My Splitter Build (heavy on photos)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The more I look at your splitter the more the table idea grows in my mind. I was going to use log tongs but the design of your log lift looks better and better to me. Thanks for the photos again.

JT

I didn't consider the direction the splits might be sliding... as I see it in my mind they will slide left and right ie to from the wedge as I re-split.

I try and use what I have on the shelf and I don't have much round tubing mostly square. The 1 1/2" spacing is that edge to edge or center to center on your 3/4" black pipe? Hmm, I have some 1 1/2" square stainless tubing that would work well. I'm thinking I'll run the tables out over the tires for maximum work area.

I see that Home Depot has Rectorseal 1.75 oz. #5 Pipe Thread Sealant

Looks like several Loctite products fit the bill 545, 569 when searching the Loctite site with this as the top hit.
Loctite 569 Thread Sealant, Hydraulic Sealant

And that is why I ask here on this site when I'm unsure.

Thanks
JT
567 has a higher temp rating, they both have the same pressure rating though (10,000 psi) i use 567 for most everything including hydraulic fittings...

567 has a higher temp rating, they both have the same pressure rating though (10,000 psi) i use 567 for most everything including hydraulic fittings...
i just looked through my loctite book, and looked up the 545 since ive never used it, looks to be a thread locker and sealant, and recommends a primer, then theres a cureing period...

JT the photos are ones I found while researching log splitters. If I were to make one similar to yours, the cable lift would appeal to me as well.

My splitter is the one in my avatar & it has a hydraulic log lift.

JT the photos are ones I found while researching log splitters. If I were to make one similar to yours, the cable lift would appeal to me as well.

My splitter is the one in my avatar & it has a hydraulic log lift.

You don't have a close up of how the cylinder is pinned in the operating position do you? It looks to me that the cylinder shaft pushes the cylinder body up and then it's pinned.

Got a bit more done on the splitter project... been suffering from working interrupts me from playing.

valve09.jpg

Almost got all the leaks stopped in the hydraulic tank... bet I do a better job of prepping the metal before I weld the lid on that sucker.

JT

Nice work! I have plans in the near future to build a super splitter. Splitting is a pain for me. I love cutting wood and burning wood but splitters are slow and way to time consuming. I'm going to need a big engine with a pump that will match the engines HP for high flow. Fast cycle time takes high flow. High flow and high pressure take HP. A 3 cylinder diesel would be great if I could find one cheap.

I made some progress on the hydraulic tank... this is the dispersion tube. I made it from 1 1/2" angle so I could deburr the holes on both sides easy.

hydraulic-tank-04.jpg

Here is the baffles...
hydraulic-tank-05.jpg

Now to clean out the tank and put the lid on...

JT

I never believed in luck and I don't have much skill so I wing it. The one thing I learned about building tanks is I hate building tanks! Well I did learn two things... prep the metal to remove mill scale before welding.

Down to my last pin hole...

JT

LOL, I welded with a TIG except for one part I welded with my MIG. All the ugly is from patching pin holes from not prepping the metal.

JT

Back