Need axe recommendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NovaMan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all. I've been to the chainsaw forum, but this is my first stop in here. I have a Truper axe (3.5lb or so) and splitting maul (probably 6lb). I'm on my second axe because I broke the handle on the first one, and I broke and repaired the handle on the splitting maul. The axe isn't too bad for just $10, but the splitting maul likes to bounce off green wood, which can be quite frustrating. I get mad and switch to the axe and then beat it through with a 4lb maul. I've been told not to beat on an axe head, but the handles break WAY before the hole in the head even starts thinking of deforming, so that's what I do. Not ideal.

I only burn about a cord of wood in a winter (just for fun in the fireplace), but it sure would be nice to have tools that actually work well and make the job easier instead of being a source of frustration. What should I get? (The wood I burn is fairly hard like oak, hickory, and cherry.)

I got a 2300g(5lbs) helko tomahawk splitting axe last week and really like it so far. Hartville tool has them on sale but they are still pretty pricey. Seems to work better then my 12lbs maul.

Rather than beating on the axe head, I would suggest the purchase of a couple of good splitting wedges and beat on those with either a maul or sledge hammer.

get a decent fiskars splitting axe... WAY better to use and feels alot better than those stupid mauls... never learnt to use them becouse of the stupid straight handle..

blis, that depends upon what your splitting. something easy? or tuffer than nails?

around here seems we never get much easy stuff. that why I now use a 35ton splitter :D

those solid steel triangle head w/steel handle mauls work the best when you got something really tuff!

helko tomahawk, or the fiskar

I've only used the fiskar but except for the fact that I have two of them I'd own the helko as my second . they look like they would work real well.

Plain and simple, " Monster Maul" You can find them at tractor supply,Northern Hydraulics , and many other places. Heavy and won't stick. I've even used a sledge on it before! Good luck! LZ

check out this Keen Kutter Axe I scored off ebay.
now to find the perfect handle...

keen kutter axe.JPG

I'm going to recommend not hitting the axe with the maul any more. The piece of steel in my right thigh sets off metal detectors now..... a result of doing the same thing (sep'n i was using a hammer).

I'm going to recommend not hitting the axe with the maul any more. The piece of steel in my right thigh sets off metal detectors now..... a result of doing the same thing (sep'n i was using a hammer).
Wow, sounds like a nasty accident.
What about getting a 5lb splitting wedge and welding a steel tube handle to it? I should be able to swing that, and then if it doesn't go through, I could beat on it with a maul. Or should I just keep using what I have and get a couple wedges for when things get stuck? Anybody like those wood grenades?

I have the grenade, and it works well. I have not used it for a while though, it has been replaced by 2 or 3 wedges, a maul/ax from HD and a monster maul. I guess it was used more when I was just getting into splitting a lot. I do recomend having one in the arsenal.

I've gone through a couple axes and mauls over the years. I was hung up on the light weight, high-speed school of splitting. Then I converted to the slow-and-heavy school and couldn't be happier!

I picked up a new 8lb Maul by Collins (I think it was them) that uses more of an axe-like handle. I find this much nicer for indexing in my hands and keeping it from twisting or glancing off of things. I also picked up a 14.5lb wedge-on-a-stick from Iron & Oak. I got both of them from my local saw shop for maybe sixty bucks, possibly less. I've been very pleased with this pair and it has busted through everything, including big 20" round, 22" tall knotty hickory rounds.

You can see 'em on the right side of the image.
After_Work_Firewood.jpg

So you guys have no problems splitting green wood? My $10 splitting maul just bounces off, so the only way I can split green wood is plunge the axe in and beat it through (remember, I don't have wedges yet).

So you guys have no problems splitting green wood? My $10 splitting maul just bounces off, so the only way I can split green wood is plunge the axe in and beat it through (remember, I don't have wedges yet).

No problem with green wood, most of the time anyway. Knotty, wet elm or hickory has been a pain, but pretty much anything else splits great. Sometimes you get bouncers on the nasty pieces, but the Iron & Oak wedge-on-a-stick will bust through almost anything after four or five hits in the same spot.

I've tried the technique you describe, pounding axes or mauls through nasty pieces of wood. I've had my fill of it. The stuff I'm using now does a great job on everything that you can reasonably expect to do without the assistance of a saw or a splitter.

Back