Neighbor Complaining??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cambium

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Neighbor wild kid was making noise at 6:45am. I told the kid to keep it down.. Mother comes out like an arangatang yelling and screaming saying I have an illegal business going on here wth the firewood.

I told her I burn wood for heat, they do too! She said she has pictures of the trucks in my driveway...I said thats the wood I use for heat...

She couldnt be civil. What a shame.

Last edited:
It sounds like you are off to a bad start in your firewood business. She will probably be able to shut you down.
http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=138397

Kind'a funny how people are upset over the little guy who burns or sells firewood. Not to worry, soon the government will have everyone heating their homes with oil and the unemployment will drop because everyone will have a job washing ducks.

Maybe you caught your neighbor on a bad day. Don’t be adding more fuel to the fire. (No pun intended)

Ah, the old neighborhood problem rears its ugly head.I hate to tell you this, but in short you may be heading into problems that you never thought possible.There really is nothing worse than an ongoing battle with a neighbor, makes you want to saddle up and move on but you hate to give them the satisfaction.
If I were you,before problems get out of hand, check into your local ordinances.Noise pollution,working hour restrictions,business out of your home,etc.Forget asking the local cops, most know the laws of the area that they are in,but nothing is worse than spending countless hours and dollars in your new business then get shut down by a little known and enforceable law.

Go down to your local city or county courthouse and ask for some help.Have them show you in writing what the restrictions in your area are,and dont take no for an answer.It has been my experience that most folks are understanding and are willing to look the other way if you are running a business out of your home as long as you are reasonable and are willing to maybe hand out a freebee once in awhile.

Our craft store started years ago out of our home,grew into a small shop behind our home, and all of our business shipped via UPS.Freight trucks stopped and plugged up the narrow residential street we lived on, and it was plain as day that at times I made a nuisance to our neighbors.I then distributed a flyer to everyone on our street a month before Christmas that I was offering free shipping for anyone that wanted to send gifts to out of town relatives.Sure, it cost me almost five hundred bucks,but the scowls at the freight truck turned into freindly waves and I had zero complaints after that.When we moved from that little neighborhood a lot of neighbors helped to pitch in and load the inventory,and not because they were glad to see me gone.They really seemed sad to see us go.We also from time to time would leave baskets of candles and fragrances on the doorsteps of our neighbors as a continuous sign of good will.
Since your neighbor burns wood, pick a time when she is out in the yard and looks to be in a good mood.Maybe a truck load of wood will sweeten the old gal up,it never hurts to try.

I can feel your pain buddy, I really can.I have been involved in a three year battle with one of my neighors now that never ceases to raise my blood pressure,yet I have done everything I can to dampen the old guy.Thankfully, he has a problem with everyone in our area so I really dont lose a lot of sleep on the issue.
Do what you can to difuse the situation,check into the laws in case you need some backup,and do your best to work with your neighbors.After all,if you cant have peace in your own home,where can you?

IIRC

You're in Fairfield County, the promised land of Yuppie wannabes. From speaking with people from the area it appears to be a great place to be from.

In short, if the neighbor starts filling complaints with the city zoning board and the State OPM, you'll be circling the bowl in no time. Lawyer fees and fines, not to mention your time loss will add up in a hurry. Not saying it's right, just the reality of the situation.

Happy I live in NE CT, the wasteland of unwashed, worthless, redneck trash. Unfortunately the burbs are pushing farther out this way, the only thing that seems to be slowing down the invasion is there's no place to take Tiffy and Chad out for a proper Sunday Brunch.

Good Luck

Take Care

I've been on both sides of the neighbor issue. Be considerate with the hours you are running the saw/splitter. Maybe she is being unreasonable, maybe not. If you tick her off she might be more than a PIA. She might make life so miserable to you that you shut the business down.

From someone that had to listen to a YZ450 bike for hours a day just yards away. Back when my kids were little, before I moved to no neighbors within sight or sound.

There are lots of parents who are great neighbors...until you criticize their little angels who can do no wrong.

In my experience, it's dangerous territory with some folk. It's especially touchy with those who know darn well that their kids are little snots but refuse to admit that they (the parents) are the problem.

