My Splitter Build (heavy on photos)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just an update on this, I put 5 gallons of AW 46 in the hydraulic tank, oil and gas in the Briggs and 2 pulls later it is idling nicely. I moved the ram up and down a few times but I had the A and B ports on the valve backwards. Got that fixed now just waiting for the Rectorseal to cure before a splitting test.

JT

Wish I could, I'm heading for Puerto Rico in the morning to scatter the ashes of my mother in law into the sea at her birth place. I know the Rectorseal will be hardend by then. I'm just so glad to make it move under power you just can't imagine.

JT

Good job Jt. That has to make you feel good after the hours invested to build. Congrats!!!!

Thanks guys, I can't wait to get back and try it out. I've been having some thoughts on the work tables and making them a 1/2" below the reaction plate so they won't seem any pressure as the round splits... any thoughts?

JT

Whether the work tables see pressure will be determined by the diameter of the wood. As the blocks are split the force is transmited to the outside edges of the wood opposite the wedge.The wider the wedge and the wood the greater the effect.

First split... bogged down a tad on the knot part but other than that I'm happy with it.

First-Split-01.jpg

JT

I would say what works for me but Nathan and me have already had "discussions" on the subject. I'll just stay out of this welding discussion.

Yea, I could not get it to fully upload last night for some reason. Here is another one that I could not split with any hand tools at all. She plowed right through.

First-Split-02s.jpg

JT

Thanks, I see you used an axle like mine possibly from a Dodge K car? While the tank does not have a lid it is easy to put a baffle in... I like your log lift. I plan on having a lift to pick up big rounds using log tongs hanging on a chain.

JT
nice job! yes I used a k car axle,did not cut it,with the length I don't have to worry about it turning over when I lift a heavy log.here's a good web site on welding I found some time ago,hope you enjoy it!http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/tig-welding-tips.html

Back