My Splitter Build (heavy on photos)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jthornton

jthornton

ArboristSite Guru
I had a good day yesterday and we dropped a standing almost dead red oak that was about 60' tall. I towed the splitter to the tree and parked it right next to the rounds. Sure made life easier on me. In 3 hrs me and Ricky had bucked, split and brought home all the wood. The only thing left was the sawdust. I love my spitter!

Here is how I mounted the work tables with hitch pins so it is easy to remove.

splitter-26.jpg

Hooked up and heading to Ricky's house.
splitter-27.jpg

All set up leveled and ready to split. We used my backhoe to make sure the tree fell the way we wanted. It looked a bit heavy on the shop side of the tree and we didn't want it to fall on the shop.
splitter-28.jpg

All done and ready to head home.
splitter-29.jpg

iowa

Addicted to ArboristSite
I started on my splitter build the other day. I had an old 4x8 trailer. I took the floor off of it and now have a bare frame to work with. Yanked the 12" puny tires and axle off and put in a rear axle from a chrysler mini van. Now has 14" tires.

I am planning on a log lift. I have 2 chief cylinders that are around 2.5" bore and 16"-18" stroke. I will use one of them for the lift. Maybe use the other for lifting my beam into place. How are you raising and lowering your beam? I didn't see any cylinders???

Found a new Prince 3 spool valve on Craigslist with one spool having a dentent and the other 2 are spring to center. Gave $150 for it!!! I was happy. Now I need to find a ram. I'm going for speed with this splitter. My other one had a 4 1/2" bore. I think I will go with a 4" bore and 2" shaft. I have a 16gpm speeco pump and a 14.5hp generac engine that is electric start.

blgskoon

blgskoon

Thats a good looking splitter! As someone who has build a lot of stuff I can appreciate the amount of time you probably have in this unit. I currently have about 2 months of work into a nice splitter build myself.

jthornton

jthornton

ArboristSite Guru
Yea, I was stoked when the beam slowly and effortlessly lifted up about a foot. Then I had to stop because of things in the way and lowered it down nice and easy. I'll get a photo here in a bit.

JT