My local dealer just refused service to me, any recs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DanMan1 said:
I guess I got the impression from all the resentment towards the box stores that some of the small dealers were on the brink of failure.
The person that you were referring to Dan is not a factory dealer. He deals in recycled saws and parts from what I can see. Alot of small dealers always have trouble staying afloat regardless of who their competition is. Being small is always tough, simple economy of scale.

One factor that caused major heartburn for many small Husky dealers is that Husky yanks the dealership if enough unit sales volume isn`t occuring, yet Husky will set up the local Sears or Lowe`s to be a dealer who competes with them for unit sales whether the big box sells one or a hundred saws a month. Needless to say, the box stores can literally be taking food from the mouth of the small dealer who may need a few extra sales a month. Yeah this is an issue between Husky and it`s dealers but who rubs the issue under the nose of the dealer? The customer who comes in with their Sears bought saw. An ironic sidebar to this issue is that the box stores don`t normally sell for any less than a real dealer.
DanMan1 said:
The problem as I see it is that the dealer/manufacturer tension is being mis-directed at the customer. The homeowner didn't make the decision for the manufacturer to sell to the box stores.
Maybe the dealer/manufacturer tension is being misdirected at the customer, but the customer is the one who ultimately decided to buy from the box store. The customer does not have the ability to say that it was an issue of service if he ultimately goes to the dealer for maintenance or repair when he effectively snubbed him on the sale. It can`t be had both ways.

One thing that many customers probably could legitimately say is that going to the dealer makes them feel intimidated and ignorant where most often in a box store you simply wait long enough for a sales clerk to deliver your item to the sales desk, knowing that you know as much or more about the product than they do.

Now in a perfect world where dealers accept everyone who crosses their threshold with open arms, a consumer with minimal knowledge should recognize the value buying the initial service that good dealers provide.

Yeah, in a perfect world.

Many dealers need to work on their people skills and too many consumers need to work on their reasoning skills in determining what truly is the best value, service with the initial sale or being able to be the manly man as they stroll the mall with their new chainsaw tucked proudly beneath their arm.
DanMan1 said:
I still think at the right business a good teenager would be more than qualified to work on cheap saws.:)
I believe in teaching kids everything we can but "good teenager" is almost oxymoronic. Most of them are only "good" as long as it is something they are interested in like chasing girls and hearing tires squeal before covering a quick quarter mile. With teenagers being the center of the universe, I can`t see how too many of them can be good for a customer service oriented business. I already tried this theorem many years ago in retail management and it didn`t work then when kids were still semi respectful of other people, how is it going to be better today?

Russ

For me, the "bottom line" is the bottom line. If an item is identical, but yet if two or more stores have it priced differently, I'm going to buy at the lowest price I can get. I would be a fool to pay more than I'd have to.

I do try to patronize my local stores / dealers, if and only if, they are going to be competitive. It always amazes me that a price difference can be so great.

I always "shop around" when it comes to making a major purchase. I do my homework in advance, learn about the item / product I'm intending to buy, if I don't know much about it.

Knowledge is power, and power can save you $$!

Thanks for the advice to everbody. I learned a lot from the posts. Some tried to imply that I made this up, I did not. Some tried to imply that I wouldn't pay $50 since I stated I couldn't afford a Husky saw. Well all I can say is that I have more or less unlimited access to my dad's chainsaw and only need a saw about 3x-4x a year so it didn't really make sense to go out and buy a $400 chainsaw, I wanted a saw of my own but didn't want to buy a crappy Craftsman etc, so when the great deal on the Husky came up I bought it. Maybe I am too practical and some people out there confused this with cheap and, evidently, also a liar. I am also practical enough to know that after lucking into a $160 savings on a saw, spending $50 on an hour of a professional's time to familiarize myself with it, maybe get some tips on problem areas, etc would be money well spent, and I am still $110 ahead.

The dealer has the right to refuse service to anyone. IN MY OPINION, he has done himself a disservice by shunning my business. Maybe he is busy enough that he can afford to do so. Maybe he is so busy he can't afford NOT to do so.

I am sure someone else will be willing to help me out when needed with my saw. The shop in question is very close to my house and has a good reputation but there are others in the general area that likely do good work, just need to find out who they are. Through this website I have made the acquaintance of a local Partner fan that I think will help me out on this.

DanMan1 said:
Russ,

I remember when I got out of high school and started college, I spent my summers working as a mechanic at a boat yard. I think I was 18 or 19 at the time. I was not qualified to completely rebuild a lower unit, or the other time consuming specialized 'years of experience required' repairs, but I capably handled most general repairs, and new boat setups. The big jobs were set aside for the full time 'A' mechanic making twice what I was plus benifits. I remember quite a few customers actually tried to 'stear' their repairs towards me instead of the main mechanic. Maybe I did a good job before? I'm not sure why, but I know the marina owner was laughing his way to the bank with the savings he had with me.

