My new Husqvarna 346 XP NE arrived. Now I have questions...............

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's just so many variables to take into consideration, and while they are many they are also of different weight.
* The 20LP you've been looking at is a .325 pitch chisel tooth, and a good one they say. But it's a standard kerf chain, so it takes a fairly large bite in the wood. That's one pro and one con...

* The 95VP is a .325 Narrow Kerf semi chisel chain, it takes a smaller bite of the wood, thus creating less resistance, and this helps the saw maintain high revvs. But it's not a chisel chain. That's one pro and one con...

* A 3/8 chisel chain, say the Oregon 72LGX, cuts larger chunks of wood, and is a chisel, but as it takes even bigger bites of wood than the 20LP it might be a bit too much. On the other hand it has less cutters in the wood than a .325 chain, that means less resistance. But which is best? That's where you have to consider the other variables as well...

All advices you get here are simplifications, with different variables given different weights depending on the personal experience and preference of the person giving advice, and this is just mine:

If you need a 20" bar, you should really stay with the H30/95VP on a 7-tooth drive sprocket. It's a good chain that will give good performance, and in my opinion you do not have a real choice here. YMMV.

If you want to try the 20LP chain, you should get a shorter bar, and if you do get say as short a bar as 16", ... I have no experience with 3/8 on such a small saw, but to me it does not sound appealing for any other reason than if all my other saws used 3/8, then they could share the same files .........

You got it right about the saws you mention. The 260 is the direct competitor, but only the best choice if you are a die-hard, all Stihl guy, or if your Stihl dealer is far superior to your Husky dealer. :

I totally agree with what I quoted above......:clap: :clap:

Last edited:
So there's no Narrow Kerf .325 chisel chain for me?

Ok, so I'll happily buy a new 18" (16" is just too short) bar that will accomodate the 20LP chain (if that's the best chain for saw).

I guess that brings up another question.

What is the no holds barred best chain to blow away the non believers? I'll worry about buying a bar that suits the chain once I find the ultimate chain.

Again, is there a link on the forum to performing the muffler mod surgery?

You guys are great!

Frosty

What is the no holds barred best chain to blow away the non believers? I'll worry about buying a bar that suits the chain once I find the ultimate chain.

Frosty
A racing chain by Art Martin would be high on my list for a GTG chain. Just don't expect it to last. To bad Cut4Fun isn't here any more. Kevin was really into that.:cheers::rockn::cheers:

Sorry, I'm not ready to use a Stihl chain just yet. Especially to try to impress Stihl guys with a Husky saw!

How about an Oregon or Husky chain?

Is there anyone selling modded (non catalytic) mufflers?

Frosty

Oregon LGX should be ok but won't hold a edge as long. husky doesn't make chain, hehe. There are plenty of guys out there that mod mufflers but get a non-cat muffler from the dealer or baileys to start with. You can also search for "muffler mods" here to get some ideas.

I believe I was fortunate enough to get a 346XP without the cataytic muffler. Mine has gray fuel and oil caps and does NOT say E tech on the starter housing.

I undersatnd one is basically "opening up" their muffler to make it flow better but the technique used to do so properly is what I am in search of at the moment.

I know I'm better off with my stock muffler than a green capped 346XP but there's more power left on the table to be harvested; so deal me in!

Frosty

PS: Is it in my best interests to stick with a NK chain (even though they don't cut as aggressively) because they use less power while cutting? Isn't there a NK chisel chain that will be the best of both worlds for me?

I believe I was fortunate enough to get a 346XP without the cataytic muffler.

PS: Is it in my best interests to stick with a NK chain (even though they don't cut as aggressively) because they use less power while cutting? Isn't there a NK chisel chain that will be the best of both worlds for me?

Frosty, your muffler will say 7E CAT or something similar near the part # if its cat equipt.

I am not a chain expert by any means but my 345 came with H30 chain on it. I have no idea if its narrow kerf or not but it is .050 .325 FWTIW.

Oh btw glad to read you settled on a proper bar length for that sized saw. I gather you cut softwoods so I am going to guess about any chain will work? I cut in sand and cant avoid it, my chains no matter what type dull pretty fast.

Kansas

Ok, I can't take it anymore. I had to buy something to try! So I called Baileys and asked them what to do.

They told me I should buy a Windsor SVST20 bar with the SJ50 mount. I didn't yet but I did buy some of the chain he recommended.

I ordered one 78 link Oregon 20 LPX chain

I also ordered three carlton 20RC 78 link chains (they are on back order).

So now I will have the 95VP (H-30) and the others to "test run". I had better get out and break in the saw!

Frosty

I can't speak on the chains but I believe you will like the 20" for firewood. It may not be as fast with the full 20" buried but will get the job done. Longer bars on small saws are common for limbing, reach. You should be able to limb a tree up quick.

btw, what size bar do the 78 DL chains run on?

Last edited:
The 78 link chains (in .325" pitch) are what fit a 20" bar. The gentleman I spoke to at Bailey's did say something about 80 pitch chains (perhaps to allow for more bar adjustment) but to the best of my knowledge I have 78 link chains coming for my 20" bar.

I had never heard of Carlton chains before but for the price they wanted how can a guy go wrong?

How is the Windsor bar he recommended? It sounded like a solid bar; a step up from the laminated bar I have now.

Frosty

The bar and chains should be fine, baileys backs their stuff well I believe. I didn't notice you went with .325, that threw me off on the DL count. Mount the b&c and cut away. Even if the chains suck, they will help you learn to file. Make sure you use a .325 file.......

I'm still looking for ideas. If you happen to have any other chains you think I should give a whirl, please let me know.

Now about that muffler mod.......................

Frosty

Latest posts

Back