Need some advice!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rugermk2

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,
Im currently doing an internship for a forester, and I like to use my own saw for the work I do. I really like this type of work, so I might further my carrer into this field. I've been using a homelite for the past few weeks, but I would like to get something different. Any suggestions on something that is reasonably priced, but yet heavy duty and reliable? My father owns a McCulloch Pro Mac 800, but I know he won't be giving that up anytime soon lol!!! Thanks for looking, and any suggestions will be gladly appreciated.

Rugermk2

Ya, I don't mean to sound generic, but if you are gonna do something for a living that has to do with chainsaws I would recommend a Stihl or at least a Husky. The simple fact is that they are both powerful and reliable and tend to have a long life if taken care of reasonably. Talk to your local dealer to see what you would want. That's my best advice. you get what you pay for
:greenchainsaw:

Dolmar, Husky (Jonsered), or Stihl are all good choices. I'd look around and see what my peers are using. If the whole crew is using the same saws and each member carries a few different repair parts its like having a complete parts store everywhere you go.

70cc Class

Dolmar, Husky (Jonsered), or Stihl are all good choices. I'd look around and see what my peers are using. If the whole crew is using the same saws and each member carries a few different repair parts its like having a complete parts store everywhere you go.

+1, there are numerous benneficial aspects to carrying like items in emergency situations in regards to co-workers. Parts interchangeability, equipment familiarization, parts / service support, etc...

However, if co-workers turn out to be carrying a variety of different saws I'd go with with a quality saw in the 70cc class since you might be walking and carrying this saw for extended periods of time. Big enough to generally get the job done and reasonably light enough that you should have no objection to carrying it around for periods of time. If you can still aquire a STIHL MS440 (441 same class) I'd personnally go with this saw first.

I have a good friend who did exactly the work that you're describing and this is the saw that he carried and he swears up and down by it based upon the saws flexibility and practicality. In his case it was a Stihl, however, any good saw that fits this bill would obviously suffice. There are a numerous quality saws offered by the top manufacturers in this class. Whatever you decide; Stihl Husqvarna, Dolmar, Jonsered, etc...A quality support / dealer network within close proximity is always a major plus. Let us know what you end up picking-up?

Best Regards,
OLY-JIM

Saw Decision/purchase

Go with either one of the better brands that has a dealer in your area of work, that way, there isn't any down time awaiting parts etc... once you find a good honest dealer that knows what they are talking about and selling/servicing, than your set, See if a Stihl-Husqvarna-Dolmar or Jonsered dealer are in your area. I'd go with a good power to weight ratio saw thats good for felling and limbing like the 361 from stihl or 359 from Husky both pro rated and dependable. Also if you ever get the feeling to mod your saw than these handle it well. What ever you pick, remember, as someone already said here. "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR". Good luck.

Thanks guys for your suggestions. I'll let you know what I come up with. It will probably be within the next week or so. Thanks again

Rugermk2

Thanks guys for your suggestions. I'll let you know what I come up with. It will probably be within the next week or so. Thanks again

Rugermk2

A lot of good general advice here, very good options (probably the best) for 60, 70 and 80cc saws, with corresponding power, are Stihl MS361, Husky 372xp and Dolmar 7900.

It all depend on what size of saw you really need.......:)

Rugermk2, do you prefer any one brand over the others? What size wood will you be cutting? One other thing I should mention is when you figure out which size saw (cc's) you want, go look at ever saw you can in that class. The reason I say that is because I was looking at saws last fall and early spring. I looked at the MS361 because of all the good things mentioned on this site. I went and held one and thought I liked it until I held a Husky 359/357XP. The Husky's fit me a lot better. The Stihl felt awkward, bulky and heavier then the Husky's. You may like the Stihl better. Just make sure you check out as many as you can.

I just want to add that I am in no way knocking the MS361 or any other saw for that matter.

