of this thread. As a point of refference, in my second origional picture in the background you'll see a pile in the distance with a whit log across it. in the new #2 pic you'll see the log gone. It was a huge pita, heavy, dangerously situated pos. It sat about 6ft off the ground on the other logs. I had to cut from the high side and finally decided to cut it in the middle, it worked, each half fell off to the side. Big huge 4-5ft diam. old wet chitty hunk of maple, rolled in gravel for enjoyment, nothing quite like it to get the ol' pumper goin' I tell ya.
Story for now, much work yet to do, still 4 loads in behind these pics (about 8-9 cord and high tangled, gah!), and another 6-7 loads coming real soon to fill the space I made. Btw, those tarps in the pics cover around 5-6 cord I cut last week.
Good fun!
Ms270 is cutting like a champ, loves canola, and is my little buddy (well, after my cute helper :D ), 266xp, with its new full skip CT, cuts like a demented fool, sort of like me :) Oh, it loves canola too.
Both saws have about 100 or so hours this winter in this pile, few more elsewhere. Just ta say eh. :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw: grrrrrrrr, more wood! grrrrrrrrr:chainsaw:

:cheers: All!

Serge
View attachment 65336

View attachment 65337

Last edited:
Nice load of wood Sprig.
thanks Bcorradi, the person who got this load probably won't appreciate the amount of work in it, nice dry tight grained fir (man some of that stuff was tough!), but our 'boss' needed to get our cash flow up to par as we've donated over 20 loads to people this winter. How we work is that what we sell goes for wages and expenses, then what is over that we donate to the families we look after. Um, we be a bit behind on catchin' up lol. Oh well :)
Funny thing about fir, some of those logs were second natural growth, around 18"-30", I had three wedges stuck in a stupid 18"x18" piece! Like I said, some real wood! :)

Serge

nice saw

nice lite little saw. are ya runnin safety chain or non safety. round ground semi chisel chain is great for cuttin fir. if i was cuttin that much i would get a 18" bar with .365 semi skip chain and lower the riders a few thou:clap:

thanks Bcorradi, the person who got this load probably won't appreciate the amount of work in it

They never do, and good for you for doing it. I help people when I can but I have to make sure I have enough wood put away for my family, we don't have a backup source of heat. I helped my neighbor last weekend split his wood. He injured his back at work. We split 2-3 cords in a day. Wood is time consuming, hard, fun work. It sure feels good when you help someone though. :clap:
Dok

The 270 is a very good saw that is starting to get it's due around here. Excellent firewood and cedar clearing saw around here.:cheers:

You've been busy! Thanks for sharing, those are great pics. Good to see a 270 (non-pro) saw getting worked on this forum. Just because it isn't a pro saw doesn't mean it can't do a lot of work.
Dok

I'd say the 270 and 280 are pretty close to pro quality - only real downside is that they weight too close to the 361.....

Over here, the price of the 280 is too close to the 361, as well (no 270s offered here after the 280 came out).

Last edited:
nice lite little saw. are ya runnin safety chain or non safety. round ground semi chisel chain is great for cuttin fir. if i was cuttin that much i would get a 18" bar with .365 semi skip chain and lower the riders a few thou:clap:
Couldn't pay me to run 'safety chain' lol, its .325 RSC (chisel tooth), I think though that I'm going to try some skip or semi-skip next loop I get since the bar is buried a lot and I am finding that at high RPMs its almost like the teeth start to glide over the wood rather than be cutting, dropping the RPM a tad gets it cutting well again, I keep my rakers at aprox. 30thou., saw makes good chips. 18" bar. When the sprocket and bar get worn out I'll seriously consider moving to 3/8ths, seems to work well on the 5100's around here so should work fine on a 270 imho.
The 266xp has full skip chisel (3/8ths), 24-5" bar, and cuts with authority, me likey :D So far my replacement AV mounts seem to be holding up well (thats on another thread) but because it is running full skip there does tend to be a fair amount of high frequency vibration anyway, gets a bit tiring after a couple of hours, that could be just me and my aging decrepitude though too, but my hands say no, :) I figure its about an even trade off between the two saws energy wise, the 270 with a shorter bar means a lot more bending over and working on my knees, the 266 with the longer bar means less bending but its noticably heavier so takes its toll after a while.
Just my take on things.
4am insomnia so time ta cruise the other forums, later eh!
:chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

Serge

Canola draw-back

As ya'll know I've been running canola in both my saws since last fall, no problems, that is until the other morning.
Put the saws up on my washing machine to get them out of the way and when I went to retrieve them yesterday to my dismay they had been cleaned, that is, licked clean, by, of all things, a frikken rat! Haven't had a rat around since I lived here, now I have at least one of the buggers living on my porch waiting to clean up the canola-soaked sawdust from the saws GAH!! At least this one is outside.
I hate these :censored: :censored: critters, this one is doomed soon as I pick up a Victor rat trap.
Oh well, off to da woodlot.

Serge

As ya'll know I've been running canola in both my saws since last fall, no problems, that is until the other morning.
Put the saws up on my washing machine to get them out of the way and when I went to retrieve them yesterday to my dismay they had been cleaned, that is, licked clean, by, of all things, a frikken rat! Haven't had a rat around since I lived here, now I have at least one of the buggers living on my porch waiting to clean up the canola-soaked sawdust from the saws GAH!! At least this one is outside.
I hate these :censored: :censored: critters, this one is doomed soon as I pick up a Victor rat trap.

Serge

Remember, be kind to varmints.lol

I like my 270 so far, it seems like I run my 046 and 026 more... I think its because on my 026 and 046 I run 3/8 RSC and the 270 is .325 low kickback. When its junk I will put the same on it and then I will see what it will really do.

Haven't had a rat around since I lived here, now I have at least one of the buggers living on my porch waiting to clean up the canola-soaked sawdust from the saws GAH!! At least this one is outside.

Serge

Well I guess you know what to bait the trap with! :cheers: :clap:

Latest posts

Back