My new 500, lets talk Partners.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mark,, you:censored:! lol jus kidn. sweet saw. that was the very first saw i owned. i wish i could find another. i cant wait for someone to say that a 346 is better:chainsaw:

Yep great saws! Light with lots of power. I run a 16", 3/8 full chisel on my 5000 and she pulls through red oak with amazing speed. These are the saws that after you run them you say, DAM, how did they ever go out of business.:jawdrop:

Thanks for the tip regarding the upper handle cracking. Never noticed until I checked but mine has a small crack in the typical place. These cracks must be stress related after forming the concave handle attach point?

But the more I use the Partner the less need I see for trading to a brand new saw.

No I don't think the forming of the handle has anything to do with it. Its that weak, floppy front handle lower mount that causes it in my thinking.

I hear you on the new saw as most would not be a major upgrade.

And it's new owner likes that saw. :cheers:

The 490'590 allowed the local Jonsered dealers at the time to offer a decent saw in this cc class. They were better than the 450/455/525 etc family of saws that were a letdown after the 451E and 49SP/52E.

They were better then all that you listed if you ask me! But truthfully I have not ran all you listed, just some.

mark,, you:censored:! lol jus kidn. sweet saw. that was the very first saw i owned. i wish i could find another. i cant wait for someone to say that a 346 is better:chainsaw:

If it is, it isnt enough to make me lose any sleep over.

Yep great saws! Light with lots of power. I run a 16", 3/8 full chisel on my 5000 and she pulls through red oak with amazing speed. These are the saws that after you run them you say, DAM, how did they ever go out of business.:jawdrop:

Thats a good question and part of the reason I started this thread as I would like to know more about the history of these Partner saws myself.

I wonder if when Partner was taken over by ELUX if they were in good shape as a company, or were they in dire $ staits like Pioneer was?

Went to a yard sale yesterday, guys walking down the drive with a Partner 500 and a Pioneer P-26. Both for $50.00.

:censored::bang::censored::bang:

Nice saw Mark, she will clean up real nice.

:givebeer:

Nice find Mark! I'll say it, it's not a 346 but they run well. I really like mine keep trying to find me a nice 5000.

Went to a yard sale yesterday, guys walking down the drive with a Partner 500 and a Pioneer P-26. Both for $50.00.

:censored::bang::censored::bang:

Nice saw Mark, she will clean up real nice.

:givebeer:

That blows.....

Nice find Mark! I'll say it, it's not a 346 but they run well. I really like mine keep trying to find me a nice 5000.

I'll do that as I have a 5000 already but if I find a 5000 plus then its every man for himself. :givebeer:

Nope like I said, I never claimed one to be a 346 but I'll bet my PP325 would be close. Del said his will outcut his 5100 though.

Honestly though I have kinda had the bug for a 5100 or a 346 but with these Partners I have I'm not sure the upgrade would be worth the money spent.

I'd definately like to give that 325 a try. I've yet to run a 5000 or a 5000+. My favorite is still the 346(oe) and I have a great running 5100, 026 and the 500 but as far as cutting speed it would take a stop watch to decide btw the 4 if speed is the deciding factor.

Yeah thats pretty much what I was figureing that they would be close anyway.

I don't take a stop watch out with me cutting anyway to do you? LOL
I don' even own a stop watch.

I know there nice light little fast cutters that handle well.

IF we ever catch up, the 325 is yours to try for sure.

Your definately right, all are nice saws. I don't one a stopwatch either that would be money spent that I could spend on a new chain. New chain wins every time.

Phew! When I saw the title of this thread.......

Just glad it isn't a follow on to "they gay logger's thread"

Nice saw, Mark. Both of my kids will be in school next year. CAD will be going full-on then! Maybe there will be a few of these gems left for me.

So did we ever find out what the difference was between the 500 and 5000?...Is it an open port vs closed port?...The rear handle?...The stickers?...

Now were talking and thats the questions I was looking for when starting this. Seems very few here even have a clue about Patner saws.

To you question I myself have come to believe that they were different in the fact that the 500 was indeed open port while the 5000 were closed, or was it the 5000 plus that was closed?

The handle is defininatly different between them.

how does that strap on the clutch side, handle to av mount?,come into play? does it keep the handle from going back any further ?

ive never seen anything like it before.

I have two of them now, I ran one last fall and fel in love with how smooth and how fast that thing was. Cut-4-Fun turned me onto them, he has a couple fast ones, I have a pipe for one right now I'm copying for one I'm having ported, should be a 346 eater when it's done!

Here's the first one I bought
Partner5kplus2041.jpg

Here's the second, 5000+ Really clean but has a scored piston.
DSC03240.jpg

DSC03237.jpg

DSC03238.jpg

DSC03235.jpg

Last edited:
I know the 500 I had apart a while back that I broke the rear handle on was open port...

By looking at the picture that Frank posted of his 5000+ it has a windowed piston so I am assuming it has closed ports...

Also the one I worked on had a black body instead of yellow?...All of the plastic was yellow?...:confused:

I have two of them now, I ran one last fall and fel in love with how smooth and how fast that thing was. Cut-4-Fun turned me onto them, he has a couple fast ones, I have a pipe for one right now I'm copying for one I'm having ported, should be a 346 eater when it's done!

Here's the first one I bought
Partner5kplus2041.jpg

Here's the second, 5000+ Really clean but has a scored piston.
DSC03240.jpg

DSC03237.jpg

DSC03238.jpg

DSC03235.jpg

Nice ones Frank. Seems the 5000+ is for sure a closed port. I cant tell in the picture, but is the other a + also. If not is it a closed port also?

I see another trend in that the Pioneer Partner models all seem to have the grey handles while the original Partners had black handles.

Where you getting the piston for the 5000+?

I know the 500 I had apart a while back that I broke the rear handle on was open port...

By looking at the picture that Frank posted of his 5000+ it has a windowed piston so I am assuming it has closed ports...

Also the one I worked on had a black body instead of yellow?...All of the plastic was yellow?...:confused:

My neighbors 500 is mostly black also. Next time I see it I'll check the date on it.

Back