need your opinion on piston and cylinder wall, if i need to replace them

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMHO, If you can catch your finger nail in that score line, in the compression area of cylinder, cylinder is toast.

Last edited:
Bought a used stihl 026 and taking it apart to clean and see what needs to be fixed.

Yesterday was able to take the piston out as I wanted to see if i need to change it. When to a local dealer and he looked at the piston thou exhaust and said it's ok. But i still wanted to take the piston out to see everything in close details.

Would like to know your opinion if I need to change it or not as I do not know.

Thanks.
FRIED DUDE. REPLACE IT! Adjust carb to max rpm when you get it done too and make sure tank is clean with right mix.

FRIED DUDE. REPLACE IT! Adjust carb to max rpm when you get it done too and make sure tank is clean with right mix.

Let me clarify that. Adjust carburetor to max recommended RPM for that model saw. If you adjust to max rpm possible, you will have a new P&C that looks exactly like what you just dropped in the trash in very short order. In fact, to play it safe, I would err a couple hundred under max recommended. Might run a little rich, but better a little rich than a little lean.

Ian

Last edited:
Getting a new piston wasn't a problem but cylinder :censored:

I have two Stihls that were just like that. My 024 has looked like that for years. A flat file takes the high spots off the piston. +1 on the muriatic acid. New rings, and it'll run until you know weather you want to rebuild it or not (or until it doesn't owe you anything and you have nothing to lose). 026 are worth big bucks for some reason. Might be worth new stuff but I would clean it up and get it running like it is first.

Let me clarify that. Adjust carburetor to max recommended RPM for that model saw. If you adjust to max rpm possible, you will have a new P&C that looks exactly like what you just dropped in the trash in very short order. In fact, to play it safe, I would err a couple hundred under max recommended. Might run a little rich, but better a little rich than a little lean.

Ian

Absolutely correct Ian. Thanks for clarifiying that one! My dealer actually gave me a chart with max rpm speeds for ALL Huskys that I'll work on. Very nice.

..drop sum acid on it................

Use a Q-tip with Muratic acid to remove any aluminum transfered from the piston. Be careful not to get it on any other bare aluminum. The cylinder is NiSi coated so it will remove the aluminum transfered from the piston and leave a clean cylinder wall.

Then either buy a 320-grit hone, or use 320 wet/dry sandpaper and sand the cylinder. Idealy, you don't want to be able to catch a fingernail on any scratches.

Brad, would you elaborate a bit on this procedure? I could see this ending rather badly, like when I reverse engineered my boss's Excel spreadsheet, lol:clap: :chainsaw:

That he could fix, but..............

Seriously, do you just rub the acid soaked Q-tip on there, let it soak, or what? Knuckleheads need step-by step when there are dangerous chemicals that run the risk of damaging more than just a Mahle 028 Super cylinder...:)

Degrease the cylinder first with 4:1 diluted Purple cleaner, then wash with a lot of water. Dry... then q-tip on the acid.. let it fizz the aluminum away... wipe often with a q-tip and maybe a little help from scotch-brite. Keep acid out of the ports. Neutralize the acids with purple cleaner, and wash in water again and again...

Degrease the cylinder first with 4:1 diluted Purple cleaner, then wash with a lot of water. Dry... then q-tip on the acid.. let it fizz the aluminum away... wipe often with a q-tip and maybe a little help from scotch-brite. Keep acid out of the ports. Neutralize the acids with purple cleaner, and wash in water again and again...

Thanks, Doc. I'll be tryin' that one tonight, I think. Hope the bore is good. I will be postin' a pic of a piston that looks very much like someone thought that "Mix" means to shake the can of raw gas before you pour it in the saw.....:bang:

Aww, I didn't make it to the store to get the muriatic today. Had a church commitment, and I was running late. Just got home. Will do it tomorrow. I'll go get it ready with purple cleaner tonight, though. Will post pics. I think the jug is OK. Man the piston kit is pricey at the dealer..........he cuts me a bit of a break on stuff, but no way on that one. Meteor it is, unless the jug is too scuffed, then its Tecomech.

That is a cool construction, with the dome piston. I bet it is high compression that way. Also the saw has four AV mounts, and the clutch cover is cool. Probably keeps things a lot cleaner.......

So.....it's night out your way ?????:monkey: :monkey:

Yup.

Yeah. How'd it go? Andy described it well.

Well, I'm not sure. Is the green stuff on the Q-Tip® aluminum chloride, or Nikasil chloride? I did remove a good deal of aluminum, but it did take the shine off the coating. It is hard to know when to stop. Here are sum pics, not sure how well they will show what needs to be shown....

attachment.php

Look how new the rings were. This saw was a victim of straight gas child abuse!!!! I have contacted SPS, Saw Protective Services........

attachment.php

After treatment......

attachment.php

attachment.php

Opinions, gentlemen?

It's aluminum, but if you've scratched though the nikersil, then it will make green forever. I don't worry about the tiny scraps of AL transfer - the hone will take care of that.

Make sure you neutralise the acid - don't leave if on overnight...

It's aluminum, but if you've scratched though the nikersil, then it will make green forever. I don't worry about the tiny scraps of AL transfer - the hone will take care of that.

Make sure you neutralise the acid - don't leave if on overnight...

Lotsa SuperClean already. If the nikersil is penetrated, isn't the bore junk? Gosh I hope its not scratched through........

Depends on where.... Above the exhaust port - yep... Below.. depends, but you can get away with a lot of damage...

Hey andy I'm doing the same thing to my 5100s cylinder. I have a TINY scratch in the cylinder. Its in between the exhaust port and the top of the head about 1/4 inch long :bang: . I can feel it gently rubbing over it with a jewelers screw driver, but not my finger nail. Would this be a problem?:bang:

Latest posts

Back