MS362 question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gobucks

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
We recently purchased an MS 362 with a 20" bar. To me, it seems a little underpowered for a 20" bar. It usually is OK (but not always - can struggle with bigger wood) when felling, limbing, and bucking but typically struggles with stumps greater that 20" much more than normal. Mainly been using it on ash lately. Chains are sharp and properly adjusted, fuel is fine, and saw is well maintained. Just wondering what you guys think about the saw and the set-up and if there's anything we can do to improve performance aside from some type of expensive mod.

The 362 is an excellent saw, however, it is also a 59cc saw. This means it won't be super torquey, and won't pull longer bars through hardwoods. It is a limbing/smaller bucking saw. It is not designed for stumping and larger falling. A sharp skip chain and a muffler mod will help, but what it sounds like you want would be better accomplished by a 441/461

The 362 is an excellent saw, however, it is also a 59cc saw. This means it won't be super torquey, and won't pull longer bars through hardwoods. It is a limbing/smaller bucking saw. It is not designed for stumping and larger falling. A sharp skip chain and a muffler mod will help, but what it sounds like you want would be better accomplished by a 441/461

Thanks. Having used a 044 in the past, definitely agree that a 441 is probably the answer. Thanks again.

Apparently, I've been busted by the Forum Blockwatch. Guess I shoulda read the Sticky - my bad.

No, wasn't a bust at all, just trying to help. As far as the 362 goes, another case of the EPA killing another great saw. I loved my 360 pro, liked my 361, and then came the 362. A little muffler work and carb tuning does really help it though.

Chain saw section would probably be a better location but since you are still here I'll reply. I have a MS362 and I think it is perfect with a 20" bar buried, which is how I measure a saw and bar combination - buried in oak. Last year I cut two 40" white oak trees that were already down with a 25" bar and standard semi chisel chain. That is a little past the comfort zone for a stock 362 but it can be done occasionally, not a steady diet. I have to think there is something holding it back when it balks at a 20" bar. The 362 is permanent for me but I am considering adding a 460 for more of the big guys. For me a 40" is big to cut and man handle. Of course someone may come along and say that tree can be cut with a finger nail clipper with enough time and the proper procedure. LOL

Back