need some opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I met with the customer an presented the options. We have come to the decision to sever the vines at the base of the trunk and let them die slowly.
I am also going to trim some low branches over the house and street plus inspect the tree where it was topped for any structural hazards. She has made it clear that she is sick of the vines and would like them to go and I don't blame her.

I would like to thank everyone for the advice, she was definitely impressed with my presentation.

:cheers:

I was gonna say this earlier....

Aren't we talking about the same trees that take so well to pollarding??
Seems like the sun wouldn't be such a problem taking that into consideration.

I would have told her a grand (if that's what your happy with) and just cut the vines out once and for all. If they are grown into the trunk here and there, leave that part for now, it should shrivel up and fall off later. Its not like you put them there... and they are pretty much a parasite at this point. Let the tree breath for once, if it dies at this point at least it got free of those wretched things before its death.

Last edited:
Aren't we talking about the same trees that take so well to pollarding??
Seems like the sun wouldn't be such a problem taking that into consideration.

There is a difference between bark that has been exposed to the sun with regular pollarding and removing large vine stems that have been covering the tree trunk for a decade or more.

Maybe if there is a rainy season that is usually cloudy? Staple burlap to the trunk for a season?

There is a difference between bark that has been exposed to the sun with regular pollarding and removing large vine stems that have been covering the tree trunk for a decade or more.

Maybe if there is a rainy season that is usually cloudy? Staple burlap to the trunk for a season?

Good point... still better now than in mid summer though, as the suns intensity will gradually increase in the spring, allowing the tree time to adjust no?? just thinking here. :confused:

The burlap is a good idea. Labor intensive and costly, but a good idea.

Last edited:

Recent research indicates temperature on the the bark is greater with trunk wraps.They also hold moisture, leading to fungal problems. Trees are better off without them. Remove as much ivy as possible. The tree even with a few nicks will be much better off. I have seen several declining maples due to old dead ivy.

Recent research indicates temperature on the the bark is greater with trunk wraps.They also hold moisture, leading to fungal problems. Trees are better off without them. Remove as much ivy as possible. The tree even with a few nicks will be much better off. I have seen several declining maples due to old dead ivy.

Personally, I would have just taken the vine off - without the spikes though!

Recent research indicates temperature on the the bark is greater with trunk wraps.They also hold moisture, leading to fungal problems.
Please cite this research; was it done with burlap?.

Periodic (not annual) clipping back works well for many trees in many places, probably not the street though. And NC we are talking about an hour's climbing time; no great financial burden. if you get $5-600 for that you are doing well.

Dave Yes vines can obscure trees from inspection, that is a factor but not a dealbreaker. Arborists can deal with woody plants in many ways; vegetation managers just know one way. :chainsaw:

Glad the client agreed to your plan; we'll see how well she likes dead crap falling on the sidewalk 24/7/365. You might be stripping it all later on after all.

Personally, I would have just taken the vine off - without the spikes though!

This summer I did ivy removal on massive big leaf maples for five days in a row, it sucked. At times you would be on the main stem 10-15 feet from the nearest branch so you have no foot hold. Even with a high T.I.P your still so sucked into the stem it's extremely difficult to get any work done. We tried everything, foot loops ,re-directs multiple tie in points.Even doing this you use to much energy bracing. The client was adamant that we removed all the ivy so it put you in alot of tricky situations. If you have lots of experience with this terriable task i'd like to hear your advice.

Periodic (not annual) clipping back works well for many trees in many places, probably not the street though. And NC we are talking about an hour's climbing time; no great financial burden. if you get $5-600 for that you are doing well.

Dave Yes vines can obscure trees from inspection, that is a factor but not a dealbreaker. Arborists can deal with woody plants in many ways; vegetation managers just know one way. :chainsaw:

Glad the client agreed to your plan; we'll see how well she likes dead crap falling on the sidewalk 24/7/365. You might be stripping it all later on after all.

-Sharon J. Lilly,Arborists Certification Study Guide,International Society of Arboriculture It uses the term "tree wraps" I would think that would include burlap.

-Sharon J. Lilly,Arborists Certification Study Guide,International Society of Arboriculture It uses the term "tree wraps" I would think that would include burlap.

I'm away from my books now (and on my cell phone), but are you sure they weren't talking about wrapping the trunks on newly planted thin barked trees, to prevent frost cracks?

Not exactly the same thing as what we're talking about here...I don't think anyways.

the study guide is pretty general I don't think it covers tree that have been incased with vines for 10 years.

I'm away from my books now (and on my cell phone), but are you sure they weren't talking about wrapping the trunks on newly planted thin barked trees, to prevent frost cracks?

Not exactly the same thing as what we're talking about here...I don't think anyways.

It was specfically talking about sunscald on transplanted trees. A tree dosen't go through much more strees then when trasplanted so I think it applies. I agree with you NCtree the guide is general but other arborist around here have told me the same thing. We have pulled ivy from trees that have been engulfed in ivy for ten-15 years with no ill effect. It's cool sight to see a ivy trelis turn into a tree when your done.

This is the tarpaper wrap, it is to protect against sunscald and mechanical damage. But it does cause problems if left on for long periods. Burlap lets the air through, I've used it against catapillars, and you can grow turf though it. It acts more as a lathhouse does in a garden.

Just cutting the vine and letting it die back would have an advantage, but it does have to come off sometime.

This is the tarpaper wrap, it is to protect against sunscald and mechanical damage. But it does cause problems if left on for long periods. Burlap lets the air through, I've used it against catapillars, and you can grow turf though it. It acts more as a lathhouse does in a garden.

Just cutting the vine and letting it die back would have an advantage, but it does have to come off sometime.

Yeah, I couldn't remember why they wrapped em like that. At first I typed sunscald

I agree the burlap in the crown should breath pretty well.

It is really not all that dramatic Guy.

I did my own (along with many many more) in my current house when I moved in 8 years ago on a giant Pin oak and it was easily manageable on a weekly basis, sometimes monthly basis over 2 years plus after the leaves died.. Once down to the big stuff it can be pulled off easily with a pole saw.

As I recall (not having done ANY review), those comments were rather specific to darkly colored tree wrap. I also recall that white or brightly reflective tree wraps that were loosely attached were preferred.

The problem with the tree wraps is mostly during winter, when the winter sun warms the darker colored tree wrap (or just plain bark, too). During very cold weather, the warming of the sun causes sublimation (the water goes straight from frozen into the air) and subsequent death of the cambium, generally on the SW side of the tree. Obviously, a similar problem is created in drought conditions for recently transplanted trees during the summer. The insulating effect of tight and dark tree wrap materials make the problem worse, rather than affording protection, as intended.

I suppose that the drought & heat related issues become more important as you begin to consider warmer climates than the midwest USA.

A loose reflective wrap does give protection, since it reflects heat and still allows cooling air movement next to the bark.

The only good vine(on a tree) is a dead vine(on a tree). I wish we had a smilie that looked like Clint Eastwood. You know, spaghetti western Clint with the poncho and cheap ciger. But with a Zubat in one hand and a Stihl tool in the other. :)

It's all over now but I deal with vines the self same way. Remove a foor clear around the trunk. Come back in 12 months and remove the debris. It has far less affect on the bark when you remove it. I have removed the same ivy (English Ivy?) from several cocos palms and it was stuck on so hard parts of the exterior (not really bark) peeled off with it.

As to the mess a dying vine would create.... It is on a London Plane tree..... It doesnt get much messier than that.....

Best i could find

bandito-th.jpg

images

http://images.google.com/images?hl=...window=1&q=cowboy+smiley&sa=N&start=0&ndsp=18

Latest posts

Back