Best of luck to you!

Whats funny is I'm the one trying to keep the peace around here. Her kids are more wild then animals. It all started when her kid was being a nuicence early in the morning. These people kept a dog outside in the rain and cold, the dog would CONSTANTLY bark and bark and bark.. they dont let their kids play with any other kid...my other neighbors think they are so weird... they light fireworks in middle of January....I wait to mow the lawn till after 9am. Im one of those be respectful to others and life will be better. I only use the splitter between 10am - 3pm even Sundays.

I'll check with the town but Im only selling 2-3 cords a month! WTF! I dont have a whole operation.

I dont have cranes, conveyor belts, I DONT EVEN OWN A PICK UP TRUCK!!

Whats there to shut down? I get logs delivered. I cut them. Then I split them for myself OR to give to family and friends... How can they prove Im selling it?? Dammit this sucks!

Just make sure they understand that complaints are a two way street. Hope her little precious doesn't enjoy a beer when they're not around. See how they'll like it having to go through getting the little brat back from child protective services for being such crappy parents.

There are lots of parents who are great neighbors...until you criticize their little angels who can do no wrong.

In my experience, it's dangerous territory with some folk. It's especially touchy with those who know darn well that their kids are little snots but refuse to admit that they (the parents) are the problem.

Best of luck to you!

Exactly!!! Kids aren't the problem...its the parents. ALWAYS! Thats like saying "stupid dog" NO..Its the Owner thats stupid for what the dog is doing.

And BINGO...they are snotty. Her mother lives in the nieghborhood and she yelled at me and my dog walking and sniffing her hedges. nasty people.

Whats funny is I'm the one trying to keep the peace around here. Her kids are more wild then animals. It all started when her kid was being a nuicence early in the morning. These people kept a dog outside in the rain and cold, the dog would CONSTANTLY bark and bark and bark.. they dont let their kids play with any other kid...my other neighbors think they are so weird... they light fireworks in middle of January....I wait to mow the lawn till after 9am. Im one of those be respectful to others and life will be better. I only use the splitter between 10am - 3pm even Sundays.

I'll check with the town but Im only selling 2-3 cords a month! WTF! I dont have a whole operation.

I dont have cranes, conveyor belts, I DONT EVEN OWN A PICK UP TRUCK!!

Whats there to shut down? I get logs delivered. I cut them. Then I split them for myself OR to give to family and friends... How can they prove Im selling it?? Dammit this sucks!

I woodn't worry about it.Don't put up a wood for sale sign and no one can prove your doing anything. If you live in a small town in certain cases the zoning laws aren't enforcable anyway.

I'd start taking pics of all the outlaw stuff her kids are doin and put them on a disc. Then when she trys pullin more BS inform her of the disc you have.

I've had a similar situation with my neighbor. Photos of him dumping motor oil in the ditch and some other great photos shut him up quick.

Don't put up a wood for sale sign and no one can prove your doing anything.

Another thread Cambium's been talking about getting a DBA and taking out a state tax permit.

That kind of blows the whole "it's only wood I use to heat my house" argument out of the water.

If you live in a small town in certain cases the zoning laws aren't enforcable anyway.

Zoning in Connecticut is well established. I don't think there are any towns left without it (two of the last three were near me in northeast Connecticut). It would be tough to find un-enforceable zoning provisions today.

Most of my town is zoned R-A -- Rural Agricultural. Minimum 2 acre lots, and the town's zoning regulations specifically include forestry as an agricultural activity. (As opposed to the state tax laws that specifically say it isn't :rolleyes: ) I'd be good to go here on that alone.

Our more densely zoned areas -- R-10 (1/4 acre) and R-30 (3/4 acre), which look like the neighborhoods Cambium posted pics of his house from but photos can be deceiving -- wouldn't allow it.

Those two zones are "home office" only, basically it can't look or generate traffic any different from normal residential use.

In RA, you can get a special permit for "home business" or "home enterprise" which include non-agricultural things like excavation contractors who want to store their equipment at home, etc.

