My Splitter Build (heavy on photos)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a good day yesterday and we dropped a standing almost dead red oak that was about 60' tall. I towed the splitter to the tree and parked it right next to the rounds. Sure made life easier on me. In 3 hrs me and Ricky had bucked, split and brought home all the wood. The only thing left was the sawdust. I love my spitter!

Here is how I mounted the work tables with hitch pins so it is easy to remove.

splitter-26.jpg

Hooked up and heading to Ricky's house.
splitter-27.jpg

All set up leveled and ready to split. We used my backhoe to make sure the tree fell the way we wanted. It looked a bit heavy on the shop side of the tree and we didn't want it to fall on the shop.
splitter-28.jpg

All done and ready to head home.
splitter-29.jpg

Love your log splitter build. Great machine work!

Only thing it's missing is a log lift! Must have for me!

I started on my splitter build the other day. I had an old 4x8 trailer. I took the floor off of it and now have a bare frame to work with. Yanked the 12" puny tires and axle off and put in a rear axle from a chrysler mini van. Now has 14" tires.

I am planning on a log lift. I have 2 chief cylinders that are around 2.5" bore and 16"-18" stroke. I will use one of them for the lift. Maybe use the other for lifting my beam into place. How are you raising and lowering your beam? I didn't see any cylinders???

Found a new Prince 3 spool valve on Craigslist with one spool having a dentent and the other 2 are spring to center. Gave $150 for it!!! I was happy. Now I need to find a ram. I'm going for speed with this splitter. My other one had a 4 1/2" bore. I think I will go with a 4" bore and 2" shaft. I have a 16gpm speeco pump and a 14.5hp generac engine that is electric start.

I'm using the ram to raise and lower the beam. I have a pulley that clips on the reaction plate and a chain that runs from the wedge to the frame. I've yet to finish it and try it.

OH. I was wondering as I didn't see anything in the pics yet.

So can you raise that heavy boy up by yourself? Or use the loader bucket? Looks heavy as all get out..

Local steel guy found me an H beam drop. 10" x 33lb. I was wanting 8" x 30lb. Guess this will have to do. Should be plenty strong for a 20-22ton press.

Thats a good looking splitter! As someone who has build a lot of stuff I can appreciate the amount of time you probably have in this unit. I currently have about 2 months of work into a nice splitter build myself.

Yea, I was stoked when the beam slowly and effortlessly lifted up about a foot. Then I had to stop because of things in the way and lowered it down nice and easy. I'll get a photo here in a bit.

JT

It just blows your mind how much time it takes to build something out of a pile of nothing. You think to yourself, well I'll just abc. Before you know it, it's efg on down the line to xyz, and you thought you could do it pdq.

Well after a few back fires while starting and my hand and elbow hurting like the dickens I dropped the coin for a starter motor. Building the battery box that will have the on/off switch, start button, solenoid, and battery.
battery-box-01.jpg

battery-box-02.jpg

JT

Back