need some opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Rope, do you use that stuff often? How does it work in such close proximity with other tree roots? It is listed as mobile in the soil.

The AI Triclopyr is some pretty nasty stuff.

Dave

Hey Rope, do you use that stuff often? How does it work in such close proximity with other tree roots? It is listed as mobile in the soil.

Dave

Is there literally a "list" such as that. Wonder how Immidacloprid fares on the list?

THe deed is done

So I went over and killed them dam vines. I used a 192t and a pry bar. It took some careful cutting to make sure I didn't injure the tree. I cut them in sections and peeled them off with pry bar. The vines took a layer of bark off but did go into the inner bark or cambium. I have to admit I was a little worried at first but it wasn't that bad. It took about and hour to do. I'm planning on going back Monday with my crew to trim the tree and inspect it for hazards. We will see how she does, time will tell.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

So I went over and killed them dam vines. I used a 192t and a pry bar. It took some careful cutting to make sure I didn't injure the tree. I cut them in sections and peeled them off with pry bar. The vines took a layer of bark off but did go into the inner bark or cambium. I have to admit I was a little worried at first but it wasn't that bad. It took about and hour to do.

Based on doing that one section, how long would it take you to do the whole tree you think?

probably be a good idea to cut more sections out while you're up there,in case some of its hit the cambium anywhere and still drinking.

Last edited:
Based on doing that one section, how long would it take you to do the whole tree you think?

probably be a good idea to cut more sections out while you're up there,in case some of its hit the cambium anywhere and still drinking.

I would say by myself a day and a half. I guess before I did it that it would cost the HO $1000 to $1500 T/M.

Dave

I sprayed prolly near 600 gallons of it no telling how much tordon 101 Which is more traveling.
Garlon used as basal treatment is a good solution to troublesome plants. It is more prone to drift burning foliage than ground travel. Now spike is the real #### lol.

Last edited:
TV, there may be a list with all the different pesticides in one reference but I haven't found it yet. We google the AI but go to several sites to get the whole story. Not all sites will be reporting on the same formulation.

Dave

TV, there may be a list with all the different pesticides in one reference but I haven't found it yet. We google the AI but go to several sites to get the whole story. Not all sites will be reporting on the same formulation.

Dave

thanks Dave

NC,good job. Did anyone else notice the trunk deformations that appear to be from constriction not dissimilar to SGR's.

Dave

Do you think the vines are sucking juice from the tree any where up in the tree?

Do you think the vines are sucking juice from the tree any where up in the tree?

Not parasitic. Really of no consequence until they cover foliage, but they do hide faults. There are actually some beneficial aspects in that they do retain moisture on the ground like mulch and they keep mowers and other injurious machines away.

I may not an Uber-Arb, but...

I'm sorry, but I say that tree is dying to shake off that skanky ass vine... I'll bet it wouldn't mind a little suntan this spring either.

Those vines are like a thousand crossovers strangling the poor thing.

I think you guys are barely even helping it with this milktoast approach.

Dave

Try this one: http://www.cdms.net/LabelsMsds/LMDefault.aspx

What CDMS does not list, you probably don't need to know about. It is a little tricky to learn how to use, though.

I'm sorry, but I say that tree is dying to shake off that skanky ass vine... I'll bet it wouldn't mind a little suntan this spring either.

Those vines are like a thousand crossovers strangling the poor thing.

I think you guys are barely even helping it with this milktoast approach.

Thanks for the lead pdqdl.

You know I have worked on estates over the years and part of the cultivated beauty of many of them has been the tree beds with manicured English ivy running up to the branch forks. It has only recently come into vogue to have disdain for this plant. Trees have been living for centuries in this symbiosis and companies like the one below ....just trying to make a buck off of it.

http://www.blackcativy.com/id12.html

start at the bottom

I would start at the bottom, since the bark is very smooth on this species, cut the main sections of vine and start pulling, working your way up. It should come off pretty easy. But it will take some time! Smile and have fun!

I think removing that vine would have a similar effect to that of a good Lyons tailing.

Once the tree responds (probably pretty quickly) and sends up tons of sprouts, no more worrying about sunscald.

After that its just selective thinning and maintenance.

Much better than that wretched vine strangling it.

Back