Most of the towns up in this corner have similar rules, but as Swamp Yankee points out we're way more laid back then the opposite corner of the state. My town a couple years back rejected -- shot down in flames is a better description -- a handful of proposals including a "blight ordinance" and similar stuff to give the town stronger ordinances regulating how property was maintained and looked.

Last edited:
So a dump truck in my driveway once a week or every other week is considered more than residential use? I know landscapers who show up every week with their trucks. I don't have any trucks parked, sitting at my house. Like I said I don't own any equipment except the spliter and chainsaw.prove to me I'm conducting sales! And if you have videos or cameras of me I'm sure there is a law for that. Maybe it falls under stalking. Invasion of privacy and security.

My lot can't even store more than 15 cords at a time. Its tiny..

And luckily I did not describe the type of buisnesss whhen registering with state...I'll be shutting that accouunt down now...pointless....

Sounds to me like you need a fire to get out of hand and run the neighbors out.

I'll supply the gasoline...bring the lighter. Man I am dying for them to move but that is not happening at all...I'll be the one to move...already looking at places far far far from here...

She said something about her kids being good cause they go to Parochial school? Whatever.

.prove to me I'm conducting sales!

Quoting you in another thread,

In January I filed...they kept calling me to get some more info but I wasn't doing anything with any business...I just wanted to prepare for future...

They sent me a letter with my registration number and tax id number..

Do you honestly think the Code Enforcement Officer doesn't have access to the Department of Revenue Services databases?

It'll get thrown right back into your lap. Lots of wood, you have a tax registration number, looks like a duck, quacks like a duck. It's up to you to prove it's not a duck.

So a dump truck in my driveway once a week or every other week is considered more than residential use? I know landscapers who show up every week with their trucks. I don't have any trucks parked, sitting at my house. Like I said I don't own any equipment except the spliter and chainsaw.prove to me I'm conducting sales! And if you have videos or cameras of me I'm sure there is a law for that. Maybe it falls under stalking. Invasion of privacy and security.

My lot can't even store more than 15 cords at a time. Its tiny..

And luckily I did not describe the type of buisnesss whhen registering with state...I'll be shutting that accouunt down now...pointless....

I would not operate under that idea, in reality it doesnt take a lot for a government employee tasked with enforcing zoning laws to prove much.One picture from your neighbor of you hauling wood out of your place rather than in will be all they will need to slap you with a fine. If you are indeed playing outside the law on this one and you have not only neighbors that close but are willing to make phone calls to get you to quite what you are doing,its time to either close up shop or find someplace else to park your wood pile.The second option would be in my opinion your best option.

I know its a hard thing to swallow, but if you are unable to make friends with the neighbors and get them to turn their head to your illegal firewood business,I wouldnt risk the fines.Not to mention the fact that when you do get slapped your neighbors will undoubtly really enjoy that at your expense.

Not true. You can give away as much wood as you want. They have to catch you in the act of selling wood. They'll do what they did to me. They had someone call and ask if they can come (to your house) and pick up a load. If you say yes, they gotcha. Tell then no, you have to deliver because your wood lot is in another county at a friends place and he won't allow anyone on his property but you. This way, they can't check the wood lot and you're not required to divulge its location and you're not selling off of your residential zoned house. They either have to catch you handing over the money on your property or you agree to make a sale on your property. If they don't have that, they don't have :censored:.

Exactly...they have to catch you in ther act otherwise there's nothing.. For example...I stop selling the wood today..next week someone comes by tells me I can't sell wood there..I'm NOT! Prove tjhat I was. I'm beginning to think commerical, farms, and nursery owners are loving this thread. Lol...

Not true. You can give away as much wood as you want. They have to catch you in the act of selling wood. They'll do what they did to me. They had someone call and ask if they can come (to your house) and pick up a load. If you say yes, they gotcha. Tell then no, you have to deliver because your wood lot is in another county at a friends place and he won't allow anyone on his property but you. This way, they can't check the wood lot and you're not required to divulge its location and you're not selling off of your residential zoned house. They either have to catch you handing over the money on your property or you agree to make a sale on your property. If they don't have that, they don't have :censored:.

These are smart words. Learn them and live by them. Burden of proof is on the complainer. Craig's List is also a nice annonymous place to sell wood if word of mouth is not enough.

Back