Need a new saw- suggestions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rzacc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Greetings all. Newbie here from Colorado. I would like to ask your enlightened opinions before I buy a new - or used- saw.
I have a 272xp Husky now, which I love, and am in need of a backup. Could anyone tell me what the difference is between the 300 series saws and the 200 series? Am I correct in assuming that the 373 has replaced the 272? Does anyone know anything about the 388xp?
I had an older Pioneer Farmsaw for a long time and loved it, for a lightweight, and would consider that also- any thoughts?? How do the Husky's compare with Stihl?
I cut just for myself, and noting huge, but I like a saw with good power. I guess what I really need is something at least as strong as my 272, and a lighter limber as well. So, now I've talked myself into buying two!

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Ron Z

2 is better than 1 :)

The 372xpg is a very nice saw, one of the best out there according to many of the members on this site ,,,
I got one myself and like it very much !
I also got a 346xpg for limbing which is also a fine saw :)
go to a dealer and feel on them both
I think if you want Stihls its the 026/260 or 044/440 you want to check out, or maybe a 046/460, they are also great saws !
As long as you go with Pro line of both brands I don't think you can go wrong with either of the two brands !!
If you like the 272 I think you will like 372 ,,,,

/Kristoffer

Thanks

Thanks. Do you know if the 372 is an upgraded 272, or what the difference might be?
Im not really looking at Stihls becaue Idon't know anything about them..would you advise?
RonZ

well I'm perfectly happy with my two saws the 346 is muffler modded and the 327 is going to be as soon as get the new muffler home ,,
since I own huskys my advice can only be of any worth with that brand.
The airinjection is a nice feature and the antiwibe is excellent on both saws, the 346 is very peaky and a thing take in concern before you buy one, a 353 might be better for you if like a saw thats a little more forgiving to use ,,
I have never used a 272 so I cant compare it with a 372, but the 372 blast through pretty much anything you put it against ,,
I run my 346xpg with 13" and 15" bars and .325 0.58 chain
The 372xpg goes with 16" - 24" bars and 73lp chain
I always use the shortest bar possible on both saws cause I think its so boring to file the chain ,,,

/Kristoffer

I have ran my 272xp's side by side with my 372xp's and the 372xp has a fair bit more grunt & speed. My 372's w/ 20" guide bar can run a 8-pin rim spockets with no problem. My 272's w/20" guode bar seem to like a 7-pin rim sprockets the best. Both the 272xp and 372xp are very powerful saws. The 372xp is a newer, totally redesigned 4.3 cube, 71cc saw. The 372xp was primarily designed from the ground up incorporating many improved features, and meeting EPA requirements. The 272xp has little in common with the 372xp. If your looking for something lighter, but still powerful, take a look at a Husky 357xp. The 357xp is a great saw, or the new 362 that's coming out.

-Nick

272 verses the 372

Nick- Thanks much for reply. That's the kind of information that helps. Is the 372 that much more of a saw? Also, the 357 is quite a bit smaller, right? Are you familiar with the old Pioneer farm saws?
Thanks much for sharing your wisdom.

Ron Z
Colorado

The 372xp does feel like a bit more of a saw (powerwise) than the older 272xp. The weight of both the 372 and 272 is right around 14lbs or so. Both are fairly lightweight, but I wouldn't want to limb with one all day long.

The 357xp is right around 57cc's, 4.6 hp, 3.8 cu. in. The 357xp operates at 14,000 rpm. It's fairly light at about 11 or 12lbs. This saw is noted for lightning fast accelleration, lightweight, and slim body shape. I believe the saw can run up to a 20" or 24" bar.

I am not familiar with the Pioneer saws. I can't really help you there.

-Nick

or the new 362 that's coming out.

-Nick[/QUOTE]

Is there a new 362 (husky?) on the way ??

/Kristoffer

362xp

362XPNew!
Husqvarna 362XP is a true professional saw with high power and low weight. It was developed in cooperation with professional users for optimum performance. Its slim engine body with a high center of gravity and superior ergonomics make it exceptionally easy to work with. The XPG model has both heated handles and carburetor. Now with big bar mount!!

