My neighbor is burning RR ties....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
haha you sir have just made my day.

i tend to get along better with more aged people so inturn my maturity level is above average.

How many saw weilding 16 year olds do you know
I remember when I was 16, I was pretty much a punk.
You know when dad wasn't around.
hehheh.jpg

AOD,

If they are Ties from around here, it ain't just creosote on 'em.
They are Toxic. The Fly ash is a real hazzard for them. It could kill them.

The RR guys down here will tell ya flat out that slivers from those things are worse than treated lumber, especially the older ones that were laid down and are just getting pulled up now. Back in the day, the Ties around here were treated with LOTS of evil crap, plus the Creosote because of the wet rot problems.

I understand the old Dutch farmer issue, good luck with that.
Maybe someone could dig up the news article about the family that got sick and dead from burning treated lumber, and you could kinda break it to him.
I don't think he would knowingly endanger his grandkids.

All ya can do is try I reckon.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I know a guy who is a lineman for the power company. He just bought a OWB just to burn the old poles. I saw the boiler when he first got it, I would like to see what the thing looks like after a year of burning them.

This guy is giving outdoor wood boilers a bad name. Not to mention emitting toxic smoke into the already polluted world. Go have a man to man talk with him. Explain what I just said. If that don't work call the code inforcement officer. If that don't work call the EPA!!!

Whoa!! calling the EPA is like inviting a vampire into your home. Be careful!!!

Burning at night means less people out where the smoke is. Burning hot means more complete combustion and less smoke, meaning the crap will burn up faster and hotter instead of sitting and smoldering.

The guy has 8 cords of wood stacked behind his garage. He has all the wood he wants at a woodlot a few miles out of town. I have no idea why he burns ties, I guess because he just doesn't care.

I will not cut with him anymore because I spend more time fixing his WildThing for him than I do running my own saw, he always drags his young grandkids along and all they do is complain and get in the way, and whenever I try to help him all he does is preach at me and tell me how I am messing up my life.

Sounds like you have already gone through what I suggested and it hasn't worked well. He has a saw, he has wood and a place to cut. He just doesn't know not to burn anything but wood in his wood stove. If he can't be helped by you , or won't be helped then make a few calls. But don't think that doing the same thing on a smaller scale is better.

I still dont see how burning toxic waste in an open fire is going to get it hot enough that it is no longer toxic. It is just released faster and broken down into smaller, less visible particles. Even burning it at night doesnt help reduce the cumulative effect, just no one else knows it is going on. "Cleansed by fire" is like saying "It burns as clean as a candle".

When the wind blows it away, where is 'away' ? Would that be the "Peeing Section" vs the "No Peeing Section" of the swimming pool ?

i tend to get along better with more aged people

Ha ha. StihlSawing is aged.

Hey, I found your home here on a map. I'll stop by later. I'll bring the steaks, if you can scrounge up some hickory bark for the bbq.

BTW, no one on this site has ever accused me of being mature for my age - or at all for that matter. I wonder why? :confused:

Last edited:
He doesn't have an OWB, he is burning it all in his Franklin stove. He's burned wood all his life, but he's an old farmer and old farmers burned everything, and I mean everything. Therefore, he just doesn't care.

He will care a lot when the creosote accumulating in his chimney causes a chimney fire!

Slow or fast, the toxic chemicals in treated wood will reach out and kill people.

Last edited:
Ha ha. StihlSawing is aged.

Hey, I found your home here on a map. I'll stop by later. I'll bring the steaks, if you can scrounge up some hickory bark for the bbq.

BTW, no one on this site has ever accused me of being mature for my age - or at all for that matter. I wonder why? :confused:

ha ha SS he called you Sir!
LMAO, You guys are tough on an old geezer.

Too bad the topic of burning the ties and poles and diapers is not a minor topic. Just think, this is only one instance of a polluter that is being brought to light. Multiply that number of assassins by 10 or 100 or 1000 or who knows how many. Take that wood burning stove away from that guy! ..........:jawdrop:

Too bad the topic of burning the ties and poles and diapers is not a minor topic. Just think, this is only one instance of a polluter that is being brought to light. Multiply that number of assassins by 10 or 100 or 1000 or who knows how many. Take that wood burning stove away from that guy! ..........:jawdrop:

When my kids where young I always burnt up the crappy diapers in the winter....that way they only stunk for a little bit:)

Latest posts

Back