need some opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it is like the vine girdling pictures, the tree puts on more wood where it can. You may see some rebound in the areas where the vine is removed, we see this in basal flairs and First Order Roots that are released.

The white stuff you see on the trunk in picture #2 and #4 is some sort of fungus growing under the larger thicker vines. All of it was isolated to the north side of the trunk where the vines were more dense.

That fungus is only on the dead bark, not a pathogen or a sign of a problem.

Vines are associates, seldom parasites by any definition.

"Though they may not be parasites they can cause harm. Blanket statements on vines works no better than blanket statements elsewhere in our profession."

Vines are always associates; that blanket statement always works, in any profession. And yes, the growths are burls, and do not appear to be defects.

Twining vines like bittersweet and honeysuckle always constrict their tree-prop(there's another blanket statement); ivy and other creepiing vines much less.

By stating that vines are associates, non parasitic, implies they are A-Ok.

Is that what you meant?

Certainly this is the controversy I was referring to. Many people, myself included, do not believe English Ivy to be harmless. It can indeed dominate the landscape and smaller trees to their detriment.

It does not require constriction to deform a trunk or limb. It requires obstruction. You can see this in many forms in many instances. I can clearly see that the shape of the bulges directly correlates with where the vines were not obstructing growth.

Dave

If they are native to the local environment then they are OK. There are natural conflicts between native species, it is not just introduced species. Poison ivy is an associate in many ecosystems, and can strangle trees.

How's this for a blanket statement: Kudzu blankets the landscape.

By stating that vines are associates, non parasitic, implies they are A-Ok.

Is that what you meant?

Certainly this is the controversy I was referring to. Many people, myself included, do not believe English Ivy to be harmless. It can indeed dominate the landscape and smaller trees to their detriment.

It does not require constriction to deform a trunk or limb. It requires obstruction. You can see this in many forms in many instances. I can clearly see that the shape of the bulges directly correlates with where the vines were not obstructing growth.

Dave

I think the term you are looking for here D Mc is "invasive".

Sycamores often have "burls" on large old stems like this and we are very familiar with the interaction with English ivy and I think it unlikely it caused any perceived misgrowth or canker if that is what you are assuming.

Again I think it has become in vogue by greenies (not referring to you) to label E. ivy a killer and wage witch hunts against it.

Again I think it has become in vogue by greenies (not referring to you) to label E. ivy a killer and wage witch hunts against it.

Depends on where you are, it is over growing trees out in the PNW. It's not bad here, but the Boston ivy, wild grape and bittersweet are sure becoming problems.

Depends on where you are, it is over growing trees out in the PNW. It's not bad here, but the Boston ivy, wild grape and bittersweet are sure becoming problems.

No I am not saying E. ivy is not a problem but rather that it is not the killer of every tree it is on as described by some. It is definitely an invasive here and elsewhere that needs to be contained. We got tons of other vines here as well.

It's been 2 years since I devine this London Plane somewhat, the customer hasn't called me back to finish it. The upper canopy has been totally devine but the lower half still has dead vines. After I spent 6 hours devining the customer told me that she missed the vines go figure. I was just by there today so I snapped a few pics. The tree is doing fine no big changes since other than no vines.

View attachment 242717View attachment 242718View attachment 242719

After I spent 6 hours devining the customer told me that she missed the vines go figure.

Easy enough to figure out; next time maybe just pull back the SHADE-MAKING, HARMFUL tops of the vines so they hang down all pendulous like. :msp_biggrin:

It's been 2 years since I devine this London Plane somewhat, the customer hasn't called me back to finish it. The upper canopy has been totally devine but the lower half still has dead vines. After I spent 6 hours devining the customer told me that she missed the vines go figure. I was just by there today so I snapped a few pics. The tree is doing fine no big changes since other than no vines.

View attachment 242717View attachment 242718View attachment 242719

Moreso she missed the money she paid you and didn't expect so many worms to come out of the can. It looks cool like that.

Back