DanMan1,

You are a pretty smart guy based on many things I`ve seen you post so you may well have been an exceptional young employee. Like I stated earlier, in my prior experience, employment of teenagers is a gamble, probably best reserved for menial labor positions where a ramrod stands by to keep `em moving. Every once in a while a teenager comes along that I really like and she usually has brown or auburn hair and blue eyes.... er ah I mean this person usually has an uncommon commitment to doing the job the best that they can. Recently I`m really fed up with young people who are intelligent, some well educated, and who think that they are so smart or educated that they can just walk around ass kissing and speaking buzz words in lieu of actually doing their jobs.

Russ

Some well thought out comments here by both DanMan and Jokers.

So much of what we are talking about here has as much to do with attitude as it does with principal, doesn't it? Looking back, the original guy walked into a deal that you couldn't really blame hime for taking advantage of. So this particular case boils down to his attitude when he walked into the dealer, which we aren't sure of. He does use the possessive "My dealer", which in my book only applies to a guy who has done business in the past. I'm not "your" dealer if you bought it somewhere else.

Have to disagree with Dano, as there is more than the bottom line. Having the parts to get you going, (quickly, because we only work on our own stuff!), is worth something. On pricing, we are quite a bit below promo pricing and have a good reputation for our prices. we have had to face the reality that there are simply too many Husky dealers and that creates a downward preasure on prices. Same goes for the Stihl guys, box stores or not. Dealer density sounds like a good idea for another thread!

Now there is one dude down in Alabama who thinks ALL Husky dealers and ALL Stihl dealers, not to mention BMW are no good. Now there is a guy who should make us thankful for internet sales!

I still get a kick out of the guys who have the "Report 'em to Husky" approach. I suppose the little neighborhood tattle-tale doesn't always grow up, but Husky can't require some dealers to do service, while allowing others to offer no service. You simply can't have selective enforcement of such a policy.

Finally, I'll be ????ed if a UFO didn't land in my backyard Saturday! And it screwed up the drain field. Now I've got a problem with radioactive waste!!!

Gixxerjim, don't take too much of what was said personally. This subject is a hot topic that has been argued many times here at AS. Emotions tend to run high.

Please stick around and post what ever questions you have about your saw. Folks will have cooled down, and will offer their input when you ask for it. About now I'd like to put in a really profound quote, but I can't think of one.

Aw ra best! Chris J.

Not to worry, it's inevitable that some people perceive things that aren't there or have a predisposition to make negative assumptions etc.

By "my local dealer" I only meant "the dealer closest to me"...I have never been to the shop since I have never owned my own chainsaw before. The entire conversation I had with "THE" local dealer occurred over the phone while I was on lunch at work.

Maybe had I brought my saw in and talked to him in person he would have handled it differently.

For now, I think I will do as much research (thanks arboristsite.com!) as I can and learn to maintain, tune and improve, if possible, my saw myself. Never dealt with 2strokes much before so I have some to learn!

Thanks to everyone again! Funny thing about this is I really like cutting wood and only need to do it on my big two acre lot (sarcasm here) a few times a year so I may have to go looking for "work"!

No business is that good!

Our economy is not that good right now. Any dealer whether chainsaws, lawn mowers or cars, relies on the service to make money. The markup on the equipment is not that great. He should be ashamed of himself and I wouldn't go back. Find someone that wants your business.

Maybe i missed something here, how does the one Dealer even know where you bought the saw? Customer service is a premium that everyone can offer to the "Customer" seems to me the customer service you got sucked. Shouldnt be a frown on Husqvarna unless they have reports like this from this dealer seeing as how they sell to him directly. Any way you look it, it sours your taste for the product. At least that is how I feel as a consumer. I use to buy Sony products, but no more as they treated me like total &hit once and it was the last time. It started at the dealer and I took it directly to Sony and their regional service manager, they did not even have the decency to call me back. I know they are not out of business and nor will they be because of me. But I refuse to purchase from them any more and I tell this story every chance i get.

When I was first interested in the Dolmar 7900 I looked at the Makita equivalent, the Makita 7901. I talked to a local Makita rep he offered to let me run the 7901 for a week with no strings attached. I stated that no one else is doing this and his response was "well we are trying to change that". That is what I like to see in customer service!!!

That is customer service before the sale. Customer service after the sale keeps them coming back.

I went to the Husqvarna website to see what was available for local dealers and service. I entered my zip code and a list of nearby dealers was displayed. Above the list of dealers were these three lines:

If you purchased your equipment at...
Lowes, please call 1-888-775-6937 for service instructions.
Sear's, please call 1-800-488-1222 for service instructions.

Since I didn't purchase my saw from either of these retailers I didn't call to see what the service instructions were. But I suspect that if you complain to Husky about the dealer not wanting to provide service you won't get much more satisfaction than to receive one of these two phone numbers.

