need some opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might add that the lady is really fond on keeping this tree. I actually worked on this property 5 years ago when I worked for my last boss. He told the HO that the vines were OK and he's a certified arborist. I think he didn't want to get involve in the removal of vines.

So if she goes for somewhere around a G for the de-vine I think it would be worth doing the job. I also think the ivy comes off pretty well without to much bark damage but its still going to be a mess.
I don't beleive the ivy is hurting the tree that bad. One thing to consider is the bark will be getting sun it is not used to getting.

Same thing here, it's not as bad as you think. However you have no central leader. Sorry ISA your going to have to spike it. Start from the top and try to spike the ivy more then the tree on your way down. Ivy is a well deserved break for our bandit 250xp it loves it.If had to use a whipper chipper i would bring a dump truck.

Its Ok, stand back, we don't need the spikes... at all.

So if she goes for somewhere around a G for the de-vine I think it would be worth doing the job. I also think the ivy comes off pretty well without to much bark damage but its still going to be a mess.
I don't beleive the ivy is hurting the tree that bad. One thing to consider is the bark will be getting sun it is not used to getting.

I think it is adding alot of extra weight to the top and will eventually choke the canopy out. You do have a good point about the bark being exsposed to new sun light.

Yeah on thin barked trees like that it might be a problem opening it up to sunlight. Maybe do some work to clear out some of the top and cut it at the bottom so it dies for now then do some work in the future.

Yeah on thin barked trees like that it might be a problem opening it up to sunlight. Maybe do some work to clear out some of the top and cut it at the bottom so it dies for now then do some work in the future.

Thats the best approach to ivy. If it's been on the tree for long enough the bark can be kind of weak and break off.Let it die and then kind of shave it off with your handsaw.

Its Ok, stand back, we don't need the spikes... at all.

You'll never know just from looking at a picture.I'm not saying start with spurs but when your doing ivy removal it may be needed. If you have a good TIP great don't use them. That tree is as good as dead in it's current state. Even if there is a little mechanical damage its better off then its current state.

Cut sections out of the bottom vines and save the ho some bucks. Be careful when cutting not to injure the bark on the tree. It will take 2 full seasons for the smaller vines to fall off after all the leaves fall off and a little into the third season for the bigger stuff. Tell them you will charge a nominal fee to keep the debris off their yard. Tell them the bark will likely be injured in the process if you tear and cut it all off. That job is Chinese water torture. If someone else gets the job, pull up a lawn chair next door and enjoy watching the fiasco.

Cut sections out of the bottom vines and save the ho some bucks. Be careful when cutting not to injure the bark on the tree. It will take 2 full seasons for the smaller vines to fall off after all the leaves fall off and a little into the third season for the bigger stuff. Tell them you will charge a nominal fee to keep the debris off their yard. Tell them the bark will likely be injured in the process if you tear and cut it all off. That job is Chinese water torture. If someone else gets the job, pull up a lawn chair next door and enjoy watching the fiasco.

I'm thinking that might be the best choice with all things considered. I have a feeling the HO isn't going to want tp pay a grand to have the vines ripped off.

I'm thinking that might be the best choice with all things considered. I have a feeling the HO isn't going to want tp pay a grand to have the vines ripped off.

I'd charge at least a couple hun to carefully section out the vines and clean up by yourself.

1. Quote them a cheap price to cut the stumps and return in the spring to treat the re-growth.

2. Quote them a price to clear the vines up to where the branches start to fork out (or any other point you choose).

3. Then give them a quote to clean the whole tree.

After they recover from the #3 sticker shock, they will think the first option is too cheap, and the reasonable cleanup effort will sound about right.

I have some experience with vine removal you should be ok if you take it methodically and dont get frustrated. lol good luck with that! I usually cut the bases of the vines at the base with my sugoui all the way around the tree, then work my way up in 10 to 15 ft increments. Alot of up down up down but this method works best for me.

" I went and looked at it today realizing that the vine problem is the most significant problem. "

why? your old boss may have seen it was not shading a lot of tree leaves so it was not a problem. [Is he cool with you taking on that account? :chainsaw:

"Do you think I could use a small top handle chainsaw on the larger lower vines if i'm careful?"

Yes, but first consider working from the top down. Why not just clip it back to the red lines in the attached and return periodically?

And if anyone thinks spikes are needed to climb this easy peasy tree, or that it is in poor condition, please explain; I do not understand.

" I went and looked at it today realizing that the vine problem is the most significant problem. "

why? your old boss may have seen it was not shading a lot of tree leaves so it was not a problem. [Is he cool with you taking on that account? :chainsaw:

"Do you think I could use a small top handle chainsaw on the larger lower vines if i'm careful?"

Yes, but first consider working from the top down. Why not just clip it back to the red lines in the attached and return periodically?

And if anyone thinks spikes are needed to climb this easy peasy tree, or that it is in poor condition, please explain; I do not understand.

I think looking at the tree's vine problem being that it was topped that those vines could be a weight issue. Also I think that the vines have already taken out lower branches by choking them out. I think that if left alone the vines will be a signicant factor in the trees death.

