new member, need help picking from these used saws .....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha, well, my dad has got stingy and now he doesn't want to part with anything but the old Echo cs452vl

I am still working on him for the J'red 630 though....

We will see what happens.

In the meantime, I came across an early carb'd Stihl MS-441 in good mechanical condition that is the dirtiest saw I have ever seen. I spent two hours so far cleaning old gunk out of the covers and such, but the piston and cylinder are perfect and it ran good and has good compression. Looks like it was ran well and the mechanicals were taken care of at least. I am going through it all the way, replacing impulse and fuel lines and filters and getting used to the saw.

I bought it to fix it up and see if I like/need a saw that size since I have never used anything more than a 50cc.

I may take some pics of before and after if I can.... I didn't take many before pics...

Haha, well, my dad has got stingy and now he doesn't want to part with anything but the old Echo cs452vl

In the meantime, I came across an early carb'd Stihl MS-441 in good mechanical condition that is the dirtiest saw I have ever seen. I spent two hours so far cleaning old gunk out of the covers and such, but the piston and cylinder are perfect and it ran good and has good compression. Looks like it was ran well and the mechanicals were taken care of at least. I am going through it all the way, replacing impulse and fuel lines and filters and getting used to the saw.

I bought it to fix it up and see if I like/need a saw that size since I have never used anything more than a 50cc.

I may take some pics of before and after if I can.... I didn't take many before pics...

The Jonsered 630 would make a good all around saw, and handle the occasional large wood. Since you said that you want/plan to keep the saw a very long time, parts availability might be an issue. You can take care of the engine, but all it takes is one accident to break a NLA and very rare part. Parts, even used ones to save paying Stihl new OEM prices, for the 441 should be available for quite some time.

Have you run that 452 echo? Thoughts? The reason I am asking is there is one in a local pawnshop here, and just slow pulling the cord it has really stout compression, seems better than any of the other dozen or so saws sitting on the shelf there..

I haven't, but I talked to my Dad today and it sounds like the J'red 630 will be coming my way soon!!!
Like some others have suggested who live at higher elevation, I need all the engine I can get in a moderate weight class.

My dad says the echo 452 is very strong and thinks it would work, but since he can have 5 or 6 saws and I am likely to be able to have only one, he is going to give the J'red 630 to me!!!

Latest posts

Back