Need help! Gonna try a bike saw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PARTSWOODCHUCK

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409012078.228041.jpg Kawasaki 125cc with a 150cc cylinder kit and FMF pipe. The motor has some work done to it for flat track racing and is currently running on Vp C10 fuel.

I know my way around porting saws for county fair racing but this is definitely outside my comfort zone. A co-worker of mine went to a competition in NH last weekend and saw the hotsaws and after some back and forth donated this bike to me for the build.

I'm looking to finish the project by early next summer to run it in the open classes in the county fairs I run in. My constraints are a very limited budget and wanting to do it right the first time.

So Troutfisher an anyone else willing to help out I would greatly appreciate all the advice and wisdom you could share!

Should make a nice engine..if it has power valve..lock it wide open..I'm thinking a 14 tooth .404 or a 16 tooth 3/8...I've got a cr125 project coming up this winter..I'm thinking running alky on it though

Looks like a good project! I'm glad to help any way I can. The power valve on my saw is locked open too. Step one on mine was to tear it down to the bare cases and saw the transmission off.

Alright, now we got some action! It's gonna be slow going to start, I'm in the process of buying a house and will be doing the bulk of the work there.

Any insight as to what I should look out for when I'm gathering parts and pieces?

I guess you need to make some decisions about the saw you want. Using a harvester bar, chainsaw bar, or something custom? Aluminum side plate? rewind starter or throw away pully setup? how about fuel and oil tanks? original carb?
My saw uses a harvester bar from baileys (.404 chain), rewind starter from a snowmobile, plastic fuel tank from a weed wacker, and uses the water jackets in the head and cylinder for bar oil.

This is exactly the type of info I am in need of. I thought a lot if places required throw away ropes?

You have actually helped me a ton with just those questions.

I figure to be safer I will run a harvester bar and .404 chain, I like the idea of using a rewind off of a snowmobile. And I was going to do the water jackets for bar oil.

What are some options for the rear handle/throttle setup? This has been kind of baffling me, but I figured when I get to that point it won't be too hard to figure out

yup, balance is important. Also think about the angle the bar is at when it's sitting on the ground, remember you'll be lifting it with one hand and starting it with the other...... you want the bar to get to the block easily without having to lift the saw more than you have to.

Jeepyfz450 did a build thread with pics this spring...thread title.."did Honda make a chainsaw".....since then I made a new pipe for his and we got the weight down to 49lbs ready to race...its in the chainsaw forum

Latest posts

Back