My 261 feels stronger than my 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpavlock

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a MS 361 that is about 2 years old and have a newer 261, The 261 is more responsive and will cut faster than the 361 while bucking (same log). The 261 is stock and the 361 has a muffler mod (3- 3/8 inch ports). I've never run anyone elses 361 so does this sound normal?

FYI
261 is 18in .325, the 361 is a 20" 3/8.

I am not surprised, I have hardly used my 361 since I got a 261. The 261 sure is one torquey saw for its size.

What I think is that if you want to compare the performance of the power head, you need to use the same b/c on both of them. In other words time your cut with one, then put that b/c on the other saw and time it.

I think your MS361 needs help.Unless you are cutting very small wood a 361 with a muffler mod should kick ass.My brother has a 3 year old MS361 we did a mm on and it rips.

I think your MS361 needs help.Unless you are cutting very small wood a 361 with a muffler mod should kick ass.My brother has a 3 year old MS361 we did a mm on and it rips.

I don't think it does. I've only ran about 20 tanks or so through it. I never really felt a difference in break in as I did with the 261. I took the 361after MM to the Dealer I bought it from to do a free tune up to check the RPM's. They said the carb settings were perfect ( I set the high end myself after the MM from the info I've read on this site), I really don't think there are any issues with the saw itself.

Note the 261 is the Strato version, the 361 is not.

I don't think it does. I've only ran about 20 tanks or so through it. I never really felt a difference in break in as I did with the 261. I took the 361after MM to the Dealer I bought it from to do a free tune up to check the RPM's. They said the carb settings were perfect ( I set the high end myself after the MM from the info I've read on this site), I really don't think there are any issues with the saw itself.

Note the 261 is the Strato version, the 361 is not.

After 10 tanks my brother said his 361 felt stronger and after the warranty ran out we did the mm mod and it was even stronger.Did you pull the plastic limiter on the H then reset and put it back on?Your rpms should have been higher after the mm mod.A dealer won't know the rpms after a muffler mod:confused:

I agree totally ! I MM my 361 and it is a beast, 20" b/c with a full skip chisel.
If it keeps acting up, send it to me :) all get'r running lol

If someone is looking to unload a 361, give me a holler...

After 10 tanks my brother said his 361 felt stronger and after the warranty ran out we did the mm mod and it was even stronger.Did you pull the plastic limiter on the H then reset and put it back on?Your rpms should have been higher after the mm mod.A dealer won't know the rpms after a muffler mod:confused:

I did pull the limiters and adjusted after the MM. It's not (weak) but it just doesn't impress me like the 261... Not as responsive while blipping the throttle. Hell, its not even responsive as my 250 but I know the 250 won't pull the 20 inch B&C either.

I agree. The 261 in smaller normal wood around here will cut alittle faster than a 361. I was never too impressed with my 361.

261 is an awsome saw but theres got to be problem with the 361. Mine ran better than my 362 then I gutted the muffler and added a nice pipe. Now it really rips. Huge difference with the mm. My 361 is now getting ported. I'll post when I'm done.

I love my 261, BUT my muffler modded 361 running a 8 pin sprocket and a 18" bar is truly a beast. If your 361 does not have a clear performance edge over the 261 then something is wrong with your 361 IMO

Steve

I love my 261, BUT my muffler modded 361 running a 8 pin sprocket and a 18" bar is truly a beast. If your 361 does not have a clear performance edge over the 261 then something is wrong with your 361 IMO

Steve

Agreed. In larger Oak the 361 should be faster. Maybe the Op was cutting say 12 inch logs he should put a new chain on it and test them both in a 20 oak log and I will bet the larger CC saw will win every time.

Agreed. In larger Oak the 361 should be faster. Maybe the Op was cutting say 12 inch logs he should put a new chain on it and test them both in a 20 oak log and I will bet the larger CC saw will win every time.

Good point. I need to bury the saws into a 20 inch log and do a comparison. It is probably the shorter bar and .325 chain that makes the 261 feel so responsive. I had been cutting 16 to 18" wood with the saws when I noticed the difference

Off hand, do any of you know if the clutch drums and bars are interchangeable between the saws? I can't remember and don't have the saws in front of me.

The bars will interchange.

I never saw the need for 60cc saws, if you have a good running 50. The 361 is a tough good running saw, but like so many things, it got hyped up so much, it became something it simply wasn't. I had a 361 and a 362, the keyword is had lol. With a good 50cc and 70cc saw, there isn't much you can't cut.

The 361 in the UK is a completely different animal to the one sold in the US.

Heck my 261 won't even run with the 310 I gave my dad let alone a good running 361. Both the 310 and 261 are MM'd with 18'' 3/8. Not even close, btw my 261 is on its way out the door...

Back