Need advice for snaged leaning tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Olddirty

Do you think that the only way to impart your knowledge is to be 'right there'?

. That said, its kinda dumb to try and walk a novice through things above their heads,

and hope that other more knowledgable people won't be stingy woth what they have learned.

of course nothing beats 'hand-on' in yer face teaching,
:cheers:

Serge (ducking already :D )

well serge first and foremost. its oldirty.

second i kept in your quote the parts that stood out to me.

and thirdly i hope you can understand that i wasnt trying to cheap. think of it like calling the plumber. is he coming over to your house for nothing?

oldirty

I wouldnt try to cut on it anymore.....too dangerous I would get 50 foot of tow rope (the good strap kind) hook it up to your truck and yank the bottom out from under it in a safe direction.....twords where your vehicle is sittin in the picture.....

Last edited:
You got it down without injury, so good for you. I dont think this was a bad question to ask but you have to understand that you got lucky with this flop. Check out some literature on how to fell trees. It comes with your saw. You know that book we all throw in the trash? Proper technique is good for two things; YOU LIFE and getting the tree to fall where you want.

Dont get frustrated with people giving you a hard time, they mean well, in terms of your safety. Just dont go doing this type of thing again.

The best idea would be to ask a question before you got to the point you were at in the first place. Ask first, then start sawing away.

Good luck to you and make sure you have some safety gear. Keep your eyes, ears, and skull protected at a minimum.

:greenchainsaw:

Welcome to AS. Asking for advice here is kind of like standing in a large group of people, all unknown to you, and getting stuff thrown at you from all directions.
You'll get a lot of good advice, some -not-so-good advice, and a few jerks who'd rather give you a bad time than any advice at all. I'm sure that by now you've figured out which is which and proceded accordingly.
You had a problem and you asked good questions about it. You listened to the advice given and took the aquired knowledge to the task at hand.
I'll ad my two cents worth. In any kind of tree work, do the safest thing. Mistakes happen...it's no big deal. Just don't let a mistake become a disaster...they can hurt you.
:cheers: Bob

Excellent!! Another point is that the people complaining are forgetting that _they_ were not born all knowing. They had to start from scratch too and I'll bet not one of them hired pros to do simple take downs...This one only went sideways after it started to fall and really was not all that dangerous even then. Best advice I saw was the ones to pull it off the stump. I don't know if I would have walked in and modified the hinge but I may have if I was certain it was solidly loged as it appeared to be.

Harry K

Good luck to you and make sure you have some safety gear. Keep your eyes, ears, and skull protected at a minimum.

:greenchainsaw:

I do, I have a Peltor (SP?) helmet w/ muff's & face shield, Also some labonville saw chaps, all hot to wear but seeing the various saw injuries pictures I wear them every time, I think I heard some here say "I would rather sweat than bleed" just have to up the water intake.

........... i hope you can understand that i wasnt trying to cheap. think of it like calling the plumber. is he coming over to your house for nothing?

It's not quite like calling the plumber, more like asking a plumbing question on a plumbing forum.

As for not wanting to give information away, (for that is the impression given), what's the problem? I know comparatively little about tree felling, (though I have done training courses) so I might ask a question here. I know a bit about oil burners, as that's how I earn a living having done decades in another branch of engineering. One site I post on I gave up after over 6000 posts, and you could take off 1000 for general discussion trivia posting, but it still amounts to years of several hours an evening giving a hand to those who ask questions.

Has it cost me anything? I expect so, but who cares? Well I don't, I'm more interested in getting a Logosol mill up and running, then I can ask loads of questions here :clap: :chainsawguy:

Last edited:
...weakened the hinge with an ax...

just for future reference: if you think there is too much holding wood (the hinge wood) slowly and carefully cut the back cut father towards the undercut being very careful not to cut through the holding wood. cutting off the sides of the holding wood will reduce the directional control (which is the reason for having the hinge of holding wood). make sure you leave at least 1/2 inch of holding wood. i would recommend reading a falling manual. i took a quick look around and couldn't find an online one, but i think it would be a good idea to search google for one. just be very aware of whats going on.

to answer another question you had about cutting in a new undercut in a new direction, thats called refalling the tree, and it can be done, but it is to fall a tree that "sat back". i would probably not do it with a hung up tree. i've only done it a few times, more for the reason of trying it out rather than it needed to be done. the rule of thumb is you make your cuts at least as high above your old cuts as the tree is wide (ie if the tree is 12" diameter, make your new set of cuts at least 12" higher than the first cuts). i'll attach an image from the fallers/buckers manual for refalling.

