need some opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to see a picture of evidence of an English Ivy vine strangling (girdling) a tree. I have never seen it and as a matter of fact, MDS, I have seen Silver maples that I am fairly sure from their structure, they would have busted up withOUT the vine on it. Kinda like an exoskeleton.

I am not disagreeing in any way shape or form that this vine is a negative but in some cases it is very pretty in a circular bed below the tree and if full and fluffy up to the first limbs I will not encourage the ho to remove it as....no harm...no foul.

I would like to see a picture of evidence of an English Ivy vine strangling (girdling) a tree. I have never seen it and as a matter of fact, MDS, I have seen Silver maples that I am fairly sure from their structure, they would have busted up withOUT the vine on it. Kinda like an exoskeleton.

I am not disagreeing in any way shape or form that this vine is a negative but in some cases it is very pretty in a circular bed below the tree and if full and fluffy up to the first limbs I will not encourage the ho to remove it as....no harm...no foul.

Here with all the humidity it becomes a problem due to remaining damp and setting stage for collar rot. I have left it alone as long as it is not too thick. I have seen trees do alright and seen them die with vines so like everything else in our occupation site analysis needs careful examination.

I agree with you TV a little frilly vine is one thing - but NC's little treat there reminded me of that alien from the movie Predator for some reason. Lol

We get tons of mistletoe in the oaks here... starting to see it in bradford pears alot as well now.

No. SGR's= surface girdling roots.

Dave
girdling the surface of what? :confused:

sgr = stem-girdling root, and those burls do not seem related to sgr's. Looks like a pretty normal flare, but worth a check as always.

o and dave mistletoe parasitizes by stealing water and sap.

Vines are associates, seldom parasites by any definition.

girdling the surface of what? :confused: sgr = stem-girdling root
They weren't underground. :) But yeah, oops.

and those burls do not seem related to sgr's. Looks like a pretty normal flare, but worth a check as always.
If you look closely at the "burls" (?) you will see they are the same shape and size of the areas where the vine was NOT growing. Planetrees express themselves much more quickly than other species. So they are a good study example for this effect.

Though they may not be parasites they can cause harm. Blanket statements on vines works no better than blanket statements elsewhere in our profession. Like TreeVet, I have seen stunning examples of vine as a ground cover in beautiful estates. The effects in those situations is quite different than what an encroaching ivy environment can do if left to its own devices without management.

I have read that ivy can live 400 years and have stems in excess of 12" in diameter. I have not seen that extreme but I have sen 6" dia ivy and the resulting consequences that type of power can generate.

Dave

Last edited:
I could look it up but how do they do this Guy?

If you are gone for a while I will research it and report back.

I've a general understanding of the modality, but needed to look it up for a technical description.

The following are some general properties of parasitic plants.

1. Nutrients and water are transported via a physiological bridge, called the haustorium.
2. A parasite connects its vascular system (at least one of the tissues) to that of the host plant.
3. The parasite may totally discard its own photosynthesis.
4. Parasites may be mostly exposed at the surface of the host (epiparasite) or mostly hidden within the host organ (endoparasite). The endoparasitic portion is composed of thread-like haustoria permeating the host tissue with a sinker, a single structure that becomes embedded in the host tissue.

Parasites become established via germination. Seeds land on the host tissue, for stem parasites especially in bird droppings, and germinate after reading a chemical stimulus from the host. A modified lateral root becomes an haustorium; this root is chemotrophic, i.e., responding to a chemical gradient, and contacts the host epidermis. The root then attaches by pushing against the plant and forming a disc, called a hapteron, and secretes a polysaccharide adhesive. The root tip then mechanically penetrates the host, apparently without enzymatic digestion, and establishes a vascular connection by attaching vessels and positioning phloem next to leaky host phloem.

Mistletoes were formerly alleged to receive no host carbohydrates, but substantial heterotropic carbon gain has been measured in mistletoes, even without phloem connections. Direct xylem-to-xylem continuity between host and parasite is not easy to demonstrate. Mistletoes often exhibit high transpiration rates during the day, through stomates and cracks in the epidermis. Losing substantial water from the leaves and stems of the parasite results in a steep water potential gradient, favorable to drawing water into the mistletoe plant. Nitrogen is supplied to the parasite in the xylem stream, and the high transpiration rates, hence, high water demands appear instead to represent a nitrogen-gathering mechanism for the mistletoe.

Typical thick, fleshy root parasites generally lack any adaptations to restrict water loss from their achlorophyllous stems and leaves, because they tend to lack the waxy coating, cuticle.

Dodder and mistletoes are serious problems for plants. Dodder is weedy and can cover woody plants and damage certain economically important crop plants. Mistletoe can become so abundant on a tree that most of the foliage is of the parasite not the host. In general, experts generally state that parasitic plants rarely, perhaps never, kill the host plant, so that the host and parasite live unhappily together is some balance.

http://www.botgard.ucla.edu/html/botanytextbooks/lifeforms/parasiticplants/generalproperties.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeseer View Post
Blanket statements on vines works no better than blanket statements elsewhere in our profession.

I do not think they are parasitic in the definitive sense, but I have seen them become opportunistic around wounds and defects. I'm not sure if they do anything to inhibit wound closure or not.

Last edited:
i think it was honeysuckle...
attachment.php

Looks kinda like bittersweet

http://images.google.com/images?q=bittersweet strangle

NC,good job. Did anyone else notice the trunk deformations that appear to be from constriction not dissimilar to SGR's.

Dave

I did notice when I was removing the vine, everywhere their is an open area where no vine was growing I found large round protrusions. I would say that the trunk was be constricted from the vines.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
The white stuff you see on the trunk in picture #2 and #4 is some sort of fungus growing under the larger thicker vines. All of it was isolated to the north side of the trunk where the vines were more dense.

Back