Need help choosing a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blis said:
How bout two 3120 woodsported on double-ended bar....

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

For that kinda money we might be getting into hotsaw teritory though, HMMMMMMM a 250cc bikesaw, "GETER DONE!!!"
Andy

I'm not in to big of a hurry when I drop a tree that big. I don't like to cut them when they get that big, but lately I've been finding a lot of dead ones that are about that size that need to come down. I had to buy a bigger log splitter to handle them too. I'm gonna look for a 372xpg today-- What's the difference between a 372 xpg and an xpw?

IronDuck said:
I'm not in to big of a hurry when I drop a tree that big. I don't like to cut them when they get that big, but lately I've been finding a lot of dead ones that are about that size that need to come down. I had to buy a bigger log splitter to handle them too. I'm gonna look for a 372xpg today-- What's the difference between a 372 xpg and an xpw?
The xp is the basic halv wrap version, the xpg is the same with heated handles and carb, and the xpw has a full wrap handle - but no heating.

The current Baileys versions of the 372 also has a larger bore and more displacement, but not more power, as it probably is more restricted elsewhere (according to the Troll - he is right behind me).

Last edited:
SawWitch said:
The xp is the basic halv wrap version, the xpg is the same with heated handles and carb, and the wpw has a full wrap handle - but no heating.

The current Baileys versions of the 372 also has a larger bore and more displacement, but not more power as it is more restricted elsewhere (according to the Troll - he is right me).

just wondering, has xpgw/xpwg ever been made?

I have never heard of it, but maybe for the Canadian market??????

Yes, they make XPGW models, they're sitting on my dealer's shelf all the time. Cold weather, steeper ground and larger timber makes it good to have both on your saw.

I have a year and a half old 385xp for a resonable price in the trading post if anyone is interested in a nice big saw in decent condition....

I like the 372, but comparing a 70cc saw of today to one of 15-20 years ago isn't fair. The newer saws are lighter and rather "peaky" compared to the old torque monsters... The 372 is a great saw, but not one that will run a 28" in hardwoods all the time....24" is about the max I would run on mine. I have had a 28" on it a time or two, but it is all but fast in the best hardwoods.

Last edited:
I would think a 372 would do fine. It will just be a little slow on the real big stuff. It Might be nice to have two saws though. Say a 390 and a 353. One for the big wood, and one that will handle all of the small-medium stuff, and weighs a lot less. But the 372 would be a good compromise if you can only afford one.

Latest posts

Back