My saw box is really a sled

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluCllrSchlr

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
The more I read here, the more I learn & figure it'll help me work safer. I thought I'de pass along something I cobbled together and y'all can laugh @ it or like it.

I made this when I was cutting a bunch of wood that I couldn't park near or get with a wheel barrow. I saw something like it commercially and thought it made sense.

I got the box from Low/Depot and got a piece of 1/2" EMT conduit. I played around bending a scrap till I could get the radius pretty close and then put 2 bends in the conduit and attached it w/ 3/16" pop-rivits. Attaching the rope was straight forward enough.

I'm pretty happy w/ it. It carries gas, bar oil, maul, wedges, cant hook, hookeroon, water and maybe a saw. Slides pretty good through the woods. I've used it to pull firewood and it can get heavy quick, but it's still better than carrying it by hand all the way.

'Preciate your feedback. Work safe.

I got an X-Cargo car roof box at a yard sale for $3.00
Once there's a bit of snow on the ground I use it the same as yours.
It pulls almost effortlessly once you get it moving. I hauled 3+ cord of firewood rounds to my house last winter in it. I don't think I'd want to pull it uphill though. Luckily it's flat, or slightly downhill, to my house.
That X-Cargo, or any of those roof boxes, make good ice fishing sleds too.

That's a great idea. I moved my firewood around with a wheelbarrow for many years. Early this summer I bought a garden cart with a big plastic box on it like yours. It carries at least twice the wood and pulls easy. My garden cart is rated at 800 pounds, so I don't have to worry about putting too much wood on it.

Jon

Nice work, got to do what you have to, to get the job done. I am not a fan of wheel barrows, always dumpin out my loads.

Back