Neighbor Took Half Cord - No Pay - VENT!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many of you guys "mark" your wood?
If we could smell a scent, like a dog, peeing on it would be ok, but if you took a squirt gun and some dye or a spray can of paint that would further establish it was your wood.

I have often thought about welding number stamps on the foot of my splitter, if I did it on all 4 quadrants of the foot, every split would be numbered for future id (something like the number 71 in each quadrant). That way if I get hosed I would have a way of identifiying my product to the authorities. But then again maybe I spend to much time in the woods:dizzy:

helping others

I use to have some low-life scumbag reliefer neighbors that where taking wood from my stacks for their campfires. Called the police and the cops wanted to know if I could prove the wood belonged to me? They said unless I had a way to show it was cut by me there was nothing they could do other than issuing a No Tress Pass Notice. Mom and Dad and six kids and no job for any of them. A couple weeks later more wood is missing. Call cops again. Same BS. Do you have prof they stole your wood? One day I caught them all outside and I took a can of spray paint and I would spray some paint on my pile and stare at them, paint and stare. Didn’t do a bit of good. Paint doesn’t stay on wood when it is burned. Father finally left for parts unknown and mother was always out partying. Me and all the surrounding neighbors complained enough about the conditions that the kids were living in that Child Services finally came a took the kids away from “MOM” and the township condemned the house. Mom was 44 and pregnant by a 23 year old boy friend. Believe it or not, she got her kids back with in a week and they gave her a new place to live. If the dirt bag parents would have come to me and asked for wood so those poor kids could enjoy a fire I would have given it to them. I supply campfire wood for about three of my neighbors and a bunch of my relations for nothing. I don’t mind helping people out that can’t do for them selves, but steal from me and I’ll do anything I can to get even.
Your best bet is to have nothing to do with this guy and his family. If he can’t keep his family warm, tough nuts.

Carl Bill

Your a really nice person. If someone needs help I also try to help them. This though sounds like he pulls it a lot of this on others also. It looks like you knew he was like this and let him rape you. I would choke it up as experience and not allow him on your property again. You see him loading wood call the cops.

:agree2:

Write it off as helping a neighbor, but :censored: him next time. let his a$$ freeze.

:cheers:

So get this... A neighbor of mine (not american) who grubs off other people. Who lets a 70 yr old cut their grass and not give anything in return, who takes and begs for wood for free from a 65 yr old down the block, asked me for wood 2 months ago.

Being a nice guy. Being a good neighbor I told him $100 for a whole cord. 2 weeks go by, no reponse.

I left a card saying I can do it for $50. (christmas time, I can use anything)....

He finally rang my doorbell and said he only wanted half cord. He gave me $25. Big whoop.

2 weeks later he asked if I can have the peices which I was going to throw out anyway. I let him have it.

3 days ago Friday he said he needed more wood. He wanted big pieces, not like the ones I had stacked (which are normal 22" split sizes) He wanted half a log. I said $30 for half a cord this time. Fine he said.... He's going to the bank and coming back with it. He didn't show up that night.

So yesterday I decided to roll out the splitter and split massive pieces for him. I spent a good 2 hrs on the Elm. Put it in a pile and waited for my measly money..

Tonight I thought a heard a truck. I look at my cameras on the tv and there he was getting the pile of wood and putting it in his truck.

I go outside...he acts all friendly...I said "you have the $30?". He said his account is Canadien and he has to go their tomorrow. WHAT?? LMAO!!!!!!!!!!

" I told him I don't like to work for free and I broke my back making this for you, and you gotta understand this could have been $125 worth for me"

He then said he is either going to come back tonight with the money or during the week.

Even though it's only $30, I'm a little ticked off he came to load up without paying. Who does that???

So if I don't see the money by tomorrow night....guess what.............. he's right across the street........ you guys want pictures or a video of me doing it?

Sounds like my neighbor,she came up a month ago and asked for firewood,i said ok her heater was not working,she said her husband would give me some money when he got in off the road,she backed her toyota truck up to my wood pile and piled it on,i said damn, well he never paid me,then a few weeks ago she did it again,this time i said only get a half a truck load,she again said her husband would pay me,she called me yesterday and said do you have anymore firewood,i know you have helped me a lot,i i said no im about out, so i see her older son went and bought a saw and is splitting it by hand for her,i dont mind helping people i have several disabled vets i take free wood to,but there is such thing as taking advantage of the situation

My sister asked me if I would bring her "some" firewood. It's a 125 miles each way. What does "some" mean? She wouldn't have a clue what a cord or 1/2 cord is. Seasoned Oak in their area is around $225 a cord del/stacked. Do I charge her? :givebeer: BTW, they are pretty well off.

