My 261 feels stronger than my 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This past summer cutting with a friend on a stand of Alder trees and he had the 361 and I had my 261

We traded saws for most of the morning I felt my 261 was stronger then his 361; granted I feel my saw was better maintained then his and the the b/c were both 18" 3/8's (but I didn't sharpen his chain) I did question him running a 18" bar on a 361 also but I found out why he does :msp_wink:

I even put a 20" 3/8's b/c on my 261 and it still would cut better than the 361 :msp_wink:

My 261 just has some simple mod's done to it nothing anyone here on AS couldn't do (maybe not thu) :jester:

JMO

Just this fall I replaced two 361s with a 261. Biggest difference to me was the weight! I didn't run them side by side but I can't tell that the 261 is any slower, just lighter with a better feel. I loved those 361s but don't miss them now.
Granted I'm cuttin firewood thats 20"-22" at the most usually. The 261 is currently away at training camp in TN. Should be badazz when it gets back.:msp_w00t:

Just this fall I replaced two 361s with a 261. Biggest difference to me was the weight! I didn't run them side by side but I can't tell that the 261 is any slower, just lighter with a better feel. I loved those 361s but don't miss them now.
Granted I'm cuttin firewood thats 20"-22" at the most usually. The 261 is currently away at training camp in TN. Should be badazz when it gets back.:msp_w00t:

That's just it when you do a few mod's to a 261 it will keep up or even be better than a 361 :taped:

JMO

I have a MS 361 that is about 2 years old and have a newer 261, The 261 is more responsive and will cut faster than the 361 while bucking (same log). The 261 is stock and the 361 has a muffler mod (3- 3/8 inch ports). I've never run anyone elses 361 so does this sound normal?

FYI
261 is 18in .325, the 361 is a 20" 3/8.

It is very far from normal, both the faster cutting and the comment about responsiveness.

Something is seriously wrong with that 361.

Test results

OK. Here's what I did. Sharpened both chains and set raker height with my depth guages. Dumped fuel, poured in some TRU Fuel. (This is what I usually put in my saws to store them... All I had at the moment other than some month old fuel I made up for my leaf blower and trimmer) Warmed em up a little and compared the cuts through an 18" pine log 3 cuts per saw. The 361 out cut the 261 by about a second and a half. It definitely has more torque than the 261. The 261 just feels a little snappier I think due to the lighter bar, but yes the 361 does have more testicles :rock: . I feel better now, but a little foolish by not comparing them side by side in the same log when I first made this assumption :msp_blushing: Anyway, I feel much better about the saws. 361- Clear advantage :clap:

attachment.php

It is very far from normal, both the faster cutting and the comment about responsiveness.

Something is seriously wrong with that 361.

You have to run a MS 261 to know the difference :taped:

JMO

OK. Here's what I did. Sharpened both chains and set raker height with my depth guages. Dumped fuel, poured in some TRU Fuel. (This is what I usually put in my saws to store them... All I had at the moment other than some month old fuel I made up for my leaf blower and trimmer) Warmed em up a little and compared the cuts through an 18" pine log 3 cuts per saw. The 361 out cut the 261 by about a second and a half. It definitely has more torque than the 261. The 261 just feels a little snappier I think due to the lighter bar, but yes the 361 does have more testicles :rock: . I feel better now, but a little foolish by not comparing them side by side in the same log when I first made this assumption :msp_blushing: Anyway, I feel much better about the saws. 361- Clear advantage :clap:

attachment.php

Now do it in oak!

You have to run a MS 261 to know the difference :taped:

JMO

To know exactly, I even need to use his saws, which isn't possible - but I don't need to run a single one to make a general statement about the model. There have been more than enough reports from others, for that. :givebeer:

I found a pristine condition 262xp on craigslist, bought it up thinkging it was going to be an animal, I was very disapointed and honestly my 346 ate it up with a 18 inch bar, the 262 had a 20 but still it was not even close worth the extra weight, i have since sold the 262 and replaced the 262 with a 562, the 562 is a keeper but hey the seat of the pants feel when cutting is what matters, I know your pain!!

To know exactly, I even need to use his saws, which isn't possible - but I don't need to run a single one to make a general statement about the model. There have been more than enough reports from others, for that. :givebeer:

Simple amazing :taped:

A MS 261 with a few simple mods will out run a stock 361 :msp_ohmy:

JMO

Simple amazing :taped:

A MS 261 with a few simple mods will out run a stock 361 :msp_ohmy:

JMO

Believe what you want to believe, your statements on the 261 are totally off compared to what most people that have used them post anyway. :msp_rolleyes:
You came here with extreme biases already well "implanted" - even by AS standards, and (obviously by now) is not willing to learn a single thing.

