My 261 feels stronger than my 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H 2 H

H 2 H

FLASHER
This past summer cutting with a friend on a stand of Alder trees and he had the 361 and I had my 261

We traded saws for most of the morning I felt my 261 was stronger then his 361; granted I feel my saw was better maintained then his and the the b/c were both 18" 3/8's (but I didn't sharpen his chain) I did question him running a 18" bar on a 361 also but I found out why he does :msp_wink:

I even put a 20" 3/8's b/c on my 261 and it still would cut better than the 361 :msp_wink:

My 261 just has some simple mod's done to it nothing anyone here on AS couldn't do (maybe not thu) :jester:

JMO

VTWoodchuck

VTWoodchuck

ArboristSite Operative
Just this fall I replaced two 361s with a 261. Biggest difference to me was the weight! I didn't run them side by side but I can't tell that the 261 is any slower, just lighter with a better feel. I loved those 361s but don't miss them now.
Granted I'm cuttin firewood thats 20"-22" at the most usually. The 261 is currently away at training camp in TN. Should be badazz when it gets back.:msp_w00t:

H 2 H

H 2 H

FLASHER
Just this fall I replaced two 361s with a 261. Biggest difference to me was the weight! I didn't run them side by side but I can't tell that the 261 is any slower, just lighter with a better feel. I loved those 361s but don't miss them now.
Granted I'm cuttin firewood thats 20"-22" at the most usually. The 261 is currently away at training camp in TN. Should be badazz when it gets back.:msp_w00t:

That's just it when you do a few mod's to a 261 it will keep up or even be better than a 361 :taped:

JMO

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
I have a MS 361 that is about 2 years old and have a newer 261, The 261 is more responsive and will cut faster than the 361 while bucking (same log). The 261 is stock and the 361 has a muffler mod (3- 3/8 inch ports). I've never run anyone elses 361 so does this sound normal?

FYI
261 is 18in .325, the 361 is a 20" 3/8.

It is very far from normal, both the faster cutting and the comment about responsiveness.

Something is seriously wrong with that 361.

dpavlock

dpavlock

ArboristSite Lurker
Test results

OK. Here's what I did. Sharpened both chains and set raker height with my depth guages. Dumped fuel, poured in some TRU Fuel. (This is what I usually put in my saws to store them... All I had at the moment other than some month old fuel I made up for my leaf blower and trimmer) Warmed em up a little and compared the cuts through an 18" pine log 3 cuts per saw. The 361 out cut the 261 by about a second and a half. It definitely has more torque than the 261. The 261 just feels a little snappier I think due to the lighter bar, but yes the 361 does have more testicles :rock: . I feel better now, but a little foolish by not comparing them side by side in the same log when I first made this assumption :msp_blushing: Anyway, I feel much better about the saws. 361- Clear advantage :clap:

attachment.php

lone wolf
OK. Here's what I did. Sharpened both chains and set raker height with my depth guages. Dumped fuel, poured in some TRU Fuel. (This is what I usually put in my saws to store them... All I had at the moment other than some month old fuel I made up for my leaf blower and trimmer) Warmed em up a little and compared the cuts through an 18" pine log 3 cuts per saw. The 361 out cut the 261 by about a second and a half. It definitely has more torque than the 261. The 261 just feels a little snappier I think due to the lighter bar, but yes the 361 does have more testicles :rock: . I feel better now, but a little foolish by not comparing them side by side in the same log when I first made this assumption :msp_blushing: Anyway, I feel much better about the saws. 361- Clear advantage :clap:

attachment.php

Now do it in oak!

pro94lt

pro94lt

Addicted to ArboristSite
I found a pristine condition 262xp on craigslist, bought it up thinkging it was going to be an animal, I was very disapointed and honestly my 346 ate it up with a 18 inch bar, the 262 had a 20 but still it was not even close worth the extra weight, i have since sold the 262 and replaced the 262 with a 562, the 562 is a keeper but hey the seat of the pants feel when cutting is what matters, I know your pain!!

H 2 H

H 2 H

FLASHER
To know exactly, I even need to use his saws, which isn't possible - but I don't need to run a single one to make a general statement about the model. There have been more than enough reports from others, for that. :givebeer:

Simple amazing :taped:

A MS 261 with a few simple mods will out run a stock 361 :msp_ohmy:

JMO

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Simple amazing :taped:

A MS 261 with a few simple mods will out run a stock 361 :msp_ohmy:

JMO

Believe what you want to believe, your statements on the 261 are totally off compared to what most people that have used them post anyway. :msp_rolleyes:
You came here with extreme biases already well "implanted" - even by AS standards, and (obviously by now) is not willing to learn a single thing.