I find it funny that people see the huge stacks of firewood and think you don't mind giving it away.

125 miles

Can you even move wood that far. Around here I think the limit is 50 miles.

I never do business with family so if she pays you great (but it would have to be her choice) if not it is all with in the family. Some day you will need a favor from her. I like to have a bank of favors to call back in. But that is just me.

Korey

I've got 13+ cords out back. Neighbor burns wood in their firepit for parties/drinking. Problem is they can really go thru alot when they're drunk and I'm concerned about them going after my good stuff. I tend to give them all the crap wood I can (ant infested/rotted/wet) and it really makes for some smoky fires but as long as there is some in their pile they leave my good stuff alone. I'd sell them some but they're the kind that expects everything to be given to them- cheap & lazy b******s.

Last edited:
Can you even move wood that far. Around here I think the limit is 50 miles.

I never do business with family so if she pays you great (but it would have to be her choice) if not it is all with in the family. Some day you will need a favor from her. I like to have a bank of favors to call back in. But that is just me.

Korey

Why is there a limit on how far you move wood? I have no idea about that.

I've got 13+ cords out back. Neighbor burns wood in their firepit for parties/drinking. Problem is they can really go thru alot when they're drunk and I'm concerned about them going after my good stuff. I tend to give them all the crap wood I can (ant infested/rotted/wet) and it really makes for some smoky fires but as long as there is some in their pile they leave my good stuff alone. I'd sell them some but they're the kind that expects everything to be given to them- cheap & lazy b******s.

How do they calculate their wood usage? Does 1 case of beer=1 face cord?

I find it funny that people see the huge stacks of firewood and think you don't mind giving it away.

:agree2: Yep, for me even more so for hunting, draging deer sometimes miles,license fees,hours butchering and bagging, yet people act like they're doing me a favor asking for it, taking it off my hands.

Why is there a limit on how far you move wood? I have no idea about that.

Oh yeah, definetly want to check your states dnr. biggest problem is ash borer beetle or eab I guess kill trees big problem and serious fines moving wood to far

EAB is the biggest problem

The emerald ash bore is the problem. They really lock down on moving fire Wood in this area. If you do not want to give her the wood you can always use that as the excuse.

Check the rules in your area before you move wood that far.

Good luck
Korey

I'm in central TX (like the actual geographic center). I don't mind parting with the wood(Oak), but I also don't want to be fined doing it! Where would I find out?

A small bottle of skunk scent can be a universal problem solver, when placed in the right spot anyway ;)

Be warned though, it can lead to down on the floor, rib splitting laughter..... which is easy worth $40.

Skunk scent also works wonders for those cats and dogs that the neighbors let loose to roam all over your property. A few dabs on the critter and send them home. The owners get the message pretty quickly. I of course know nothing of this.

Ok so you can thank me for this brialliant idea and I cannot believe I did not come up with it sooner. Get one of these branding irons with your name and phone number on it. Brand a few pieces of wood and tell the buyers of the wood put the piece with the brand on it about 1/4 from the end of the pile. When they get to the piece with the brand mark, call and order more wood. That way if the wood is stolen you have marks on some of it.

http://www.woodworkersauction.com/birons.html

26327.jpg

Dnr

The texas DNR should be able to tell you what rules they have on moving Fire wood. Check out their web page or give the local game warden a call.

Korey

Skunk scent also works wonders for those cats and dogs that the neighbors let loose to roam all over your property. A few dabs on the critter and send them home. The owners get the message pretty quickly. I of course know nothing of this.

That's a great idea. :clap: :laugh:

I've heard white paint works well too.

With my luck though the neighbors would like the smell, as they have 15 cats inside the house already, "oh fluffy smells so good tonight",
or else they'd not let the cats inside and would send them back over.

That's a great idea. :clap: :laugh:

I've heard white paint works well too.

Paint is not natural and is traceable. Nobody ever expects the skunk to be put on by another person. What amazes me that people will let their cat out 4X and come back stinky before they get the hint.

Latest posts

Back