My woodpile is growling at me..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last year I had raccoons terrorizing my garbage can and compost pail. We would place the compost from the day on the back steps and bury it in the garden pile the next day, but every night they would tip the pail over and eat. I replaced the plastic pail with a 10-gallon galvanized can - didn't help. I then placed a 20-pound stone on top of the galvanized can, but that became too much effort for the family members to deal with.

So I traded in my Taurus 9mm for a nice little S&W .22 and a box of CCI hollowpoints. Took two of them out at about 20 feet, running away from the tipped-over bucket.

Then they got into the garbage. I had a regular plastic can, tight-sealed lid, they would pry it off and rip open the bags. They had a schedule. Right about 10 pm they would visit and raid. I waited in my basement office, goofing off on the computer, heard noise outside. Now the cans are about 30 feet from my basement door. I look outside and there's 5 of them - one on each of three cans (trash and recycling), one on my hose reel, and one approaching the basement door and about 3 feet away. They are not scared when the motion sensor light comes on. I literally opened the door, reached down and put a .22 bullet in the closest one's head at a range of about 4 inches. Then took out two more before they had figured out what happened. It was like one of those westerns - pop the first one and take out his buddies a few seconds later.

Somehow I don't feel like they deserved my time or effort in being buried, so they all went in big trash bags and visited the packer truck at the transfer station the next day.

That was the last time I saw any of them last year, but I have a new one who is eating the trash again. Big 'un too, judging by the size of his paw prints - I'll have to stalk another one.

This post reminded me of the time last trapping season that I tried to sneak up on a Muskrat. I was just about to the shop, and seen this furry little guy trotting down the side of the road. He was a ways from water, so perhaps lost or just on a bit of a walk about. I drive past, and he never even looks up. Stop the truck, grab may handy axe handle and start sneaking up behind him. I raise my foot to step on his tail long enough to wack him, and he spins around. This got my attention. Then he jumps at me. This really got my attention, and I put my arse in high speed reverse. He follows. The evil lil :censored: chased me back to the truck before turning around and heading back down the road. Fierce thing he was. :cheers:

Your story cracked me up, I can see it in my head now.:biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2:
The misses poped her head around the corner to see what was so funny

Hey Guns, you get your critter yet?

Somehow I have a sneaking suspicion you live trapped the critter and hauled him over here. I was semi suprised tonight to see a brown ball of fur near the wood piles. I of course went for the twenty-two, but by the time I got it out, found the clip, fed it and got back there, the critter was gone.

Some up close inspection revealed this at the end of one stack:

attachment.php

Of course you all realize this means war! That woodchuck is gonna get served with a 40 grain eviction notice, compliments of my little target gun, Remington 597 heavy barrel w/Simmons 6-18x scope. It is now on duty by the door (fear not, there are no young untrained hands wandering my house):

attachment.php

Found this funny cartoon while searching for confirmation that what I saw was indeed a woodchuck:

woodchuckcartoon.gif

This thread started out really good, but has leapfrogged into legendary status. :cheers:

I HATE spewing really expensive beer on my keyboard. Waste of beer, compromises the life of the keyboard. Apple says the keyboard is waterproof, but I have my doubts it'll stand up to a lot of Guinness Stout.

You guys kill me. :clap: :clap:

I worked the pile some more over the weekend, but didn't hear antyhing. In the past I could tap the pile with a stick of wood and get a reply. It was a pretty cool thing to show my little girl. I'll be on it again this morning before work. He may well have wised up and chose another pile to live in. I do have a few to pick from.. :)

I just relocated a woodchuck last weekend. Took about an hour for him to wander into the have-a-hart trap using fresh lettuce. The guy who loaned me the trap told me to relocate him a good distance from my home as they will make their way back sooner or later. He said "put a lake" in between my house and his new home.
He also gave me some woodchuck paste used for baiting them into the trap but I didn't't need it. Smells like flowers. Good luck.

I just relocated a woodchuck last weekend. Took about an hour for him to wander into the have-a-hart trap using fresh lettuce. The guy who loaned me the trap told me to relocate him a good distance from my home as they will make their way back sooner or later. He said "put a lake" in between my house and his new home.
He also gave me some woodchuck paste used for baiting them into the trap but I didn't't need it. Smells like flowers. Good luck.

Are you sure he said to put a lake between him and your house or to put him in the lake and go back to your house:laugh:

Last year I had raccoons terrorizing my garbage can and compost pail. We would place the compost from the day on the back steps and bury it in the garden pile the next day, but every night they would tip the pail over and eat. I replaced the plastic pail with a 10-gallon galvanized can - didn't help. I then placed a 20-pound stone on top of the galvanized can, but that became too much effort for the family members to deal with.

Cayenne pepper works. Buy it cheap, in bulk.

Or build a small "trash house" that keeps them out. Put your trash bags/cans in there between trash days.

We have to haul our own to a collection point (no trash collection service out here), and if we didn't have the trash house, we'd go through gallons of cayenne!

I may have solved the mystery. These guys showed up yesterday, and again today. Never had em around here before. Could very well have had Mama's den in the wod pile, and now they are big enough to get around on their own. I'll let them be unless I notice them wrecking stuff, then....see avatar. :)

coon1.jpg

coon5.jpg

coon4.jpg

coon3.jpg

coon2.jpg

coon7.jpg

If it is the mother of all misquitoes I'll chip in on a bounty. I'm feeling peeked from either an extended over dose of insect repellent or my body simply can not produce enough blood to keep up. They are almost big enough to quarter on the bandsaw and sell for meat...

If it is the mother of all misquitoes I'll chip in on a bounty. I'm feeling peeked from either an extended over dose of insect repellent or my body simply can not produce enough blood to keep up. They are almost big enough to quarter on the bandsaw and sell for meat...

LOL!!!
It's the same down here in Covert. 12ga #4's and a tight choke will bring 'em down, but ya still gotta wring thier necks most times.

If it wasn't for spraying the Blueberries to keep the numbers down, there would be dead critters and people everywhere.

I feel sorry for the critters that have to deal with the skeeters 24-7 this year.
Just no geting away from 'em.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Fur, Fish and Game magazine was reporting recently that raccoon hides should be worth about $20-30 each this fall. Fatten them critters up! :)

Fur, Fish and Game magazine was reporting recently that raccoon hides should be worth about $20-30 each this fall. Fatten them critters up! :)

Really? man the little guys are cute. Big coons are cool critters and smart it would have to be rabid for me to kill it.

Last year I had raccoons terrorizing my garbage can and compost pail.

Second season I worked for the state parks in college, we put in a dumpster. (Before we picked up garbage bags by each campsite each day and hauled our own garbage away...but there was an incident of us disposing of hot ashes at the town dump...)

Quickly became the first job for the morning shift to setup two 2x6s as ramps, one inside and one outside the dumpster, so the coons that jumped in the dumpster overnight could climb out.

Back