Need better replacement for MS290 FB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I should ask if you ever did a muffler mod. 029s really perk up with one.
John.......

361 For Me

Go with the 361 , you will like it, I went from a 032 to a 361 , like nite and day . TedMI
000_0624.jpg

if your only going to run one saw for firewood,stihl 361 with 18" bar is the choice hands down.
I think the ultimate setup for us firewood cutters is a dolmar 5100 and a dolmar 7900 but if you want it all in one saw that 361 is awesome.

whatsnext said:
I guess I should ask if you ever did a muffler mod. 029s really perk up with one.
John.......
Muffler mod for a 029...........details please details? I might be interested in doing this! :)

If you really want the 440 you should go ahead and line up $180 worth of jobs to pay the difference between it and the 361.

The 361 is a fantastic saw, but if you're already used to the weight and have already looked at the 440...how long will $180 bug you? Claim it as part of your Christmas to yourself.

If I actually got paid to use my saws I'd have a 70+cc machine in an instant. Maybe even a 'gulp' 441! Smooth power like the 361 but up a notch for even more production. At least then I could use the 441 till I got tired then switch to the 361...

Chaser

The 440 no doubt is a very good saw, but it is an old design.

In case you care; It does not have the good anti-vibe of the 361 and 441.

You will also have to clean the air filter more often.

Seems like you have decided to by the MS 361 which I also think is a good choice. It will be a big upgrade from you 029. You said you will cut wood up to 24". I would also check the price of a 372 XP. Then you will have a BIG smile on your face the first time you pull the throttle... It's slightly heavier than the MS361, yes, but there is a huge differece between 60cc and 70cc.

/Peter

357xp

i have acquired a new saw lately.must say it runs very well,is light and great for cutting firewood.at 4.4 hp it is rated same as 361 stihl.seen new one sell on ebay for 430 dollars other day.got mine for 179 on ebay its 2005 model in great shape now after 80 dollars at husky dealer.:greenchainsaw:

357xp

ratman36 said:
... at 4.4 hp it is rated same as 361 stihl. ...

Not quite, .1 kW less than the US 361, and .2 kW less than the European (German made) one.....:buttkick:

...not that I think you will notice the difference often though. :greenchainsaw:

peter399 said:
Seems like you have decided to by the MS 361 which I also think is a good choice. It will be a big upgrade from you 029. You said you will cut wood up to 24". I would also check the price of a 372 XP. Then you will have a BIG smile on your face the first time you pull the throttle... It's slightly heavier than the MS361, yes, but there is a huge differece between 60cc and 70cc.

/Peter
I generally agree, but the weight difference is not slight.

According to KWF/DLG test reports, it is .8 kg (5.6 vs 6.4), or close to 2 lbs....

Just got the 361

OMG !!

Just had to try it before the sun went down. Smooth, fast, like a hot knife through butter. :rock:

Good call on the 361. It has the hand brake, so it will take some getting used to.

Puck

hockeypuck said:
OMG !!

Just had to try it before the sun went down. Smooth, fast, like a hot knife through butter. :rock:

Good call on the 361. It has the hand brake, so it will take some getting used to.

Puck

Congrats! :rockn: :rockn: :rockn:

O.k. clean up that 290 really good because you're gonna need to sell it to help fund a 460 in about....hmmm....I'll give ya 6 mos...:D

Did you guys not read the opening statement "I just sold my MS290..." How is he gonna clean it and sell it again?

I'm just sayin'...

bump_r said:
Did you guys not read the opening statement "I just sold my MS290..." How is he gonna clean it and sell it again?

I'm just sayin' that WAGONWHEELER needs to READ every now and then...

:cheers: I helped you complete the thought... :hmm3grin2orange:

Well, it was just in case he lied...or the deal didn't go thru...or he had another he forgot about...

I keep hoping I'll find another saw I forgot I had...

Chaser

hey bump_r, did that rep get fixed? :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

I sold it

to a kid on a lot my friend was clearing for cash. I was thinking about getting a new saw and the seller just fell into my lap. Still have not had a chance to really get into the 361 yet. It has been a horrible weekend for rain. Had to bury my grandmama on Saturday:cry: , so hopefully the end of this week I will be cutting some more wood. :chainsaw:

Thanks again for all your posts.

PUck

Back