Need HELP - FAST!!! 395xp or MS660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well fellas, can't thank ya'll enough. Think I'll go the 660, I'll call the guy here in a few and try and finalize the deal.

Thanks to all for your wicked fast replies. That's more than I expected on a Sat morning!!

I like 'em both, at first the 395 seemed like a dog but it's starting to come around.
The MS660 is fairly light and handy with a 25"ES bar, the 395 is a great 404 driver on a 36" bar.

660 all the way... Unless you plan to use it on a mill or for a landing saw. The 395's will walk over a 660 stock as power goes though. Put a DP on the 660 and it will help. The 660 just feel a lot better and lighter than the 395. Nice to have an inner clutch if you go back and forth between 404 and 3/8 chain like I do.

John

ok fellas, found a dealer who is going out of business and can get the following saws new w/ fact warranties and they're the same price:
MS660 or 395XP (I can get any bar for either)

Now - do I need a saw this big, no...a 75cc would do, but I can get either of these for $50 more than the best deal I can find on a new MS460 so:

1. Should I go this big? (have a 5 or 6, 36-40", 6-10' long oak to cut up) for firewood...I only cut firewood ...~ 10 cords a year
2. Which one?!! I won't be able to try either of these

I doubt they'll last so I need to decide TODAY (IMO).
I run Stihl now, but will be upgrading my MS290 to a MS361 very soon.

Your advice is greatly appreciated. THANKS!!

PS: Here's the thread where I received previous advice...
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=109325

Also I was gonna wait til the IN GTG to decide so I could run a few different ones, but highly doubt these saws will be around after the GTG. I hate to miss a damn good deal that won't come around again.

did you really start this thread LOL:greenchainsaw:

what is your favorite color? they are both amazing saws, i would say since that dealer is going under, I would get what ever saw had better dealer support in my area, if they were the same i would get the 660 because i am from northern cal and huskies are shunned here for some stupid reason...

I don't see the weight of the 395 being a decider for the 660 to be chosen when the latter will make your hands numb for a week.

You don't need a saw this big by the sounds of things but some people buy a more expensive motorcycle and leave them in the garage to look pretty.

Buy the 395 and if further down the road you want/need a saw the size of a 660, get a 390XP :clap:

IT seems that if you do not need a saw this big that it would be crazy to buy the heavier of the two. Get the 660 you will love it they are great saws, and it will last you a lifetime.

I have the 660 and a 361. Didn't need the 660, but I found a deal on one, and power tools are my hobby (that's what I tell the girlfriend). Love my 361, haven't had a chance to really run my 660. But from the little I've used it, I would highly reccomend it.

Well I guess it wasn't meant to be. I missed out on the 660 by an hour!

I'm hesitant to get the Husky as I've never even heard one run before, let alone run one.....I was OK with the Stihl, as I'm familiar with them...

So, that said I'll wait til the GTG thsi weekend, run a few, then decide on size/ brand to compliment the soon-to-be-mine 361.

Thanks to all, I greatly appreciate your advice. Sorry it wasn't a "success story" :) Thanks again.

Josh

Well I guess it wasn't meant to be. I missed out on the 660 by an hour!

Josh

Bummer, I had my choice of a 395 or 390XP from a shop liquidating their saws, and chose the 390. It's lighter than the 395, has inboard clutch/rim sprocket, and still plenty of power. I would pass on the 395XP if your only reason for purchasing is a "good deal".

Bummer, I had my choice of a 395 or 390XP from a shop liquidating their saws, and chose the 390. It's lighter than the 395, has inboard clutch/rim sprocket, and still plenty of power. I would pass on the 395XP if your only reason for purchasing is a "good deal".

yeah there's so much I don't know about them - out vs in clutch...non-side adjust tensioner, etc.

I just feel it's a smarter decision to wait right now...just hate to pass upo a killer deal, but sometimes passing on a good deal is a good thing...damn I hope so in this case!!!

Get the 395. I've used both and the 395 will walk away from a 660 every time and you won't have your hands vibrating for a week afterward if you get the 395.

Back