I don't want to get on an ex-boss bashing thing here but we have a little bit of bad blood. He is now my competition so yes of course if one of his customers calls me I sure as hell am going to try to take him. I can drive down the road from my house and take a picture of one of his master pieces that would make you go:jawdrop: He's certifiied and he has topped trees like two beautiful 60yr old red oaks.

I think treevet had the best idea of severing the vines at the trunk and removing a section, letting the rest die and clean up later as they fall off the tree. I think this will be the best choice to insure that no damage is done to the bark from either peeling it off or acsesive sun light getting to the trunk. I'm concern that taking all the vines off at one time will cause injury to the bark.

If the customer wants to pay the money to have me remove all the vines I will but she will have to be made aware of my concerns with doing this. I think after I present alll the options she will choose the cheapest safest option.

I think looking at the tree's vine problem being that it was topped that those vines could be a weight issue. Also I think that the vines have already taken out lower branches by choking them out. I think that if left alone the vines will be a signicant factor in the trees death.

:agree2:

So the question is, what to do about it--periodically clip the vines back to where they are not a weight or a shade problem, or declare war. The client obviously does not mind the vines on the trunk--why should she spend money to remove a non-problem?

She may like the arborist approach of managing woody plants, vs. vegetation management that runs up the bill and shocks the tree for no good reason.

Here's the suggested pruning approach.

And sure, you can post pics of topped red oaks, IF you include the history, like storm damage.

:agree2:

So the question is, what to do about it--periodically clip the vines back to where they are not a weight or a shade problem, or declare war. The client obviously does not mind the vines on the trunk--why should she spend money to remove a non-problem?

She may like the arborist approach of managing woody plants, vs. vegetation management that runs up the bill and shocks the tree for no good reason.

Here's the suggested pruning approach.

And sure, you can post pics of topped red oaks, IF you include the history, like storm damage.

Thats a good point, if she wants to go that route I will certainly do it for her. I think it will cost her more money in the long run though if I have to come back to clip the vines back. I'm thinking five to six hundred buck a pop can add up over the years.

Do you think that severing the trunk vines and letting them die and fall off the tree slowly will shock the tree that much? After the leaves fall off, the woody stems of the vines will be left. I think this will expose the bark more slowly to sun light. The trunk is thick with vines so I could be wrong in my theory and no matter when the trunk vines are removed it will shock the tree.
What do you think?

I'm not going to get into the topped red oaks. All i can say is they were very healthy with no prior history of storm damage. My buddy worked with me there who is certified and refused to do it, so the boss brought in some crazy dude who hacked the crap out of them.

Sorry, Guy, I think this is really bad advice. Aside from the fact what you are recommending will grow back within a year, creating an unnecessary financial burden on the homeowner, I think this is looking at the situation from one side only.

Analyzing the situation, the tree is in a busy neighborhood, over a side walk and street, close proximity to a house. Putting aside the debate of whether ivy can damage a tree or not, there is no debate on that ivy inhibits inspection of branch attachment, unions and resulting structural integrity.

So from a purely practical standpoint it prevents the HO and/or arborist from recognizing and possibly mitigating a problem.

On a purely personal note, I think the ivy looks awful in this particular location. In a more naturalized setting, possibly. But if the homeowner likes the look of ivy, she has a brick house...let it grow there, or build an arbor. When I look at a beautiful tree, I want to be able to see it.

I repeat, this is just a personal quirk of mine, probably stems from being an arborist.

Dave

Sorry, Guy, I think this is really bad advice. Aside from the fact what you are recommending will grow back within a year, creating an unnecessary financial burden on the homeowner, I think this is looking at the situation from one side only.

Analyzing the situation, the tree is in a busy neighborhood, over a side walk and street, close proximity to a house. Putting aside the debate of whether ivy can damage a tree or not, there is no debate on that ivy inhibits inspection of branch attachment, unions and resulting structural integrity.

So from a purely practical standpoint it prevents the HO and/or arborist from recognizing and possibly mitigating a problem

On a purely personal note, I think the ivy looks awful in this particular location. In a more naturalized setting, possibly. But if the homeowner likes the look of ivy, she has a brick house...let it grow there, or build an arbor. When I look at a beautiful tree, I want to be able to see it.

I repeat, this is just a personal quirk of mine, probably stems from being an arborist.

Dave

Another very good point to bring to the customers attention.

My biggest worry is am I doing more harm to the tree by removing all the vines?

If not then what is the safest way to do this without causing harm?

If so then I should clearly remove some of the vine in the upper canopy so I can inspect the tree for structural hazards.

It is a concern, NC. Here again, looking at this particular situation, it is in a location with hardscape, buildings and such where environmental stresses could be exaggerated. It is like so many things with trees, so much better to prevent a problem than to try to fix it after it happens.

Plane trees are tough and odds are it would be fine. But there is that chance. This is something you will have to analyze because you are the one on site. Approach it with your client, give her the options and possible consequences.

With this thought, cutting the vines and letting them die in the tree will have the staged effect, be less costly but may create a fairly constant litter problem over a longer period of time that may or may not be acceptable to the client. Not to mention the neighborhood.

Dave

Back