New 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whenever I saw a 044 with the skirts I knew is was not a 10mm. When I saw one w/o the skirts, I always requested the SN.

That is how I found 044#2, and I got even luckier, there were not bids on it yet, so I asked him to do a "buy it now", and he accepted my $400 (plus $35 shipping) immediately! $400 had been the $ he established for a starting bid! And it came with a 24" wide nose bar.

My 1st 10mm had a 440 flippy tank.
Just sayin

Now for the derail. Sorry I ain't been around for a minute guys. What's new 'round here?

The slanted fin jugs can run a 10 mm piston or a 12 mm piston safely. It is the later 12 mm cylinders that have the straight across top fins that the ring ends on a 10 mm piston might snag in the ports.
I just put a 12mm saw together with a slanted fin jug, and was surprised at how well the saw ran... It was definitely stronger than my MS440, just not as pretty. So, I sold the 044 and the 440 is tore apart on the bench waiting for a new piston and the Masterminded 044 cylinder to go back on it.

BTW, I have another slanted fin jug and an 046 P&C if anybody needs one...

I just put a 12mm saw together with a slanted fin jug, and was surprised at how well the saw ran... It was definitely stronger than my MS440, just not as pretty. So, I sold the 044 and the 440 is tore apart on the bench waiting for a new piston and the Masterminded 044 cylinder to go back on it.

BTW, I have another slanted fin jug and an 046 P&C if anybody needs one...

The slanted fin cylinders have a bit more compression and better timing numbers than the later cross finned cylinders, I have built many 044 and now MS440`s using the older slant finned cylinders, my own personal collection is four 044 and three MS440`s plus two 044/046 hybrids.. I built a lot more of them that now reside with new owners, some either are or were AS members at one time.

The AF cover change happened @ SN# x31849638

Reference TI 20.95
Page 3

are there any other tell tale signs to know if a saw has angled fins? Or do you gotta check the #?

I only ask, as I bought a 044 the other day it's on it way here, but dont know the # yet. I am pretty sure it is a 12mm saw though.

The change to Elastostart and (a separate change) to 5 mm bolts (instead of 4 mm bolts) holding the recoil both occurred before they switched to 12 mm. So if the recoil is original and not Elastostart, or if it has the 4 mm bolts holding the recoil, it is a 10 mm saw.

If I see something on ebay (etc) that I am not sure of, I always request the SN, and if the saw is original.

Mike, the one I am talking about, does not have those details, it is a later saw for sure, I am 100% positive the one I bought is a 12mm saw.

I asked a few more important questions to the guy, then I had to act fast before someone else bought it. So I will find out when it gets here, if it has the angled fins or not.

Speaking of 044, did you see my post week an 1/2 ago about the 10mm I picked up at my local dealer? Pretty clean saw.

Latest posts

Back