My new old saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got home, hugged the wife, scratched the dog, kicked the cats, and then went to check out the new old saw!

it looks darn good!

it was just sort-of laying there looking forlorn with an empty tank of gas..

so I put a half tank in it and set the choke and started pulling. Just like my old Jonny's it takes a short, hard pull. I pulled and pulled...well, not too bad, maybe 10 times or 15 or so. Then I pulled another 10 times with the choke off. Hmmmm.

"Well then", I said to my self, "what the heck?" Then my smarter self says "hey dummy, how about turning that little red switch "on". One pull with choke and 2 pulls without and she's purring like a fricken sabre tooth tiger. Braap, braap, braap. Decent!

Unloaded the quad and some other stuff and did a few other little things (like give the dog another scratch or two, and give the cats another few kicks for good measure) and then about 15-20 minutes after the first start I picked it up again, put the little red switch in the right position, gave it a pull and braap, braap.

Cool!

I wont have time to use it for a bit...unless it is looking forlorn again, just laying there...

so I ran the 262xp the other day limbing and bucking some 16-18" blowdown. It runs good and handles nice limbing too. It seems to have 60cc power to me, but it wasn't a big surprise or anything compared to my Stihl MS362. I was pleasantly surprised with its torque. It has some. The chain was not sharp, it's a mess as delivered. I quickly "sharpened" it but it will take a couple of sharpenings and a hit on the rakers to make it dig.

And then I bought this other, old-ish saw. Lets just call it a new used saw. This one is now sitting comfortably at s friend's house 9 hrs away. I'll get it when I get it. One pic shows under the hood. Is that the steel intake clamp I've read is a need on many husky models of this era? And it probably has the dreaded cat muffler, which I will need to address. I think those are the limiter caps still on. And it's running a tad lean as expected (I could hear it over the phone when my buddy ran it for me yesterday).

Anyway, CAD is real. I have another saw. I think I'll really like this new Jonny. If I decide I like the 262xp I'll be looking for another runner so I can always have one of them, kinda like my deal with the two old Jonny 590's I have. I'm not afraid to run the snot out of either one of them. They are the best feeling saws I have. Balance, power, and decent enough antivibe. The Dolmar 420 is close in feel, but not in power. It has the same kind of juicy power, just not as much. The Dolmar 5105 has really nice, smooth power, but is a fat little bugger. It's a Cadillac, not a Ferrari.

anyway again, I hope the pics load cause I haven't a clue what I'm doing on that.IMG_1948.jpeg IMG_1963.jpeg IMG_1964.jpeg IMG_1965.jpeg IMG_1966.jpeg IMG_1967.jpeg

I'm all messed up. I have a bunch of saws all about the same size. I will eventually get a big one and a tiny one and thin the herd to the ones I really like. The old Jonny's aren't going anywhere. One of them is my first saw I bought in about 1987 or '88.

Ya, the saw looks good, doesn't it. I hope it is as good mechanically as it is cosmetically

I think you qualify for CAD too! Ive got everything from a Husqvarna 50 to a Stihl 660 and a few 390xps. You need to expand your displacements some! Of all of those, the ones that get used the most are a stihl 460 topping trees after Ive cut them with the 390 and a stihl 461 does the bucking duty on the yard most of the time. The others are just extras and those with sentimental value.

roger on the expanding displacements! So far I'm too cheap to buy a proper biggish saw. And too picky and cheap for a really nice tiny saw.

I don't have big trees. I don't NEED big saws. I NEED little saws. But what does that have to do with anything?

I'm all messed up. I have a bunch of saws all about the same size. I will eventually get a big one and a tiny one and thin the herd to the ones I really like. The old Jonny's aren't going anywhere. One of them is my first saw I bought in about 1987 or '88.

Ya, the saw looks good, doesn't it. I hope it is as good mechanically as it is cosmetically

one i'm sailin.
shippin not too bad w/in canuckistan.
negotiable with or without b/c. interested in trades.

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/tls/d/husqvarna-394xp-chainsaw/6721883982.html

Latest posts

Back