The MS361 is basically an excellent 60cc saw (actually 59cc), but the US version is not quite as good as the Euro (German made) ones without a little help (different cylinder and muffler). Regardless of that, if it doesn't beat a 261 with a wide margin, something is seriously wrong - either with that 361, or with the way the comparison was done.
There are good reasons that I still keep the 361 among my (mostly Husky by now) saws, and doesn't consider a 261 to be worthy of getting even close, even though they are realatively cheap here.

attachment.php

No need to defend your self sawtroll, the key word i keep hearing about one saw vs another is "feel" witch dont mean crap. timing the cuts is the real test to see what saw is doing what:cheers:

Believe what you want to believe, your statements on the 261 are totally off compared to what most people that have used them post anyway. :msp_rolleyes:

You came here with extreme biases already well "implanted" - even by AS standards, and (obviously by now) is not willing to learn a single thing.

The MS361 is basically an excellent 60cc saw (actually 59cc), but the US version is not quite as good as the Euro (German made) ones without a little help (different cylinder and muffler). Regardless of that, if it doesn't beat a 261 with a wide margin, something is seriously wrong - either with that 361, or with the way the comparison was done.
There are good reasons that I still keep the 361 among my (mostly Husky by now) saws, and doesn't consider a 261 to be worthy of getting even close, even though they are realatively cheap here.

So basically your saying a ported MS 261 isn't a strong saw ? :taped:

Have you ever ran a ported MS 261 ? :taped:

I've ran a stock MS 361 and a ported MS 261 :taped:

HMMMM; before I bought my MS 261 I ran the Husky 346 before I ordered mine

Before I bought my 70 cc class saw I ran both brands

I really don't know if I ran either brand long enough to make up my mind in your eyes ?

How long should I have ran each brand of saw in your eyes ?

JMO

No, I didn't know that this was about a ported 261 vs. a stock 361. Of course a ported 261 is a strong 50cc saw, but it still is an overly bulky and ill handling saw for a 50cc one - nothing can change that.

There are several indications that a ported 261 isn't up to a ported 550 or 346 though, even with more extensive work that includes deleting the "strato" design - but that is a totally different story. Those are not bulky and ill handling 50cc saws. :msp_wink:

Have you ever ran a ported MS 261 ? :taped:

I've ran a stock MS 361 and a ported MS 261 :taped:

HMMMM; before I bought my MS 261 I ran the Husky 346 before I ordered mine

Before I bought my 70 cc class saw I ran both brands

I really don't know if I ran either brand long enough to make up my mind in your eyes ?

How long should I have ran each brand of saw in your eyes ?

JMO

No body said a thing about ported 261, you yourself said a 261 with a few simple mods would out cut a 361. I agree with sawtroll something is wrong with 361 you were cutting with. i have no doubt the mm 261 is a strong saw, but it will not keep up with a stock 361. muffler mode the 361 and the beating it will only get worse.

I guess i type to slow? sawtroll had it covered

This past summer cutting with a friend on a stand of Alder trees and he had the 361 and I had my 261

We traded saws for most of the morning I felt my 261 was stronger then his 361; granted I feel my saw was better maintained then his and the the b/c were both 18" 3/8's (but I didn't sharpen his chain) I did question him running a 18" bar on a 361 also but I found out why he does :msp_wink:

I even put a 20" 3/8's b/c on my 261 and it still would cut better than the 361 :msp_wink:

My 261 just has some simple mod's done to it nothing anyone here on AS couldn't do (maybe not thu) :jester:

JMO

I wonder what I was say here when I mentioned SIMPLE MOD's :taped:

JMO

I wonder what I was say here when I mentioned SIMPLE MOD's :taped:

JMO

I have an idea, that I don't think is fit for sharing on here - but would fit well with your conduct on here...:msp_sneaky:

Btw, your last post could be read as if you have multiple personalities on here, but hopefully that isn't the case.

Last edited:

That's just it when you do a few mod's to a 261 it will keep up or even be better than a 361 # :taped:

JMO

MS 261 and MS 361 are way to close to each other in my eyes (50 cc and 60 cc class) ;)

You do some mod's to a MS 261 there is NO question that it will be the same or better than a stock MS 361 :cool2:

Just remember the are other people that can port saws other than people here on AS :taped:

By the way right now I own three different brands of saws and have owned as many as 5 different brands of saws just this past summer. See I just don't play with different chains for chan saws I play with different brands of chain saws :msp_scared:

JMO

:popcorn:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back