My new 500, lets talk Partners.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is the Partner 500 I just picked up. Its in nice shape and runs great.

It was a ebay deal I couldnt resist, and it was from a seller that I had delt with before. It was supposed to be without issues but it came with the common on these cracked front handle.

The seller stepped up to the plate with a complete 5000 handle setup for it, which in my mind is a much better setup.

I want to thank EVA sawman for helping me out with a NOS 500 handle but this was before the selller hooked me up with the 5000 setup. I'm happy to have the spare handle as I have a couple of these and may need it in the future.

I put a fresh 20LPX chain on it the other day and man will it cut!

Can anyone decode the serial # on this one? It's 6310266 and I would like to know the year of it since its marked Pioneer/Partner and I'm still trying to get grip on the goings on in the years that ELUX was in charge.

What years were the black and yellow ones made? My neighbor has one and I'll get the serial # off of it also.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

It was a ebay deal I couldnt resist, and it was from a seller that I had delt with before. It was supposed to be without issues but it came with the common on these cracked front handle.

The seller stepped up to the plate with a complete 5000 handle setup for it, which in my mind is a much better setup.

I want to thank EVA sawman for helping me out with a NOS 500 handle but this was before the selller hooked me up with the 5000 setup. I'm happy to have the spare handle as I have a couple of these and may need it in the future.

Can anyone decode the serial # on this one? It's 6310266 and I would like to know the year of it since its marked Pioneer/Partner and I'm still trying to get grip on the goings on in the years that ELUX was in charge.

What years were the black and yellow ones made? My neighbor has one and I'll get the serial # off of it also.

DANG it Mark !! how do you pull off all this stuff ??
been trying to find a handle for my 500 that has none at all with no luck..
can you post what fits so i can look in more places ??
nice saw BTW... tnx..

DANG it Mark !! how do you pull off all this stuff ??
been trying to find a handle for my 500 that has none at all with no luck..
can you post what fits so i can look in more places ??
nice saw BTW... tnx..

Do yourself a favor and quit looking for the 500 handle and get the 5000 setup instead if you plan on useing it. You need the front handle, rear antivibe mount and the lower brace to make it work.

As Andy would say,

"You beat everything, Barney Fife"

Does that one run as well as the other one?

Mike

Last edited:
Does the Jonsered 490 and 590 handles fit the Partner 500, most of the other parts do.
Pioneerguy600

Jerry, the 490 and the 500 share the same handles. The 590 and 5000 also share the same.

We know that the 5000 is a improved version of the 500 and the lower handle brace seemed to be a upgrade as it takes alot of stress off of the front lower antivibe spring.

It seems the 500 handle puts alot of pressure on it and it bends too far over and ends up cracking the handles near the upper right side mount.

Here is the cracked 500 handle.

attachment.php

Jerry, the 490 and the 500 share the same handles. The 590 and 5000 also share the same.

We know that the 5000 is a improved version of the 500 and the lower handle brace seemed to be a upgrade as it takes alot of stress off of the front lower antivibe spring.

It seems the 500 handle puts alot of pressure on it and it bends too far over and ends up cracking the handles near the upper right side mount

Thanks Mark, then my 500 has a 5000 handle on it as it looks just like the one on your saw. The 590 I fixed for a friend, it needed a recoil side cover and internals, also had that same handle on it.

Pioneerguy600

P500

I guess I'm not alone after all...there are others who like what these saws offer. I was given a P500 last summer that had sat for 20 years in a garage. With a new carb kit, fuel lines and a good check over it was running strong in no time. 135# compression and still lot's of life remaining. With a new bar, sprocket assy and a couple chains I've used it regularly cutting firewood etc ever since and honestly can't believe how smooth it runs, I'd almost say no vibrations. Thanks for the tip regarding the upper handle cracking. Never noticed until I checked but mine has a small crack in the typical place. These cracks must be stress related after forming the concave handle attach point? No problem, I have got along with this saw so well I grabbed another one for $50 just to have some parts. It turned out to have 165# and only a "few" hours run time.
Initially I had thoughts of selling this Partner and buying a new Dolmar as we have a good dealer nearby. But the more I use the Partner the less need I see for trading to a brand new saw. There has been a whack of great info provided thru the members of this forum. Sure am grateful for all that has been offered. And to make this post complete, here's a couple pics. Thanks guys!
May1310003.jpg

May1310002.jpg

partner

i had 1 , and let a friend talk me out of it :mad: he needed a fire wood saw on a budjet just out of his divorce and all . it flat hauled the mail . aside from a dated tank vent and air filter desighn . nothing a nylon rubber banded over the filter wouldent help keep clean. they are cutting machines and well respected up in north michigan mine was an 1984 model and ran very, very well . way ahead of there time as far as im concerned. a real wolf in sheeps clothes if ya will.

The 590 I had had the same handle as the one in the pictures.

And it's new owner likes that saw. :cheers:

The 490'590 allowed the local Jonsered dealers at the time to offer a decent saw in this cc class. They were better than the 450/455/525 etc family of saws that were a letdown after the 451E and 49SP/52E. Actual Partner labeled saws are very rare in my area, as Partner was just never strong around here.

I haven't tried to order 490/590 parts from Tilton for these saws, so I can't say what type of parts support might still be there, but my guess would be minimal. A better bet would be through the Poulan distribution system, as many of these parts were still in use when Pioneer/Partner was folded into Poulan Pro. Same goes for some of the Pioneer stuff. You'd be surprised at some of the stuff that's in there.

Latest posts

Back