My review of the DR 6 ton splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thombat4

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've had it for a year now and here's my take. For the money it does what it is rated for and then some! I've split logs as big as 27 inches in diameter with no problem. All I need to do is split a chunk off and the rest usually splits apart with ease. I recommend buying the tray attachment and buying or making a table for it to raise it to a comfortable level. Yes it will run into the occasional unsplittable chunk but again for the cost and convenience I think it works extremely well. I split at least 15 cords so far and I'm very pleased with this little guy! If I could afford a gas unit I'd get one but so far this is my splitter. I try not to buy as much wood as possible and rely on my scrounging ability and checking craigslist often. I split a wide variety of wood with no notable problems. Would I buy another DR splitter? In a heartbeat!! This is only my 2nd year splitting and burning wood for heat and thanks to this forum for all the great knowledge and insight. I love coming to this site reading and learning all I can about wood heat and all it entails.

Last edited:
Always good to hear from a happy equipment owner. Thanks for the feedback.:greenchainsaw:

Always wondered how those suckers worked out; thanks for the post.

Did not the cost of it run close to a 20 ton gas? The last time I check it was about $700 or so and if you do not like it you have to pay to ship it back for another $100. Do you have to run on a 20amp plug? I was flipping back and forth between that and a gas. I just hate to wheelbarrow the wood back and forth between the pile and the plug, do not care to have a 50ft or so extension cord. :blob6:

I do run it on a 20 amp plug sometimes but I also have a good sized generator that I run it from frequently when I need to go mobile. Since I already had the generator I went with the DR because of it's size and I just don't need yet another engine in the garage. Even though it's rated at 16 inches diameter you really can split much larger logs as long as you stay with the grain. Some of the diehard gas splitter guys might laugh at it but it honestly is a very nice little guy with more power than I expected! I built my own table for it and plan to add wheels to it sometime soon. You're right about the cost but i don't recall anything about paying to have it returned...

Last edited:
Isnt that some total nonsense? They sure dont mention that you have to pay for the shipping back in all of their commercials!
All of their commercials advertise the "6 month of you arent happy return it" policy.
I have a few friends that have the DR brushmowers, and they seem like quality tools, but pretty spendy!
I guess you gotta pay for good tools though. A good tool is worth the money if it works like is should.

Thombat4, did you consider the mantis splitter? Not much difference between the 2, return policy 6 mo for DR and 1 yr for mantis, mantis price about 1/3 the cost of DR. and it is on a dolly.:blob2: :blob2: :blob4: :blob6: :blob5:

nosplitter,

I did consider the Mantis but after all the research I did I figured I would need that extra ton of splitting power you get with the DR. I'm very satisfied with my choice too. The Mantis looks pretty well made and the dolly feature would be nice to have too. The smaller wheels on the DR make it a little tricky to move around sometimes but overall i don't have any problems with that either. I made my own table out of some scrap 2x4's...couldn't see spending so much for the one offered by DR.
I'd be interested to know what you end up with...all the best to you!

Thombat4, did you consider the mantis splitter? Not much difference between the 2, return policy 6 mo for DR and 1 yr for mantis, mantis price about 1/3 the cost of DR. and it is on a dolly.:blob2: :blob2: :blob4: :blob6: :blob5:

Mantis - NO PARTS available, Made in China = Disposable splitter

that is what I was told when they tried to get me to sell them Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I said no thanks, and while you at it I no longer will stock your tillers as well thank you.

Scott

Last edited:
Well here is the deal with DR, as of this post, $636 for a 6 ton, you pay for s/h both ways at $199 (door to door) + tax so far that is $1096, a 6 mo return policy. Mantis same splitter on a dolly only 5 ton $399 free s/h out to your door, 1 yr return policy you pay $99 back. Which one would you choose?:confused: :dizzy: :bang: :dunno: Well if no parts are available you can exchange or refund it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back