Need second saw (60-70 cc) to complement 50 cc

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill.A.Bong

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Been looking to establish us as a two saw household by adding something larger to my 026. Although the 026 does fine for most things, it does slow down on some of the larger stuff. So far I like the feel of the MS441 with 25" bar, but clearly there are other options and in any case I dont have the $900 for a new one.

I did locate a used 066. The 2nd owner of this late 90's saw has installed new pull rope and handle, spark plug and fuel filter, new pre air filter, brake handle, and handle bar. Has a Stihl dual port cover. The saw starts fine cold or hot, oils and brakes properly. Manual, tools, spare plug and fuel filter are included. Wants $650.

Is this a reasonable price? Is this saw a realistic option or am I better off waiting for a good used 441 or a 60 cc saw?

Cheers,

Ever consider a stihl MS 390? I have a 25" bar on mine and it works great for me. It was $520 after taxes. Now the 361 guys can chime in and tell you what a junker the 390 is.

I had similar scenario to move up bigger than the 026 and 280 sizes. Don't need much bigger, but looking at the 046 used. I ended up with a HD rental dolmar 64 converted to 79 cc by a member here. Almost perfect body work, two bars, half a dozen chains and freight to my door under $500. They are a good buy on a good saw for fiewood use. Bucking up a fallen 24 inch box elder last week, sweet, and smooth.

Support for me is by internet, but I have other saws if it goes down. Been great so far.

kcj

Ever consider a stihl MS 390? I have a 25" bar on mine and it works great for me. It was $520 after taxes. Now the 361 guys can chime in and tell you what a junker the 390 is.

Not right for the 2saw combination he's after, but neither is the 361 unless it happens to be a steal [pun caught, but not intended].

My two saw plan falls to the smaller side (60&40CC class), so no expert here, but that 441 or good deal on a 066 sounds great...... now is that $650 a good deal? Need someone far more on top of them than me to know.

To go with a 026/MS260??....... gotta be an 046/MS460. ;)

Best two saw plan out there, bar none.

If you've got a 50cc saw there is absolutely no need for a 60cc saw to go with it...... you need/want a solid 70cc saw to handle the big stuff when your 50cc saw is out gunned. A 60cc saw would just be a little less out gunned, not enough separation for me.

Look at an 046/MS460, or maybe an 044/MS440 if you can find one.... trust me you won't be sorry.

:cheers:

I suppose a hopped up 361 could make the equation a cool 1saw-with-1back-up-saw plan, but if starting with a new one, adding on the saw builder's work would probably make that used 066 look cheap.

I agree with Erick entirely. There's not enough gap between a 026 and a 361. I go with a 460 all the way. I'd rather have that than a 660 for normal use. BTW, I think $650 is too much for a 10 year old 066.

And don't waste your money on a factore DP muffler cover unless you have no mechanical skills or tools at all. It's very simple to just upen up the outlet in the muffler body. If you want more, spend $15 and put a Husky deflector on the opposite side and it'll significantly out flow a DP cover.

Been looking to establish us as a two saw household by adding something larger to my 026. Although the 026 does fine for most things, it does slow down on some of the larger stuff. So far I like the feel of the MS441 with 25" bar, but clearly there are other options and in any case I dont have the $900 for a new one.

I did locate a used 066. The 2nd owner of this late 90's saw has installed new pull rope and handle, spark plug and fuel filter, new pre air filter, brake handle, and handle bar. Has a Stihl dual port cover. The saw starts fine cold or hot, oils and brakes properly. Manual, tools, spare plug and fuel filter are included. Wants $650.

Is this a reasonable price? Is this saw a realistic option or am I better off waiting for a good used 441 or a 60 cc saw?

Cheers,
offer him 500 for the saw.. that is the exact combo I use and it works great for me... the 066 is kinda heavy at first, but I don't notice now.. I run a 28 inch bar with an 8 pin and a 7 with the 36.. the 066 will cut anything a firewood cutter needs to be cutting..I had a 371xp which is a great saw too, but I love the power of the 066 for what I cut, 30 inch plus hard woods..

For the 650.00 price of a used 066 you could have a new 7300, or 7900 at the right dealer.

If you want to stay with Stihl, Erick was right on the money, however don't overlook the 372, 2171, or the Dolmar options.

Everyone was right about the 50-60 cc jump not being big enough.
It does however, leave the door open to a 70cc then an 80cc then.........

I think $650 is too expensive much for a really used old 066.

I would look in the 70cc range saw, and run a 24" bar. Maybe a used 441, 440 or 038 mag.

I think a 50cc and 70cc saw is the perfect combo for Firewood duty.

Interesting. My two saw plan consists of a 026 running a 20 inch bar and chain, and a 044 with a 30 inch bar and chain. i prefer the 44 over the 46 if your gonna go used simply because it seems to handle much better with virtually the same power. 60cc saw is a firewood saw, its sort of the type of saw a person will get for a one saw plan but basicly anything a 026 cant do you really just need to step up to 70cc. check out some used 044s and 046s very good saws. and 650 is to much for the 066

I went with a new Delmar 7900, to compliment my 026's.

If your willing to pay $650.00 for a used 066 saw, you may want to consider new saw. I walked out the door with the 7900 for under $750. That included 20" bar, three chains, dozen files with oregon guide & handle (wood) combo, three flat files, pair of winter leather gloves, and two gallons of husky bar oil.

Good luck with what ever your decision is.

To go with a 026/MS260??....... gotta be an 046/MS460. ;)

Best two saw plan out there, bar none.

If you've got a 50cc saw there is absolutely no need for a 60cc saw to go with it...... you need/want a solid 70cc saw to handle the big stuff when your 50cc saw is out gunned. A 60cc saw would just be a little less out gunned, not enough separation for me.

Look at an 046/MS460, or maybe an 044/MS440 if you can find one.... trust me you won't be sorry.

:cheers:

Had to put in a solid 24hrs work without chance to login - really appreciate all your thoughts. It seems most of you think that a 60cc is not enough of a jump up from the 026 and that the used 066 is too expensive for what it is.

This really narrows things down a lot - if I want to stay with Stihl it seems the 044/440/441 or 046/460 is the saw I need to be looking for. Not locked into Stihl, just like the way the 026 has performed over the years.

I do like the thought of not breathing raw 2-stroke exhaust as much as I seem to with the 026 so for that reason have been leaning towards the 441. Have not seen good used ones yet. Maybe save a bit more and bite the bullet on a new one? At least I'll KNOW it hasn't been mishandled. Tend to be a bit anal about my small engine equipment...

Did get a great fathersday present from my son - brand new set of chaps!

Cheers,

Back