Last edited:
As for not wanting to give information away, (for that is the impression given), what's the problem? I know comparatively little about tree felling, (though I have done training courses) so I might ask a question here. :clap: :chainsawguy:

its not that i was trying to be cheap or say i want money for my opinion. thats not the case at all.

what bothered me was that the situation was taken for granted and the steps taken to remedy that situation. wasnt for awhile that anyone got around to telling him to pull the tree off the stump away from the way it fell.

that advice was already given when i found this thread. so i couldnt give it then.

i guess whats bothering me roy is that everyone thinks they can do it themselves with no worries and that is just not the case.

what my hopes were that i was trying convey to him and others is that you need a clue when you go after this stuff. why not hire out someone to spend a couple hours with you? i mean if your kid stinks at math youre going to get him a tutor right? why not help yourself out by getting some instructions if you are going to go out and fall a hundred or so tree's.

yes i may have come off as a bit of an Ahole but i was thinking safety and the last thing anyone needs is a homeowner pinned underneath a sweetgum because he wasnt making proper cuts or prepared for the worst. because the worst is quick and indiscriminate. the worst sucks. there is a reason why its called the worst.

oldirty

Fair point, and I suppose I had done some of that by doing some courses. All of which contained important points, and particularly relating to saw maintenance, leaning trees' take down etc.

One of the things I bought early on was a winch powered by a suitable saw engine. The winch is a capstan type and I used a Stihl 044 to drive it.

Anyone doing a hundred trees could benefit from a pulling machine other than using their truck IMO, as it allows a safe way to deal with quite a few situations such as the one here and for pulling the trunks to a convenient place, etc. The only link I have found is www.forrex.org/streamline/ISS20/vol6no1.pdf, and the Zollern winch is shown on page 17.

Next of course is a chainsaw mill so you can make use of all that wood other than turning it into firewood, try www.logosol.com.

This is great, there's no limit on how many tools you can spend your money on that you thought you were going to save by doing it yourself. :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
The book has a file carrier suggested as being a piece of copper tube. Bad news as each file should be separated from the others. Two files together means you have two blunt files.

alright so i just happened to see my rep recieved and it looks like oldphart just called me a "phony know it all Ahole" regarding this thread. or maybe he thinks i am phony in general when it comes to what it is i do.

oldphart you mutt i cannot help but wish i lived in minnesota so that i could attach you to my belt and then footlock up to the top of the tallest tree you have out there and and tie you into the top of it. because then from your vantage point, tied into the tree, i will show you the proper cut to get a tree to fall over correctly. the problem with that is it'll be the last time you see a cut like that.

you have no clue. i do know whats what and i do know how to do it. do i know everything? hellz no. do i intend on making myself a better climber everytime out? hellz yes. isnt that the goal? looks like i am going to have to bring the camera out again and put together some threads just for you with what i can do.

think of it as a highlight reel though oldphart because you've probably never seen a stud like this work.

am i arrogant? you know it man. do i think i am good? you know it man.
ive earned the right to believe in myself. but dont you worry homeboy, when the occasion arises that i might not know what i am doing, i ask for help. and thats humility right there. and if i am asking a question then that means i dont know it all now does it?

if i ever need help fitting a pipe onto another pipe, you'll be the first guy i call. how's it go? pipe coupling pipe?

and you know what? knowing that time is money i'd probably throw you a hundred bucks. no one likes wasting time.

oldirty

its not that i was trying to be cheap or say i want money for my opinion. thats not the case at all.

what bothered me was that the situation was taken for granted and the steps taken to remedy that situation. wasnt for awhile that anyone got around to telling him to pull the tree off the stump away from the way it fell.

that advice was already given when i found this thread. so i couldnt give it then.

i guess whats bothering me roy is that everyone thinks they can do it themselves with no worries and that is just not the case.

what my hopes were that i was trying convey to him and others is that you need a clue when you go after this stuff. why not hire out someone to spend a couple hours with you? i mean if your kid stinks at math youre going to get him a tutor right? why not help yourself out by getting some instructions if you are going to go out and fall a hundred or so tree's.

yes i may have come off as a bit of an Ahole but i was thinking safety and the last thing anyone needs is a homeowner pinned underneath a sweetgum because he wasnt making proper cuts or prepared for the worst. because the worst is quick and indiscriminate. the worst sucks. there is a reason why its called the worst.

oldirty

Well said.

hey raventai. hows the work coming along? you getn any better with the technique?

and i am being serious here. just want to know how things are going.

Hey oldirty,

I just stumbled on this thread today and I'm not going to bash you (or anyone for that matter (as some others have)) for your opinions. Just do me a favor, it's my old eyes you see, and maybe my German heritage that makes me pay attention to detail -- PLEASE, please, use caps at the beginning of a sentence.

Thanks,

:cheers: :cheers:

Fair enough bud. Is this a little better? Sometimes in the hurry to say what i want to say the capital letters are tossed to the wayside. I will try to do a better job at it. Thanks!

lol

hey raventai. hows the work coming along? you getn any better with the technique?

and i am being serious here. just want to know how things are going.

I live in another state from where the work is happening but on the last trip when this thread was started I got the house site cleared and also a spot for a shipping container, Besides this one stuck tree all went smoothly,

Going back down this month to have the container placed. might blaze a driveway to a potential shop site for later,

Gavin Thanks much for the link, a good read,

Latest posts

Back