If you go to Husqvarna web site under service you will find this line
If you purchased your equipment at...
Lowes, please call 1-888-775-XXXX for service instructions.
Sear's, please call 1-800-488-XXXX for service instructions.
I am sure that Sears and Husqvarna have made sure you will be taken care of. However it may or may not be at this dealer. It has been my experience that manufactures warranty rates are so low that a shop could never turn a profit given the low labor rates, extra paperwork, denied and reduced claims. If there were large profits to be made servicing this equipment then there would be large chains in this market with stores in every city and town. I bet it very hard to just cover your cost and keep your rates low enough that costumers don’t just fix it there self or buy new.

Walt

Walt is correct on this!

Terry;

I hope your viewpoint on this isn't an indication that Dolmar is heading for the box stores. Please go back and look at my previous posts in this thread to see where I'm coming from on this issue.

As long as the dealer wasn't rude, he has done nothing wrong in "choosing" not to service sears customers. (The word "refused" has an arrogant connotation)

When is someone going to ask about sears' obligation to this customer? After all, they sold it. How about if someone posts that they bought a saw from Lowes and then took it back and Lowes "refused" to service it. How dare they! Call Husky and rat 'em out! There's a state law that they HAVE to service it!ave the Lowes' mechanic arrested! Oh, wait a minute, there isn't any.

No Dolmar is not going to the big box stores. My views are my personal views on the subject not corporate as we dont have these issues as we dont sell Dolmar at the box stores. How about this from another angle. I by a product in Houston, Texas and then move to Atlanta, Georgia. The local dealer refuses me service because I did not buy it from them. So I am basically screwed. My feeling is that as a company you make a commitment to service the product. But also in light of the post from walta and desdawg, it seems to me that Husky has made provisions for the saws sold at the boxes to be handled seperately.

A guy that moves to the area from another state is an obvious exception to this situation, and I wouldn't turn him away.

As a company, I've made a commitment to service my customer, not "the product". I have no obligation to take care of stuff bought elsewhere, same brand or not. Again, what about some "commitment" from the box stores?

Gee, I guess you could say that I have strong feelings on this issue, huh?

I agree with you on the commitment to the service the customer not the product. I as a consumer understand that. My issue with Sony just really set me off as they only sell through big box stores and the consumer depends on the factory owned service centers to take care of problems. Well they failed horribly on my case. Now I also have to say that many years ago I worked for Sears at the service center in Shreveport, LA. Sears (back then) did service what they sold. Cant really say why they dropped that program but we had service techs in the building to service everything Sears sold, from TV's to Chainsaws. I think done right that service can be a money making customer service. Also if I had to take my equipment back to one of the larger big box stores for service, Knowing what i Know, I would feel real comfortable about the guy from carpet working on my chainsaw that day. Turn over is high, experience is low my comfort even lower. So to protect my investment I want it serviced by a service center that I feel comfortable with. I guess you could say I too feel strongly about the subject.

New to the site. My 2 cents

My 2 cents take it or leave it.

I really like small businesses, If they sell something I use they know me by name and get most of my business. If I can buy something ALOT cheaper online, then I get it alot cheaper. But when It is time to have it repaired or looked at, They get the business, sometimes they ask where I got it, since they do not remember selling it to me and I tell them I got too good of a deal to pass on it and it is left at that. I make my money and I spend my money that is my job. It is there job, if they want my money to do a good job at what ever I am paying them to do, or I move on down the road, along with everyone else I know.

I personally would not waste my time ever taking anything into his store. I have a part time job as a supervisor at a towing company, one small shop in town was enraged that I had told the customer what we charged the shop for towing there car in, so when the customer got the bill and noticed they where being charged double what we charged them they complained. well needless to say the shop did not handle the situation correctly, instead of calling me and requesting that we do not tell there customers in the future, which i would not have agreed to anyway, but might have came to some sort of agreement. They called screaming into the phone since his customer refused to pay.

Then a month later calling me asking me how it is going, wondering why we have not towed any cars in this month, I think he almost passed out when I told him simply because when ever someone asks to be towed into ur shop, I offer them a free tow to anyother shop in town. I failed to tell them it was only 15 cars, which costed me about $500, but cost him several thousand.

I have never had a displeased customer, that I could not fully handle the problem. which is why I will not let my drivers tow into his shop, it is bad business for us to tow someones car into a shop that has a poor customer satisfaction record.

I do not understand when someone said that just because u had saved 160 bucks on the saw, U are a liar because u wanted to spend 50 bucks to have it checked up and tuned up. Must be so nice that u can always pay retail and throw money down the drain.

I give u two thumbs up for the great deal on the saw and understand that u wanted it looked at since u did not know alot about the saw, but still wanted to take care of it. I wish u look finding a good dealer close by.

Back