Ms290 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merlynr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
How do I get the muffler off of my Stihl ms290? One of the 3 nuts was loose but it wouldn't tighten up so I had to grind the nut off because it was spinning on the stud. Did that and the muffler won't slide off the studs. What am I missing? It seems loose,but won't come out easily.

I am going to allow this to be a teaching/learning experience for you. To start with, you have landed in the Firewood Forum. You will get a much better response on the Chainsaw Forum on this site. Do a search of this site, there is a great volume of information archived here that can easily guide you along. It is much better to learn from the mistakes of others than on your own.

Also do a search for an IPL (Individual Parts Listing) for your saw. This is an illustrated guide to how the components of your saw fit together, it is invaluable in knowing the sequence of parts as well as the part numbers.

Good luck!

How do I get the muffler off of my Stihl ms290? One of the 3 nuts was loose but it wouldn't tighten up so I had to grind the nut off because it was spinning on the stud. Did that and the muffler won't slide off the studs. What am I missing? It seems loose,but won't come out easily.

Once the nuts are removed, there are three conical washers that can get stuck in muffler assy. Try some rust-release and tap on the washers lightly to unseat them. Probably have a rust or carbon build-up issue. The bolts are captive in the cyl assy until you pull off shroud, then you can slide them out. I'm sure you already removed the muffler cover and spark arresting screen?!

Dont mind him - he has some kind uf sepiority complexx.

This site has years of archived data and the information that he seeks is readily available with a simple search. Making use of that function will allow him to quickly find the answer to this question and provide a resource when he encounters any other problems in the future. I do not think it is unreasonable for people to invest some time in getting an answer rather than expecting other people to do it for them. You may recall the story of teaching a man to fish....

I did try a search and came up empty before posting my question.

Common knowledge around here that the search function leaves a lot to be desired. No harm in posting your question. The Chainsaw Forum downstairs is where the hardcore saw junkies hang out, they will be able to help you with anything regarding your MS290.

I did try a search and came up empty before posting my question.

it is easier to use google to search this site then the built in search box.

do it like this in your google search box

"search terms, yada yada, blah blah" site:arboristsite.com

Note, you'll get a lot of results, some of which might look to be english, but can be part of the multilingual aspect of the site. Clicking on them will leave you stuck on said language, so just be picky

another aspect to google searching is to use what is called a negative modifier, just the minus symbol - in front of what you DON'T want to see

example two

"search terms, yada yada, -blah" site:aboristsite.com

.....not to mention the thicker than usual skin requirement when posting- Down there....

I trip around to Chainsaw, Milling, and now I'm prolly heading over to Carving room because I need to.

But I like Firewood room mostly-ish, anyway.

Send me a pm if you need the IPL and FSM for the 290. Between the two, you can do everything you need. Finding the commone troubleshooting is easier over in Chainsaw, but the fact of the matter is, that 290 is a good saw, and pretty simple. Most all are anyway, but dang, ripping one apart in 45 minutes is easy. Don't be shy. IF its broke, fix it.

.....not to mention the thicker than usual skin requirement when posting- Down there....

I trip around to Chainsaw, Milling, and now I'm prolly heading over to Carving room because I need to.

But I like Firewood room mostly-ish, anyway.

Send me a pm if you need the IPL and FSM for the 290. Between the two, you can do everything you need. Finding the commone troubleshooting is easier over in Chainsaw, but the fact of the matter is, that 290 is a good saw, and pretty simple. Most all are anyway, but dang, ripping one apart in 45 minutes is easy. Don't be shy. IF its broke, fix it.
I tried to pm you,but seems you need to free up some space for the msg.

Back