New 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you win it.

Yes, but I won't have it before Sunday. Fingers crossed it is as described. Was not advertised as a 10 mm, but I request the SN, and the air filter and muff cover were original, so I believe the saw is. The early 044s had a triple layer air filter (foam, paper, foam, with a metal outside cover, not plastic), I just replaced the one on mine with an HD-2 recently.

The pics of this saw had that filter. Also, the air filter cover does not have the side skirts like the newer ones. You will see what I mean at the GTG.

If the saw is as described, just an HD-2 filter and dual port muff cover will wake the heck up out of it.

I bid 4, plus the shipping (35), and it comes with a like new 24" bar. If it runs like my 044, I will be ecstatic!

I'm not sure the 046 was weaker than the 044, but it just does not really feel any stronger, and that kind of defeats the purpose of having it. (Note: the 046 had 24" bar instead of 20" on the 044).

Conversely, the Smittybilt 460 really impressed, just as their 2 066s always do. So I negotiated a deal with Brett, and my 046 went home with him. I'm quite sure the 044 will not keep up with it when I get it back, but that 044 does run real nice for a stock saw!

Although Stihl used several cylinders on the 044 over the years, I'm not sure there was a change that corresponded with the 10 to 12 mm pin. I think the cylinder may be the same, but there are others more knowledgeable than me on this topic out there.

I would ask Brian or one of the builders, but I am not aware of that. I just think the "early" jugs were desired for performance with any mm piston. The piston is the same diameter, so I don't know why that would be, but there may be different ports in the piston, etc, that I am not aware of. Hopefully, one of them will chime in.

If you get a good running 044/440 it should run very close to that 7900, and when you get that 064 back from Randy it should be a beast. There was a non-ported one at GTG on Sunday, and it was strong!

If you get a good running 044/440 it should run very close to that 7900, and when you get that 064 back from Randy it should be a beast. There was a non-ported one at GTG on Sunday, and it was strong!
The 7900 is going to Mastermind next. :rock:

I may have mentioned it before, but I went with a buddy and compared the 7900 to his 440 (stock w/ dual port cover). Both saws ran the same 28" ES bar, both had the same (brand new off the roll chain), same 7 pin rim sprocket, and the 7900 was the much stronger saw. It wasn't even a close comparison.

I didn't even think the difference in weight was all that noticeable.

My 044 just seems to be a strong runner, just as strong as my 046 and other 046/460s I have tried. I also ran a 7900 at GTG, a nice saw and very good wt for the size, but I did not think it was much different than my 044.

Let me know what you think of that 064 when you get it back, I think you will be very impressed. That 7900 should turn out real well also, a lot of ccs for the weight.

I would PM Randy about the 044/440.

Mustangmike, I've been told the 10's have slanted cylinder fins. If so, is that true for all 10's and not 12's? I'm in the market for a clean 044/10mm.
Some 12 mm have slanted fins too.
Edit: didn't see there was another page of posts. Lol

Some 12 mm have slanted fins too.
Edit: didn't see there was another page of posts. Lol

I believe it was to get rid of the left over stock of 10mm cylinders after the change over.

The 10mm cylinder I'm gonna use for my next saw was on a 12mm piston. The serial number was 130xxxxxx.

I was told not to use a 10mm piston in a 12mm jug, but the other way around was okay. o_O

The slanted fin jugs can run a 10 mm piston or a 12 mm piston safely. It is the later 12 mm cylinders that have the straight across top fins that the ring ends on a 10 mm piston might snag in the ports.

Whenever I saw a 044 with the skirts I knew is was not a 10mm. When I saw one w/o the skirts, I always requested the SN.

That is how I found 044#2, and I got even luckier, there were not bids on it yet, so I asked him to do a "buy it now", and he accepted my $400 (plus $35 shipping) immediately! $400 had been the $ he established for a starting bid! And it came with a 24" wide nose bar.

Latest posts

Back