Air Injection
Air Injection. Centrifugal air cleaning system for longer intervals between filter cleanings, smoother operation and reduced wear.

The two mass principle
Vibration dampening system with the handles isolated from the engine with rubber mounts or steel springs.

Easy to work with
The slim body, high center of gravity and flat underside make our saws easy to work with.

Three-piece crankshaft
Forged three-piece crankshaft for maximum durability for the toughest applications.

Easy chain lubrication
Adjustable oil pump makes it easy to set the chain lubrication according to your needs.

Better grip
Angled front handle for better grip and natural working position.
Download manuals
Download Operator Manuals, Illustrated Part Lists and other product data.

Compare
Specifications
Engine
Cylinder displacement 3.81 cu.inch / 62.4 cm³
Power 4.6 hp / 3.4 kW
Maximum recommended engine speed 13 500 mm
Fuel tank volume 1.62 US pint / 0.77l
Oil tank volume 0.84 US pint / 0.40l
Oil pump type adjustable flow
Cutting equipment
Chain pitch .325 / 3/8"
Recommended bar length 13-24" / 33-60 cm
Ergonomics
Sound level 103 dB(A)
Noise emissions, LWA 110 dB(A)
Vibrations, front/rear handle 3.5 m/s² / 4.7 m/s²
Overall dimensions
Weight excl. cutting equipment 13.0 lbs / 6.0 kg

SWE#Kipp said:
or the new 362 that's coming out.

-Nick

/Kristoffer[/QUOTE]

New? Like 4 years ago new.... Maybe it is just hitting you guys, but here it has been made and i believe discontinued for lack of sales. It was too pricey compared to the 372, and most chose the larger saw for the same weight.

-Steve

How about a vote for the Dolmar PS-5100S

I haven't got mine yet, but everyone else seems to love it!

Ron, as for the 6400/6401 - why not go for the 7900/7901 as the weight is the same and the power is significantly more? Not knocking your baby, but power-to-weight the 7900/7901 makes more cent$

314epw said:
362XPNew!

Who has the best price on these now? Seems like anything less that $500 with a bar would be a great deal! $569 now on eBay!

Are you familiar with the old Pioneer farm saws?

My two cents on the Farmsaws.

While, I have enjoyed the old Pioneers, before the plastic, I was not impressed with the construction of the Farmsaws I have dealt with. The starter/decomp. setup seemed to fail easily. These saws were bought by me used and looked to be in excellent shape but did not hold up. I traded them off as I was not impressed. They also proved almost impossible to get parts for without going thru the mail.

The P- series seemed to hold up much better, lots of similarities but a better saw. The P-50( I think) is the one I enjoy the most. I am able to buy parts saws for the P- series.

As to your Husky questions, do not know about new ones so I recommend buying alot of older ones.:biggrinbounce2: Just not the Husky 35.

Just an opinion, hope it helps.

Freakingstang said:

/Kristoffer

New? Like 4 years ago new....
-Steve[/QUOTE]

I knew that, I was thinking more in terms of an upgrade ,,, but after reading on the US Husqvarna site the only thing i could see was a Big bar mount ,,,,,,,

/Kristoffer

Four Paws said:
How about a vote for the Dolmar PS-5100S

I haven't got mine yet, but everyone else seems to love it!

Ron, as for the 6400/6401 - why not go for the 7900/7901 as the weight is the same and the power is significantly more? Not knocking your baby, but power-to-weight the 7900/7901 makes more cent$

Love my 5100. Has the power most 55-60 cc saws have. Would buy another one if I needed it.

Good advice on the 7900. The 6401 is ok if you pick up one used, but for a 64cc saw is is over weight. The 7900 is a smoking saw in a nice package and carries the same weight as a 372xp. There is nothing wrong with the 6400/6401, it is just the 7900 is so much better in the same package.

OH, and sorry about speaking up on the 362xp. I didn't realize Husky was bringing it back, with a big bar mount....

-Steve

Latest posts

Back