My latest rant on Dolmar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windthrown

361 Junkie
Reaction score
OK, now that I live in the outskirts of a major population center in the PNW, rather than living way out in the boonies, I have been looking into buying a Dolmar chainsaw again. Much to my frustration, I have found that I may as well stihl be out in the boonies. Even in the Portland/Vancouver metropolitan area, where there are no less than eight dealers listed on the official Dolmar web site (within 45 miles of me anyway), there are no PS-5100s chainsaws on any shelves to be had. Or 6100, 7900, 350 or 420 saws for that matter.

Here is what I found. On the Dolmar web site, there are 8 dealers listed withing 40 miles of the Portland, Oregon area. Of those, 2 have phone numbers only ring or have weird message machines. That is after 5 days of calling every day. 2 more dealers said flat out that they no longer or do not sell any Dolmar products. Of the four dealers left, 2 said that they did not stock any Dolmar saws, but they can order them. One of those actually had one Dolmar cut-off saw in stock. So I guess that was something. That left two dealers, one in Vancouver and one in Portland that actually had any Dolmar chainsaws in stock at all. One had a lineup of 2 saws: the ps34 and the ps341. Some selection! Wow! The other dealer had 4 or 5 of the smaller saws (two 300 series and two 400 series saws), and she was not sure what ones they had, really. She seemed to be confused. She also said that she could not order a 5100s, as the distributor had the 3 available flagged as committed.

Actually I asked each dealer that I talked to if they could get a 5100s, and only one said that they could actually get one. The rest said that they were back-ordered from the distributor, or that the distributor was back-ordered as well. Or they were not sure. I also asked about the 420 and the 350, and only one dealer knew what they were, and that she should get some in stock maybe in a month or so. But she was not sure of that either.

So, whomever is out there at Dolmar that gives a flying :censored: , please note that Park Rose Mower in Portland, OR does not sell Dolmar products, as stated on the Dolmar web site, and that A-Plus Power equipment in Vancouver, WA no longer sells Dolmar products, aslo listed as such on the Dolmar web site.

I mean geez... :dizzy: time to rethink Husky as an alternative chainsaw for me. I do not care how good the 5100s or the new 350 and 420 saws are. Because I cannot even go look at one, and at best I can order one (maybe) and er, well, where would I get one serviced if I actually needed it???? I can go to a dozen Stihl or Husky dealerships around here and look at, pick up, play with, demo and even PURCHASE (imagine that!!!) any of the entire lineup of Stihl or Husky chainsaws and take one home with me the very same day. Not so with Dolmar. Sorry... I am SOL on doing that.

Last edited:
I found the same thing when I tried to buy locally. Bogus listings on the Dolmar site for dealers.

I absolutely love running the 7900, so I put up with no local dealers. I am going to buy another 7900 at some point (3rd) when I find a source. Fearsome performers, I say, and well worth some hassle to find.

Hey Windy if you can take a 025 apart you aint going to need any servicing done you cant do yourself!

Had similar experience when looking for a 5100.

Found one place remotely close from the website. They were a commercial construction equipment rental place. Didn't "sell" anything dolmar....and from what I saw, they had ONE rental chainsaw. That was their Dolmar.

I realize they just don't have the size or network that stihl or husky has...but they could at least keep tabs of the info on their website and make sure it's accurate. OR seriously modify what it takes to be considered a "dealer".

Last edited:
There are two "Dolmar" dealers in the Rochester area and neither carry any product in stock. As far as I can tell the only real Dolmar dealer in western NY is Edge and Engine about 100 miles away. They seem to be a good product but they need to get their act together to be a serious player in the market place. If you don't have any product in stock, or parts on the shelf you are not a dealer and should not be listed on the website as one, plain and simple.

Last edited:
I know what you are going thru. I don't need those kind of hassles. My business quickly goes elsewhere when I run into that situation for anything.

Went down that road last year for my brother , tried to find a 5100 with all the dealers around , the answer was always " I have 540's never had a 5100"
The closest one was 150 miles away :( so MS260 it was .

:cheers:

Howdy,
Experience talking here. If you want to have folks that will ship you a Dolmar, Stihl, or Husqvarna, don't mention them by name in a open forum. You should PM the info., or risk loosing them. I realize that your hearts are in the right place trying to send some business their way but, you could end up hurting them.
Gregg

Years later, the same old story...

It makes me want to become a Dolmar dealer, so I can share the joy of Dolmar products with others...wonder what it would take, investment-wise...

I hear you there, but the challenge would be selling Dolmar without taking away from my other saw brand sales.

That makes little sense

I hear you there, but the challenge would be selling Dolmar without taking away from my other saw brand sales.

Would it really matter whether you sold a stihl or a Dolmar to a walk in customer? Sell him something before he goes on down the road.

My Dolmar experience was the complete opposite.

I found a nearby dealer on the Dolmar website that is a stealth operation..in fact I had been by the place dozens of times and never knew he was there. My phone call was returned within 45 minutes and he has at least one of every model hanging around that you can handle. I'll prolly buy a Dolmar because of him.

BloodOnTheIce - if you are looking for a Dolmar dealer closer than 100 miles, PM me. I have every saw IN STOCK, and am only 60 miles from Rochester.

Would it really matter whether you sold a stihl or a Dolmar to a walk in customer? Sell him something before he goes on down the road.

I agree - for the customer who wants a saw, it makes no difference. For the customer who wants a Stihl, he can still have one. The customer who wants a Dolmar was never going to be your customer anyway.

I agree - for the customer who wants a saw, it makes no difference. For the customer who wants a Stihl, he can still have one. The customer who wants a Dolmar was never going to be your customer anyway.

Unless he's an AS member - sadly CAD dictates he must have both

I'm running round the world to finish a 166 and along the way I found a good running 153 that screamed out ' Daddy ' :cry:

Latest posts

Back