Ms440 mag or ms460???????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol small world in in colonie, I just found wd in the phone book the other day, I go to olsens hardware one of my friends works there , I used to deal with akf in averill park but its hard to make it there after work when they close at 4, they have good prices And good service, jus a lil too far for me, I'll have to call wd tomorrow and see that their prices are. Ill check on the 461 too , I have to see if I can find one in stock so I can take a look at it.

Oh cool, i live 10 mins from olsens. In my opinion they are a joke... They got a 460 in there with dust on it and one of the guys who sells the saws was trying to tell me he sells one every 2 weeks. The same saws are always in there and never move lol. Its the kinda place where u know more about the saws than they do. But thats just my opinion of a hardware store trying to sell equipment. WD is the only ELITE stihl dealer in the area.

Yea ur rite they are, that's y I only deal with the one guy there the other 2 are tuff to deal with , but I have some shopping to do and we'll see what I end up with

I'm not sure what to get, I was talking to my dealer and he gets 940 for a 440 mag with a 20 inch bar, but he has a 460 in stock with a 20 inch bar for 999, what does everyone think? I'm wondering if there's a huge difference b/ w he 2 saws? Thanks for the opinions

That question makes me feel like we are 10 years back in time, thanks! :msp_smile:

Btw, they never sold the 440 here - I guess it was for a reason, but it could be just bad judgement? :msp_confused:

Shop all the Dealers on a new 461. .....

It would be interesting to know the actual weight of a 461, and how close it is to a 440 (or a 372xpXT)....

Edit; Found the weight of the 461 pho on the KWF site - 6.8 kg is about 2/3 lb more than the 460, and twise that more than the 440. If it matters is up to the individual user.

Last edited:
Nikko I like the feel of the 461 better than the 441, anyday, and balance. But don't like the newer design, I don't like the feel as much, and there not balanced as well, so good call my friend. I would still take the 460 O.P anyday, and the newer saw design is not as easy to work on, and to me there to knew to be tried and true, they are not bullet proof yet. The 461 gets better mileage I read above? I would like to see a test, bet it would be close, it's to new to tell certain things. Nikko those 44-440's are still awesome, and you know my love for the 372 as well. Since Nikko brought up husky, and weight, for the power to weight ratio, hell I would quit wondering either way, and go get a brand new 390xp, and stop thinking.:cool2:

It would be interesting to know the actual weight of a 461, and how close it is to a 440 (or a 372xpXT)....

Edit; Found the weight of the 461 pho on the KWF site - 6.8 kg is about 2/3 lb more than the 460, and twise that more than the 440. If it matters is up to the individual user.
PS I just repped ya, good god man, saw all your posts, you are my hero, love ya buddy! Whats the weight of a 390 xp? Bet not much over a 461 or 460 eh?

If only running a 25 inch bar ,440 has plenty of power and a little nimbler feeling than the 460

Niko, I was at Madsens and used their scale which is stationed where the saws are located and you hang the handle of the powerhead from it. Well brand new 3/4 wrap PNW edition's of 460 and 461 were there side by side so I weighed the powerheads. The 461 is exactly 2oz heavier than a 460 that's dry for dry powerhead only. interestingly enough they dyno'd several 461's and got .6 hp more than the 460. No wonder people are selling 066/660's the power of the new 76cc saw is getting close to the older 90cc saw.

PS I just repped ya, good god man, saw all your posts, you are my hero, love ya buddy! Whats the weight of a 390 xp? Bet not much over a 461 or 460 eh?

Looks like it is just under a pound heavier than the 461, at 7.2 kg - but also 11.5 cc more. :msp_smile:

Edit; Btw, I just hit you back!

Last edited:
That question makes me feel like we are 10 years back in time, thanks! :msp_smile:

Btw, they never sold the 440 here - I guess it was for a reason, but it could be just bad judgement? :msp_confused:

I have run 044,440 Mag, 460 and the 460 Mag. They definitely made a mistake by not selling 044/440 over there.

IMHO I would buy the 440 any day over a 460 or 460 Mag. The saw has far less vibration and that to me spells longevity and less beating on my hands. I was not impressed by the stock 460 Mag. I thought it was a vibration prone over hyped saw. Let me say that I have run all of these saws for a day or two and even ran my own bars and chains on them. I did not buy a 460 and never will. I do not own a a 440 or 044 anymore because I have no use for one. I go from 361 w/20" right to the 660DP w/24" rarely, 660M w/28" or 066M w/36".

The OP did state that he was looking for a saw to pull a 25" bar and the 440 will do that all day long. There is still tons of 044's out there getting it done. That says a lot about that saw IMO.

If you must have a 460 go to the 460R it's a Mag with all the bells and whistles to go big like a 36" full skip and still jam!

Nothin yet ive been too tied up with work to buy nething , but ive bee. Readin bout the 441 m tronic so im weighin it all out.

i was actually going to buy 441 today,but didnt get off in work in time,now my dealer gave me another option=======ms660 36" bar and chain and 28" bar and chain for $1000. think i going to do it..but goingto run both tomorrow............:cool2:

From what I've heard that's an awsome price, the one place I went to wanted a grand for a 460 w a 25 inch bar, I'd jump on that! Hopefully after this storm thats commin my way ill get another saw!

Nothin yet ive been too tied up with work to buy nething , but ive bee. Readin bout the 441 m tronic so im weighin it all out.

Once ported the 441 M-Tronic is really great production saw that has great smooth power, and has good fuel mileage. I was in the same boat as you one, except I was waiting for the 461 to be released and I went with the 441 and could not be any more happier with the performance from it's 70 cc mill.

i ended up just getting the ms660 new tonight for $1000 with 36" bar and chain and 28" bar and chain.....good luck let us know what you get

Get the 460. Nothing wrong with a 440, but in my view it's kinda like a Chevy 305 instead of a 350. If you do end up getting the 440, make sure it has the HD air filter.

I've owned a couple or more of each saw. They were all Used, NOT New.

I like the lighter weight/slimmer design of the 044/440.

Plenty of power for what I was doing.

I think the 460 would perhaps shine more in 'bigger' wood, almost to the point where you're nearly in 660/395 territory.

If I were looking at a Stihl, and willing to go 460 weight, I'd have to look hard at the 441c-M.

I know I'm in the minority in this discussion, and I'm not looking for a fight, just sayin'.

Well finally after a few weeks I finally got time to go to the dealer and ended up buyin a 441R. It should be here by the end of the week, so thanks everyone for the input it was a tuff decision.

Back