Need some in-person help tuning some saws in Pennsylvania

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WolfpactVI

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Been lurking around AS for 4-5 years now, hardly ever post. Mostly because I've always been able to find the answer already posted to any question I had. No sense re-asking questions already asked and answered dozens of times over. But now I really need some help: is there anyone around south-eastern PA that could teach me how to tune a saw by ear in person?

I have a Stihl MS390 that I'm desperate to muffler mod, and an MS192T that I think got knocked something out of proper adjustment - seemed to lose power all of a sudden when I went to use it one time. I'd like to MM that sometime too.

I've already tried tuning the 390 after I had it apart for a good cleaning, but I could never seem to hear the same stuff I could hear in all of the sound clips and videos - the 4-stroking and whatnot. I really want to be able to keep my saws exactly tuned myself. At this point, I'm completely guessing, which is pointless. Not knowing how to do this exactly right (or even pretty darn close for that matter) is frustrating me to no end. There are places around I can take my saws, but it's really my responsibility to know how to do this. If there is anyone out there within an hour's drive that could help, I'll gladly make the drive and bring my saws over. I'm in Sellersville, PA. If you draw a line between Philadelphia and Allentown, I'm around the midpoint of the line.

Help!

- Justin

I sincerely regret having to tell you this, but there's no one in Pennsylvania that knows anything about chainsaws.

You'll need to ship your saws to Tennessee, where a team of highly-educated primates works on saws when not serving
as test subjects for anti-VD drugs.

Hello everyone,

Been lurking around AS for 4-5 years now, hardly ever post. Mostly because I've always been able to find the answer already posted to any question I had. No sense re-asking questions already asked and answered dozens of times over. But now I really need some help: is there anyone around south-eastern PA that could teach me how to tune a saw by ear in person?

I have a Stihl MS390 that I'm desperate to muffler mod, and an MS192T that I think got knocked something out of proper adjustment - seemed to lose power all of a sudden when I went to use it one time. I'd like to MM that sometime too.

I've already tried tuning the 390 after I had it apart for a good cleaning, but I could never seem to hear the same stuff I could hear in all of the sound clips and videos - the 4-stroking and whatnot. I really want to be able to keep my saws exactly tuned myself. At this point, I'm completely guessing, which is pointless. Not knowing how to do this exactly right (or even pretty darn close for that matter) is frustrating me to no end. There are places around I can take my saws, but it's really my responsibility to know how to do this. If there is anyone out there within an hour's drive that could help, I'll gladly make the drive and bring my saws over. I'm in Sellersville, PA. If you draw a line between Philadelphia and Allentown, I'm around the midpoint of the line.

Help!

- Justin

I have wanted to ask the same thing for myself where I am at. I have read dozens of threads and watched/listened to dozens of clips and still can't get it. I am a hands on learner myself. If you offer some beer or cash you will probably get all the help you need :laugh:

I am sure some would do it for nothing, but I always offer payment because I value other peoples time and knowledge. Let us know how it goes if you get any takers.

I'm in Lancaster county pa. I'm going to NJ tomorrow. Probably driving right past you. Heading down the turnpike then south down around Phili and into NJ

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

Help!

- Justin

Repped for using the search function.

Have you removed the limiter caps on the carb? If not, you may not have enough adjustment to get the saw to four stroke.

Hello everyone,

Help!

- Justin

I am about 20 to 30minutes from you but i am in the same boat as you . I have a tach for tuning but take my saw to the dealer to make sure it is tuned right.

Well, I occasionally get to Sellersville but probably won't be there before this summer. My sister lives there. (Between there and Perkasie) Hope you can connect with someone.

I sincerely regret having to tell you this, but there's no one in Pennsylvania that knows anything about chainsaws.

You'll need to ship your saws to Tennessee, where a team of highly-educated primates works on saws when not serving
as test subjects for anti-VD drugs.

I thought there was a Dis-like button....hmmmmm.

Hello everyone,

Help!

- Justin
Justin, pm "Albert" if you can. He's near doylestown, one of the best around a wrench and saw. I'm close to hunterdon county ifn ya get this way I'm not that far and would help. Got a tach some wood and an ear.

I am in Central NJ near Freehold, and I am in the same boat too!

I have worked a lot of 4 strokes but not so much two strokes. I have to tear apart my Stihl MS 650 Magnum and clean the carb very well, however being that I am at college and do not work while at college, it would be hard for me to come up with money to pay the dealer to tune the carb. The advantage to having someone show you is that hopefully it will stick with you, so you not only know how to do it yourself but to help others in the future!

Sounds like a great way to meet and connect with some fellow members!

-Charles

DozerDan could get an old boy fixed right up. He's one of the best.

I am more then willing to help you out but I am 3 hours (155 mile) from you. I am 60 mile N West of Harrisburg. If a few of you guys that need help and want to get together and bring your saws. I will spend about half a day with you to help you out.

Later
Dan

I am more then willing to help you out but I am 3 hours (155 mile) from you. I am 60 mile N West of Harrisburg. If a few of you guys that need help and want to get together and bring your saws. I will spend about half a day with you to help you out.

Later
Dan

Alright gang who is up for this? I'm in Susquehanna county and willing to drive down and meet with DD.

Latest posts

Back