new member, need help picking from these used saws .....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks all for the advice and opinions, they are appreciated....

yeah, I realize the 100 octane is somewhat wasteful, but I like how even if it sits around for while, it will still be waaaaay above 90 octane no matter how long it sits basically in a sealed can.... I can now get Ethanol free 91 octane nearby so I may switch to that anyways.

The little zenoah 27.2cc was rated at sea level so it is down some power here at a mile high.... it is supposed to turn upwards of 18,000+rpm and I believe it.
I currently have it mounted on a goped just to have a test run stand of sorts. It is honestly too fast to even try to ride and it has so much dang compression that you can't kick start it without almost falling over the handlebars!!! I am buying a stock 2.3hp engine to go onto the Goped to sell it so it is user friendly.

Griffonks! Thanks for your warm welcome and excellent information; I very well may take you up on it.

It sounds like the Jonesreds 630 is the pick of the litter...... How do you think it will compare to the Dolmar PS-5100S?

Otherwise, what is a fair price to ask for the 5100 if I get it fixed up nicely?

630 is a tough saw. 353 is also a great saw. I'd go 630 and you can always upgrade the piston and cylinder and have a larger more powerful saw.

ok, so in the meantime, I would like to hijack my own thread and ask for opinions on the best 2 stroke oil.... I am really not going to use it a bunch, so I don't mind if the pre-mix oil is expensive if it means it will keep my saw and hobby engines from gumming up and keep everything alive and well for a long time. I was also told that the Honda HP2 oil is very good as well.....

I have had some suggestions so far and wanted to ask for more....

The Dumonde Tech looks great, but no one nearby carries it apparently.

The Husky XP oil and Stihl oil both look pretty good as well though.

630 is a tough saw. 353 is also a great saw. I'd go 630 and you can always upgrade the piston and cylinder and have a larger more powerful saw.

On the 630, what can I upgrade it to?

and for the 353, what can it be upgraded to?

Thanks!

OIL THREAD! :lol:

Oil is oil anymore.if it burns it does its job.actually i used Valvoline air cooled and switched to pennzoil when i couldn't get valveoline.heard that it was the same as the stihl oil in the orange bottle.just about all two stroke oil for outdoor power equipment is made in the same refinery just packaged differently and slightly modified for different companies.there are two types conventional dino oil and the synthetic oil which has low ash and carbon build up.
I have dabbled with some synthetic and just can't justify the added expense.stihl hp ultra give me amongst others a bad headache.i have since quit using it and switched back to stihl oil in the orange bottle.
And thats about all i know about oil.
images

Stihl Ultra for me. Runs clean and I've had no issues with it. The dyno oil is fine too as far as I'm concerned. Just don't mix the two together.

As for the upgrade, 272XP. As for oil any brand name two stroke oil will work, ( Stihl, Husqvarna XP, Echo Power Blend, RedMax, Echo/Shindaiwa Red Armor, etc...) Personally I run Red Armor, never seen an engine so clean on the inside as when the unit has been run on Red Armor for a while.

Joe

I believe the Echo cs-452vl has points. Since you want a reliable saw for the long term, I would put this one last of the four you've listed.

You can upgrade the 630 to a 67cc 670, or a 272xp top end. The 670 swap is likely the easiest, as you retain your intake/carb setup, the 272 requires some different intake and linkage parts. Not hard though.
The 353 can be upgraded to a 346xp, bolt on piston and cylinder. It is the same crankcase/platform as the 346, a very highly regarded saw.

The 630 Jonsered did not use the same intake boot setup as the 625 and 670. It used the same intake block setup as the Husqvarna 162SE, 66, and 266XP. The carb was also pulsed through the manifold like the Huskys while the 625 and 670 had an external pulse line. With the exception of having to get a 268/272 intake block and possibly some longer screws the 272 top end should be plug and play on a 630. I am sure Spike60 will chime in before long and let us know for sure though.

Joe

ok, so in the meantime, I would like to hijack my own thread and ask for opinions on the best 2 stroke oil.... I am really not going to use it a bunch, so I don't mind if the pre-mix oil is expensive if it means it will keep my saw and hobby engines from gumming up and keep everything alive and well for a long time. I was also told that the Honda HP2 oil is very good as well.....

I have had some suggestions so far and wanted to ask for more....

The Dumonde Tech looks great, but no one nearby carries it apparently.

The Husky XP oil and Stihl oil both look pretty good as well though.

I run Belray in ported saws Red armor in Daily drivers. A 353 can be made in to a 346.... And I have a jred 670 jug, it might fit on a 630, I'm not sure.... PM me so we can talk...

The 630 Jonsered did not use the same intake boot setup as the 625 and 670. It used the same intake block setup as the Husqvarna 162SE, 66, and 266XP. The carb was also pulsed through the manifold like the Huskys while the 625 and 670 had an external pulse line. With the exception of having to get a 268/272 intake block and possibly some longer screws the 272 top end should be plug and play on a 630. I am sure Spike60 will chime in before long and let us know for sure though.

Joe
I have a 670 in a 266, the impulse was modded. I also have a collection of 272's and parts.....

I found the Belray H1-R at a local motorcycle shop. Haven't found the Shindaiwa Red Armor oil yet locally.

Griffonks, which BelRay oil are your running?

Maxima K2 is good oil as well. Honda hp2 is good oil at a low price also.

I found the Belray H1-R at a local motorcycle shop. Haven't found the Shindaiwa Red Armor oil yet locally.

Griffonks, which BelRay oil are your running?

Your local Echo dealer should be able to get it for you.

Joe

Latest posts

Back