My neighbor is burning RR ties....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AOD

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
and phone poles. I saw him the other day with his trailer full of old, rotten ties and a chunk of old phone pole. I knew he scrounged them from someplace, he didn't have them laying around. He doesn't just burn them either, he lets them smolder, it's so nasty, and then his wife throws trash, diapers, all sorts of nasty crap on the fire and that all smolders too.

This is in town, where the houses are close together!

That can't be good...
Freaky-Cat-1064.jpg

Would it be better if he was burning it in a nice hot fire ? or in the middle of the night ?

Got a place you can take him to cut with you ? Help yourself by helping him a little. Cheap saws are handy for this if he doesn't have one of his own.

damn, that deserves a free ticket to darwin awards... first of all, burning railroad ties makes toxic smoke becouse of the treating and same goes for phone poles too...

damn, that deserves a free ticket to darwin awards... first of all, burning railroad ties makes toxic smoke becouse of the treating and same goes for phone poles too...

:agree2: It doesn't matter what time of the day it gets burned or how hot the fire is. An open fire doesnt get hot enough to burn it completely or to detoxify it.

Would it be better if he was burning it in a nice hot fire ? or in the middle of the night ?

Got a place you can take him to cut with you ? Help yourself by helping him a little. Cheap saws are handy for this if he doesn't have one of his own.

Burning at night means less people out where the smoke is. Burning hot means more complete combustion and less smoke, meaning the crap will burn up faster and hotter instead of sitting and smoldering.

The guy has 8 cords of wood stacked behind his garage. He has all the wood he wants at a woodlot a few miles out of town. I have no idea why he burns ties, I guess because he just doesn't care.

I will not cut with him anymore because I spend more time fixing his WildThing for him than I do running my own saw, he always drags his young grandkids along and all they do is complain and get in the way, and whenever I try to help him all he does is preach at me and tell me how I am messing up my life.

He was afraid,

and phone poles. I saw him the other day with his trailer full of old, rotten ties and a chunk of old phone pole. I knew he scrounged them from someplace, he didn't have them laying around. He doesn't just burn them either, he lets them smolder, it's so nasty, and then his wife throws trash, diapers, all sorts of nasty crap on the fire and that all smolders too.

This is in town, where the houses are close together!

That you would not have anything to complain about today.

This guy is giving outdoor wood boilers a bad name. Not to mention emitting toxic smoke into the already polluted world. Go have a man to man talk with him. Explain what I just said. If that don't work call the code inforcement officer. If that don't work call the EPA!!!

RR ties and poles are not bad, as long as they are only poached in creosote. If they are treated with other stuff though, they can create some very toxic fumes. As for burning garbage, that's bad news. Letting any wood smolder is not a good idea either; more smoke and particles in the air from doing that. Small hot fires are best. Somehow I would imagine that this trud does not know anything about what is best. Probably down at the moron level.

We had a neighbor that used to burn wiring insulation off of copper wire and sell it when the price was high. We turned his arse in for that. He is still peeved at us, but I do not care. He is doing his part lowering the IQ in the census records for this area.

when he isnt home spray foam the inside of the stack of his OWB, this will stop the smoke, and maybe he will get the hint that some of the neighbours dont like the toxic smoke:monkey:

Burning at night means less people out where the smoke is

However, at night time smoke will usually not disperse as well -- hanging closer to the ground, etc.

If you had to and were concerned about human exposure, a hot fire on a nice sunny day with a stiff breeze would let the smoke column climb then be blown away to dilute it.

There's Americas problem.

you got joe who burns RR ties and Teli Poles

tthen you got bob who drives a prius

just like that whatever that guy is saving with the prius joe is taking away with his burning x10:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

when he isnt home spray foam the inside of the stack of his OWB, this will stop the smoke, and maybe he will get the hint that some of the neighbours dont like the toxic smoke:monkey:

He doesn't have an OWB, he is burning it all in his Franklin stove. He's burned wood all his life, but he's an old farmer and old farmers burned everything, and I mean everything. Therefore, he just doesn't care.

There's Americas problem.

you got joe who burns RR ties and Teli Poles

tthen you got bob who drives a prius

just like that whatever that guy is saving with the prius joe is taking away with his burning x10:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:
I've been reading your post and just now realized that you are only 16. I must say for such a young man you have really got your head on straight. Most guys your age don't have the ability to act mature like you do on this forum. My hats off to you, We need a lot more like ya.

I've been reading your post and just now realized that you are only 16. I must say for such a young man you have really got your head on straight. Most guys your age don't have the ability to act mature like you do on this forum. My hats off to you, We need a lot more like ya.

haha you sir have just made my day.

i tend to get along better with more aged people so inturn my maturity level is above average.

How many saw weilding 16 year olds do you know

Been there, done that

I have burned ties before. There really wasn't much choice. Out of wood, truck broke, middle of winter, the only option was to fix the broken gas furnace and figure out how to pay the bill.

We burned the ties. It was a special double wall pipe all the way out, and I would literally ignite a chimney fire once a week to keep it cleaned out :jawdrop:

That was then, this is now. I still will burn a few "questionables" but not like the fella you are dealing with.

Latest posts

Back