Need better replacement for MS290 FB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hockeypuck

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just sold my MS290 FB because I ran out of patience. Need a saw with more power but weighs about the same or less. Does anyone have any suggestions? Uses are dropping and dicing up trees for fire wood and lot clearing.

Puck

You should get a lot of replies for this one. How much do you want to spend? Do you have to stick with Stihl or will you consider buying a different brand? There are a lot of saws out there to choose from. Stihl's MS361, Husky's 357XP & 365XP, Jonsered's CS 2165, Dolmar makes some very good chain saws too!

Preferably 372xp or 2171 (slightly heavier), otherwise 365, 2165, 362xp, 2163, but if you want less weight - the ever popular MS361......:blob2: :blob2:

I was leaning

twords the MS361, and from what I have read this seems to be the best power to weight saw in its class. I am not loyal to one brand, so a Husky could be in the future, I owned a Jonsered before the 290.

What should I expect to pay for a 361 and a 18 inch bar?

Puck

If you are in the US, I believe 580 to 590 USD isn't too far off.....

(cheap compared to here, even though that one is the best buy here, compared to in the US).

Very Good around these parts 569.00 USD
I like the ms361 and also the 357xp.
If you know someone with one try it out first.
IF I had to use one saw it would be the 372xp or the 2171.
bucking fire wood. my 2171 weight the same as the 029 super with bar and chain on both.

NYH1 said:
You should get a lot of replies for this one. How much do you want to spend? Do you have to stick with Stihl or will you consider buying a different brand? There are a lot of saws out there to choose from. Stihl's MS361, Husky's 357XP & 365XP, Jonsered's CS 2165, Dolmar makes some very good chain saws too!
Try the MS 361, over a pound lighter but a higher rpm saw with a better powerband than the 290 as well as being a commercial saw. I have one and a lot of people on here have the 361 as well.

I just bought a 361 this week. I just got the chance to try it out today. Like you I just sold my 290 and replaced it with the 361. Definately get the 361 if you have the funds for it. I finally got to try mine out today. First tree I stuck it in was a 22" red oak, and it ripped thru it like nothing. There is definately a big difference between it and the 290. I could not be happier with it. I got it for 599.00 with a 20" bar. The power to weight is awesome. The saw never even bogged once in that red oak. I had the dealer make up some rm chain for it. The thing I like is it has the power to rip thru the firewood I cut in no time, really saves time on cutting. It is a bada** saw :hmm3grin2orange: I really glad I took everyones opinion on here and bought the 361. I am going to get a 25" bar for it for the bigger stuff I cut on occasion. I was all smiles today playing with it. Now I am just needing to mod the muffler on it :hmm3grin2orange:

Well, I had a 029 once. Then, after some experimenting, bought a MS440 this Fall and I feel like I have died and gone to heaven. Never ran a 361 so I can't comment, but I shur do like this 440!!! :rock:

changing saws

hockeypuck said:
I just sold my MS290 FB because I ran out of patience. Need a saw with more power but weighs about the same or less. Does anyone have any suggestions? Uses are dropping and dicing up trees for fire wood and lot clearing.

Puck
357xp can't go wrong

Another vote for the 361. Mine has quite a few hours on it and has been totally bullet-proof. Its worth the money and if you shop around you might be surprised at the difference in prices between different dealers.

I am cutting mainly chord wood, and soft as well. Size range from 6 inch diameter to 24". Will cut 8 to 20 chord a year depending on the number of side jobs I take for clearing lots. I priced a 044 this week and was bummed out by the 750 price tag, but the 361 seems to be more in my ball park. You guys are great, thanks for the help.

Puck

boboak said:
Its worth the money and if you shop around you might be surprised at the difference in prices between different dealers.
VERY TRUE even with Stihl! I was thinking about getting a 026 Pro w/16" bar a few years ago (didn't really need it at the time though!). Depending on what dealer I went to they wanted between $420 and $490 for the same saw. SHOP AROUND!

hockeypuck said:
Need a saw with more power but weighs about the same or less.

I'll assume that you'd probably want to stick with Stihl, since I'm also assuming you have Stihl dealers nearby or else you wouldn't have purchased the 290 in the first place. You've already made one unsatisfactory choice so you know what you need and want, power-wise, and I trust you now see the value in buying the right saw for the job.

If you're looking for a nice bit more power, the 361 is a VERY nice saw. I don't think you'll find anyone who dislikes this saw, which says something! If you're open to a saw that is roughly the same weight, you can get a 440 and have a heck of a lot more saw than your 290. Be sure to order a dual-port muffler cover on the 440 if you go with that model.

So, which to choose? I'd let your usual bar length be the guide - if you will be running a 16 or 18" most of the time, go with the 361. If you're going to run a 20" or longer bar on a regular basis, you'll appreciate the extra power of the 440.

+1 on the 361 unless you are broke in which case find a good used 036. I ran 029s for years and the 036 is really superior without being any heavier.

Back