The MS361 is basically an excellent 60cc saw (actually 59cc), but the US version is not quite as good as the Euro (German made) ones without a little help (different cylinder and muffler). Regardless of that, if it doesn't beat a 261 with a wide margin, something is seriously wrong - either with that 361, or with the way the comparison was done.
There are good reasons that I still keep the 361 among my (mostly Husky by now) saws, and doesn't consider a 261 to be worthy of getting even close, even though they are realatively cheap here.

cutforfun

cutforfun

Addicted to ArboristSite

attachment.php

No need to defend your self sawtroll, the key word i keep hearing about one saw vs another is "feel" witch dont mean crap. timing the cuts is the real test to see what saw is doing what:cheers:

H 2 H

H 2 H

FLASHER
Believe what you want to believe, your statements on the 261 are totally off compared to what most people that have used them post anyway. :msp_rolleyes:

You came here with extreme biases already well "implanted" - even by AS standards, and (obviously by now) is not willing to learn a single thing.

The MS361 is basically an excellent 60cc saw (actually 59cc), but the US version is not quite as good as the Euro (German made) ones without a little help (different cylinder and muffler). Regardless of that, if it doesn't beat a 261 with a wide margin, something is seriously wrong - either with that 361, or with the way the comparison was done.
There are good reasons that I still keep the 361 among my (mostly Husky by now) saws, and doesn't consider a 261 to be worthy of getting even close, even though they are realatively cheap here.

So basically your saying a ported MS 261 isn't a strong saw ? :taped:

Have you ever ran a ported MS 261 ? :taped:

I've ran a stock MS 361 and a ported MS 261 :taped:

HMMMM; before I bought my MS 261 I ran the Husky 346 before I ordered mine

Before I bought my 70 cc class saw I ran both brands

I really don't know if I ran either brand long enough to make up my mind in your eyes ?

How long should I have ran each brand of saw in your eyes ?

JMO

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector

No, I didn't know that this was about a ported 261 vs. a stock 361. Of course a ported 261 is a strong 50cc saw, but it still is an overly bulky and ill handling saw for a 50cc one - nothing can change that.

There are several indications that a ported 261 isn't up to a ported 550 or 346 though, even with more extensive work that includes deleting the "strato" design - but that is a totally different story. Those are not bulky and ill handling 50cc saws. :msp_wink:

cutforfun

cutforfun

Addicted to ArboristSite

Have you ever ran a ported MS 261 ? :taped:

I've ran a stock MS 361 and a ported MS 261 :taped:

HMMMM; before I bought my MS 261 I ran the Husky 346 before I ordered mine

Before I bought my 70 cc class saw I ran both brands

I really don't know if I ran either brand long enough to make up my mind in your eyes ?

How long should I have ran each brand of saw in your eyes ?

JMO

No body said a thing about ported 261, you yourself said a 261 with a few simple mods would out cut a 361. I agree with sawtroll something is wrong with 361 you were cutting with. i have no doubt the mm 261 is a strong saw, but it will not keep up with a stock 361. muffler mode the 361 and the beating it will only get worse.

I guess i type to slow? sawtroll had it covered

H 2 H

H 2 H

FLASHER
This past summer cutting with a friend on a stand of Alder trees and he had the 361 and I had my 261

We traded saws for most of the morning I felt my 261 was stronger then his 361; granted I feel my saw was better maintained then his and the the b/c were both 18" 3/8's (but I didn't sharpen his chain) I did question him running a 18" bar on a 361 also but I found out why he does :msp_wink:

I even put a 20" 3/8's b/c on my 261 and it still would cut better than the 361 :msp_wink:

My 261 just has some simple mod's done to it nothing anyone here on AS couldn't do (maybe not thu) :jester:

JMO

I wonder what I was say here when I mentioned SIMPLE MOD's :taped:

JMO

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
I wonder what I was say here when I mentioned SIMPLE MOD's :taped:

JMO

I have an idea, that I don't think is fit for sharing on here - but would fit well with your conduct on here...:msp_sneaky:

Btw, your last post could be read as if you have multiple personalities on here, but hopefully that isn't the case.

Last edited:
H 2 H

H 2 H

FLASHER

That's just it when you do a few mod's to a 261 it will keep up or even be better than a 361 # :taped:

JMO

MS 261 and MS 361 are way to close to each other in my eyes (50 cc and 60 cc class) ;)

You do some mod's to a MS 261 there is NO question that it will be the same or better than a stock MS 361 :cool2:

Just remember the are other people that can port saws other than people here on AS :taped:

By the way right now I own three different brands of saws and have owned as many as 5 different brands of saws just this past summer. See I just don't play with different chains for chan saws I play with different brands of chain saws :msp_scared:

JMO

:popcorn:

Last edited:

Latest posts