Need help sizing new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zsteinmetz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok guys I know someone can help me on this. Im in the market for a new saw and cant decide. I own a stihl 034 super which isn bad but not enough saw for me. I have been lately borrowing a ms 361 from work and was impressed but tonight in some dry oak(3 foot in diameter) I gave it the test. It still seemed to be a bit underpowered but i do like the weight of the saw. So the local stihl dealer has a 046 for sale nice. Is this quite a jump from the 361 or not really? And would it be alot heavier? Im debating on a ms 390 or the o46 or any suggestions appreciated.

IMHO - The 361 is lighter and is built better than the 390 (although more expensive), and would outcut it. Since you've used one you know what to expect. If I was in your shoes and you felt you could use more power, i don't think you could go wrong with the 460...

The ms361 and ms390 will be about equal in power but the ms361 is the better saw. Now a ms460 is alot more saw than the ms361 but you will see a weight gain. If you are cutting 30'' trees often then a ms460 would be what I would want to use. If you are open to other brands I would also look into a dolmar 7900 and maybe a husky 372xp or ms440,441. Since you have a 034 super I would not go with a ms361 or a ms390.

Last edited:
saw ??

stihl 046. it is 75cc saw. the 046 in good shape mechanicl shape can run a
32" bar and full skip chain quite well. me i would run on 046 a modified muffler and and a set of double dawgs and a 28" bar and full skip chain. just my penny thought:) :givebeer:
:cheers:

I agree an 046 or something similar or bigger would compliment your woodcutting chores. Keep the 034 though even if you buy another smaller saw down the road. One of the biggest mistakes I made was selling my first 034 super after getting a 066 mag and 55 husky. I lost my 066 in a accident and the smaller saw was not adequate to get my work done in a reasonable amount of time. The o34 super could do just about anything I wanted to do in a reasonable amount of time, just not as fast as a bigger saw bucking.

A 390 and 460 will weigh about the same, I'd definatley do the 460, infact I'm going to as soon as George W sends me my check!! Pass on the 361 the weight won't be that noticable, not for the gain in performance.

Everyone in the chainsaw section seems to LOVE the Dolmar 7900's, and they are the TALK of the whole dang board! :)

The ms361 and ms390 will be about equal in power but the ms361 is the better saw. Now a ms460 is alot more saw than the ms361 but you will see a weight gain. If you are cutting 30'' trees often then a ms460 would be what I would want to use. If you are open to other brands I would also look into a dolmar 7900 and maybe a husky 372xp or ms440,441. Since you have a 034 super I would not go with a ms361 or a ms390.

+1 Good advice.

Back