need some opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCTREE

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So their is this tree, it's a London Plane tree. It has a major vine problem, the customer wants me to prune it. I went and looked at it today realizing that the vine problem is the most significant problem. It looks like it has been topped at one time but it is hard to see with all the vine. That is my assumption based upon the branches growing straight up and most of the other Plane trees on the block have been topped too. I don't see much as far as trimming other than a little elevation over the house and street. All the other Plane trees that have been topped seemed to have healed pretty well from the topping.

My question is how do you think I should go about removing the vines? I was thinking a handsaw would be best in order to keep from injuring the tree. Do you think I could use a small top handle chainsaw on the larger lower vines if i'm careful? The thing is I think this is going to be a very time consuming task and I want to do a good job.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

sounds like you have never de-vined a tree, you are in for a very lengthy lesson in futile effort.
IMHO;
1) you better have have a bucket or lift.
2) the vines have grown into the bark usually.
3) The stuff will not chip, only clog. you invariably have to roll it up with
a skidsteer and stuff it into the truck or trailer.
4) cutting apart and then pulling the vines off with a machine works best, without breaking
the limbs is the hard part.
5) put LOTS of hours on it.

I have done a lot of vine pruning years ago, won't touch it now.

good luck, though. :cheers:

That vines gonna whip your lilly Pensi ass! :hmm3grin2orange:

J/k. lol. A sugoi with that vine cutting tip might help some....either way thats a bad one there, price it high enough. Kinda odd these people wait till the dead of winter to go getting this priced out huh?

We've done English ivy before, and it's time consuming but not that hard.

For the larger lower sections, cut around the tree in 3' sections, then rip the section vertically and it usually just peels off. A screwdriver or prybar helps to get one stem lifted. As you get into the smaller branches, then a handsaw works better.

Once you get into the smaller stems, just grab one and pull. They are stuck, but pull off fairly easily if you grab an end.

I've found the larger stems chip ok, not quite so well in the smaller stems. Your knives need to be sharp.

I've had artists ask me to save the peeled larger sections because of the interesting look.

Just put lots of hours on the job. If the homeowner balks at price, you can just remove a 1' strip around the base of the tree and the ivy in the rest of the tree will die fairly quickly. Still look bad, though.

I think once you get started you will make some headway. Still not going to be quickly done. It really helps to have 2 climbers armed with things like hand pruners, little prybars, hand saws and thing like that.
I would not give a quote, I would give an hourly rate ( 125) with 2 guys and a estimate of how long to do it. 8 hours at least I think.

With that amount of vines present, I'd probably tell the people (unless they are in a big rush to get it done) that I'd cut out the bottom 10' or so and leave the rest to die off, then come back and clean it out later on.

With that amount of vines present, I'd probably tell the people (unless they are in a big rush to get it done) that I'd cut out the bottom 10' or so and leave the rest to die off, then come back and clean it out later on.

I would go 30-40 ft, they are a PITA when dried out. Give two options, an immaculate job where you pick everything out and charge a lot, and a price for getting the big parts out so that the fine stems will dry up and fall out. Most times people will happily pay for the latter. You will probably find a few dead stubs in the vine mats.

Having a hammer and chisel for the lower stems may help keeping the trunk from getting damaged.

attachment.php

one thing you may want to try is cutting the basal stem long, putting a prussic on, and pulling the stumps with a vehicle; it works sometimes, most of the time the break. They are so well grafted that it will be "fun" no matter what.

I have done vine removals before but nothing to this extent. I think my chuck and duck can handle it. I have chipped english ivy before and it did pretty well. I just have to cut it into wide enough pieces to go through my chipper. I was thinking it would take the whole day if not longer for one guy climbing. I would like to have another climber though to make it easier. TDM what do ya think, ya wanna tackle it with me? I don't own a bucket truck so I think thats out of the question. Doesn't look to bad if we climbed it. I think though it would be better to start from the top and work down because the vine is so thick it's gonna be hard to see and get a grip.

Thanks for some of the good tips guy I will definatly be trying all of them if she goes for it.

:cheers:

I think this is a candidate for complete removal. Their is way to much to try and save it, no matter what you do their will be alot of damage to the tree. jmo.

I have done vine removals before but nothing to this extent. I think my chuck and duck can handle it. I have chipped english ivy before and it did pretty well. I just have to cut it into wide enough pieces to go through my chipper. I was thinking it would take the whole day if not longer for one guy climbing. I would like to have another climber though to make it easier. TDM what do ya think, ya wanna tackle it with me? I don't own a bucket truck so I think thats out of the question. Doesn't look to bad if we climbed it. I think though it would be better to start from the top and work down because the vine is so thick it's gonna be hard to see and get a grip.

Thanks for some of the good tips guy I will definatly be trying all of them if she goes for it.

:cheers:

Sure. With 2 we can work on different areas alone then swing over to help pull the stuff down for each other. That is how I have done it in the past. I am not afraid to mess with it but the HO better be ready to pay the bill. I don't think chipping will be that hard either. Compared to what we deal with that ivy is a cake walk.

I think this is a candidate for complete removal. Their is way to much to try and save it, no matter what you do their will be alot of damage to the tree. jmo.

Good point. As long as the HO is aware that bark will get pulled off the de-vine is still do-able I think. I mean if that is what they want.

english ivy

i did a lot of english ivy removal in the pacific northwest....first i like to do the large lower stuff with 200t, and a crow bar. I did this as high as my ladder could reach. Then set a single line in above the ivy. I like to then get above the Ivy and work my way down with a smaller crow bar and a hand saw...I did a lot of it!!!!! !A large big leaf maple wuild take half a day.

I might add that the lady is really fond on keeping this tree. I actually worked on this property 5 years ago when I worked for my last boss. He told the HO that the vines were OK and he's a certified arborist. I think he didn't want to get involve in the removal of vines.

I am usually so expensive on jobs like that I never get them. When folks want us to fool with vines like that, they better get out that old l-o-n-g yellow checkbook.

Good point. As long as the HO is aware that bark will get pulled off the de-vine is still do-able I think. I mean if that is what they want.

do you think the bark will really get pulled off? I've taken english ivy off before an didn't notice that much damage. It does have smoother bark so that might help. I guess the only way to find out is try by taking a sample piece off.

Same thing here, it's not as bad as you think. However you have no central leader. Sorry ISA your going to have to spike it. Start from the top and try to spike the ivy more then the tree on your way down. Ivy is a well deserved break for our bandit 250xp it loves it.If had to use a whipper chipper i would bring a dump truck.

What spike it??? I think I can set a line in the top and ascend up then work my way down. Just set the line away from the trunk so your not climbing through the ivy. I guess it is thick enough though that you could spike it.

Back