Hi,
I like McCulloch chainsaws, not the newer ones but the older style. My dad owns a Pro Mac 800 and I really like the feel and power of it. Lately we have usually been cutting up to 10in in diameter, and girdling most anything over that. I think the biggest tree I have girdled so far was around 21-22inches. I am able to carry a pretty decent sized saw for long periods of time, so weight isn't really a factor to me. I would like something that is similar to the Pro Mac 800 in power though, but not cost me an arm and leg to own lol!!!! If you guys know where I could find a good running McCulloch saw for sale, only the Pro Mac series, I would really appreciate you letting me know. I'm still open for other brands of saws as well, and would be happy if someone could set me up with a saw that could handle the job. If you guys have any for sale, or that you might part with for a reasonable price, just message me, I might be interested. Thank you for looking.

Rugermk2

Hi,
I like McCulloch chainsaws, not the newer ones but the older style. My dad owns a Pro Mac 800 and I really like the feel and power of it. Lately we have usually been cutting up to 10" in diameter, and girdling most anything over that. I think the biggest tree I have girdled so far was around 21-22". I am able to carry a pretty decent sized saw for long periods of time, so weight isn't really a factor to me. I would like something that is similar to the Pro Mac 800 in power though, but not cost me an arm and leg to own lol!!!! If you guys know where I could find a good running McCulloch saw for sale, only the Pro Mac series, I would really appreciate you letting me know. I'm still open for other brands of saws as well, and would be happy if someone could set me up with a saw that could handle the job. If you guys have any for sale, or that you might part with for a reasonable price, just message me, I might be interested. Thank you for looking.

Rugermk2

It's a fine saw not trying to rain on your parade BUT... You are going to be in REMOTE locations, where will you get parts? You are going to be operating your saw for LONG hours, most old Macs vibrate to the point it effects your performance.
Most Husqvarnas and some Stihls have really good anti vibe systems and can be operated for countless hours without causing additional fatigue. Use the search function for recommended saws. These guys and gals are professionals, as you will be, put a finger in one ear and LISTEN to what is being recommended!!!

Last edited:
.... I looked at the MS361 because of all the good things mentioned on this site. I went and held one and thought I liked it until I held a Husky 359/357XP. ....

It actually is the other way around with the powerhead weight - lots of proof on that, but the differense isn't huge, so the bar on the saws in question will deside the final outcome.

The Stihl is also easier to service, and more versatile in actual use, for several reasons, but the most important part is of course how they feel to you.

Last edited:
uh oh the peeessinn match has started

here we go again:dizzy: :dizzy: :jawdrop: i say stihl Mss 660 w/ a 32" w/full skip safety chain w/3/4 wrap handle: :rock:
just my beer monies worth:givebeer:

It actually is the other way around with the powerhead weight - lots of proof on that, but the differense isn't huge, so the bar on the saws in question will deside the final outcome.
No it's not the other way around - don't need no proof. I was talking about how they feel to ME. Not how much a scale says they weigh. The MS361 feels heavier (and bulkier) then the 359/357XP and even the 2156 to ME, bar lengths being equal. Just as my 029 felt heavier to me then my 365 does. My friend likes the feel of the 029 over my 365, he says the 029 feel lighter. I ran them both side by side and the 029 felt heavier. I'm pretty sure they weigh about the same. Once I get above the MS260, Stihl's just don't seem to fit me as good as Husky's.

My point is Rugermk2 should go handle as many different saw as possible. If he likes the MS361 over the 357XP, that's fine. If he likes the 372XP over the MS440, that's fine. Or if he likes the Dolmar 5100 or 7900, that's fine too. I'm not making this a brand -vs- brand issue. I've bought things in the past without looking at a similar idem made by someone else and later regretted it. Just trying to give him some good advise. ;)

Bar weights is not just a q about lenght, brand, model, and profile/tip sprocket counts makes some differense also - just for the record.......;)

To me, the 359 and 357xp feels heavier than the 361 with 3/8" Rollomatic E, even with the wimpy (slim, actually) .325 bars the Huskys come standard with here (all 15")......

Last edited:
To me, the 359 and 357xp feels heavier than the 361 with 3/8" Rollomatic E, even with the wimpy (slim, actually) .325 bars the Huskys come standard with here (all 15")......

See, two different people.........two different perceived perceptions! :cheers:

From what I've seen here, 357XP's come with 18" to 20" bars and 3/8 chains. There are exceptions! :)

Back