My new old saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never loaded a pic to any forum ever. I have no idea what I am doing. Maybe it worked...

This just arrived at my post office today. Sadly I am not at home to see the saw. My good wifey picked it up and took pics for me. It looks pretty good in the pics. I see a problem with one muffler bolt..or is it a stud? I think it is a broken stud? Hopefully a reasonably easy repair.

It appears to be a pretty clean saw! I hope it runs as good as it looks.

I think it is a 1990 model??

Thanks! I hope so. I won't be able to try it out until I get home in a week.

I think the serial # is legible in one pic.?

Does anybody know what year this is?

Ha, OK this is 2018. What year is the saw?

I am pretty pumped about it, actually. I have a friend who has two of them. That's all his saws. He needs no others, apparently. I haven't run either of them.

If it handles and runs anything like my Jonsered 590's I will be pleased.

First number is a 0 so that means 1990. If its original that should have the slightly bigger carb and kolbenschmit cylinder. Shiuld be a real good runner as is.

I did "research" after I made the deal and that's what I figured. Thanks for the confirmation. I am pretty sure it's original. That may even be the original bar. I bought it from the second owner who bought it from his neighbor who was in his 70's and had trouble pulling it over. I think it has done a decent amount of work, but not an excessive amount of work. The second owner used it lightly but regularly over the years, he said.

Unfortunately it will have the plastic clutch cover (I don't know, as wifey didn't send me a pic of that side and I will not ask..).

I would not screw with an original factory hotrod. It is best left alone, IMO. I hope the muffler stud is not too problematic...

Yeah not sure whats up with the muffler. I prefer the plastic clutch cover actually. Just be aware of the two little ears on the back end, it should be the type where the ears slide into slots in the case.

I did "research" after I made the deal and that's what I figured. Thanks for the confirmation. I am pretty sure it's original. That may even be the original bar. I bought it from the second owner who bought it from his neighbor who was in his 70's and had trouble pulling it over. I think it has done a decent amount of work, but not an excessive amount of work. The second owner used it lightly but regularly over the years, he said.

Unfortunately it will have the plastic clutch cover (I don't know, as wifey didn't send me a pic of that side and I will not ask..).

I would not screw with an original factory hotrod. It is best left alone, IMO. I hope the muffler stud is not too problematic...
Nice saw. Is cylinder marked KS and is carb marked 87, no decompression, if so you scored the hot rod. Mahle ones with 120 carb are still nice saws, you win either way. The muffler has a broken cylinder mounting bolt, easy fix. Those tabs on muffler plate can crack, if you put a washer over them not so likely to break, takes away form the look.

good info re: muffler

fairly big washers on the plate to cover the area which could crack, I presume?

I will have a look at the thing when I get home to see what I really have. I wont know for sure what shape it is in and what it is until I have a look...

thanks for the help/info guys!

good info re: muffler

fairly big washers on the plate to cover the area which could crack, I presume?

I will have a look at the thing when I get home to see what I really have. I wont know for sure what shape it is in and what it is until I have a look...

thanks for the help/info guys!
Just large enough to cover plate under bolt head. Vibration may cause them to crack, seen several crack at bolt hole from side to side, where bolts attach plate to case. Saw needs a rewind screw from picture, but man is that saw going to clean up nice. Top cover looks great, those tend to burn above muffler, a piece of heat tape with help prevent that. Those are one of my favorite saws, again nice!

There are definitely some big trees in Alberta.

I don’t need felling dawgs on that saw. They just get in the way. I am quite pleased it has a bumper.

If you’re not felling big trees (with thick, rough bark) with long bars, there is no need for dawgs.

Unless you like to force a dull saw thru the wood..

I need to get rid of the ridiculous big(ish) dawgs on my 5105. I already have them off, and traced for cutting down to something reasonable. Or I might find the proper, smaller inside dawg for the saw. Or I might make a bumper. I’m not sure yet.

Back