New 362 port or not

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Buchanan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I picked up a brand new 362 and was wondering if I’m going to achieve anything by porting it or should I just leave it be at stock. At times it will run a 25 inch bar. But for the biggest part it will be a 20 inch bar.

So I picked up a brand new 362 and was wondering if I’m going to achieve anything by porting it or should I just leave it be at stock. At times it will run a 25 inch bar. But for the biggest part it will be a 20 inch bar.

You will get good gains by adjusting squish and portmatching/modding the muffler. I did mine and left the cylinder internal ports alone, but opened up the exhaust and slightly opened the intake/strato. I also slightly opened the intake baffle to match the port.

It was quite a bit more powerful. I used some carbide burrs with a dremel and a flex shaft, so nothing fancy.
20181026_204444.jpg

Just put a MAGNUM sticker on it and call it a day. It's a Hell of a lot cheaper and it won't mess your saw up.

I'll have to try that on my 365 special tomorrow, probably give it the power of a 372xp. Do they make magnum stickers in husky colors?

@Mastermind Worksaws does a great job on the 362 and will only do new saws. You won’t be disappointed, and he tailors his build to what will make the saw more enjoyable to use, yet not detract from reliability and how long the saw will last you. In most cases if done correctly, a ported saw should have the same lifespan as a stocker.

Have to agree with @drf255, Randy really has the 362 figured out, he has a lot of time figuring out what makes that model work, if I was more of a Stihl guy I would be tempted to get one myself.

Check out Hotsaws101 ... he’s famous for his “insane-0” port job and most likely has a video showcasing what a properly ported 362 can do ... you should realize a substantial gain in cutting speed / performance ... Should exceed a stock 441 with 11cc less and considerable weight savings

Problem with “insane-O” is that the price is “insane-O”.

I’m a believer in “you get what you pay for”, but his prices are more than double what some others charge.

His saws run great, but not twice as great. Seems like a good guy, and it’s a free marketplace. I just couldn’t see spending $800 on any saw.

Yeah and I always wonder about durability on saws from certain builders, MMWS saws are known for being a great reliable saw for long term use in real world conditions, Randy builds works saws, not race saws, he will tell you that. There is a huge difference, $800.00 for port work in crazy IMO, I mean I can buy another saw for that much $.

Problem with “insane-O” is that the price is “insane-O”.

I’m a believer in “you get what you pay for”, but his prices are more than double what some others charge.

His saws run great, but not twice as great. Seems like a good guy, and it’s a free marketplace. I just couldn’t see spending $800 on any saw.
Hotsaws101 offers a few different levels of porting ... iirc extreme; animal ; insane-0; and psych-0 ; with a ss addition where applicable ... I don’t recall anyone paying $800 for a port job from him ... As far as performance / durability goes I haven’t heard anything but good reviews about his builds ... might be more than some others but cmon ; IF you have the work the xtra cost is quickly forgotten

Yeah, "but c'mon". Great argument.

To the OP. It's your call. You can leave it stock, try to forget about this ported saw nonsense and go on living your life. Or you can take the plunge, get it done right by one of the great guys around here and quickly realize that most stock saws just don't do it for you anymore. Next thing you know you'll have a dozen ported saws in the garage, which will also be where you're sleeping.

Yeah and I always wonder about durability on saws from certain builders, MMWS saws are known for being a great reliable saw for long term use in real world conditions, Randy builds works saws, not race saws, he will tell you that. There is a huge difference, $800.00 for port work in crazy IMO, I mean I can buy another saw for that much $.
You gents keep throwing this $800 for port work alone number out there ... I don’t believe this is accurate ... let’s say you wanted a 461 done up ... it’s got a limited coil so if you want unlimited use a 460 or 660 coil ... new 179.99 + tax ; max flow system 59.99 + shipping so there’s $275 right there in hard parts ! If the typical guy charges $350 to port then there’s $625 + the ride there and back ! Jack may charge a bit more but his saws flat-out get with it !

Have both a stock 562 and ported 562 from one of above said builder. Ported saw will pull that longer bar better, but with a 20" bar, unless it's buried, stock saw is just fine. Just a firewood hack, newest is stock and will remain stock. Not in any big rush and porting cost buys a lot of chains, gas and oil.

Have both a stock 562 and ported 562 from one of above said builder. Ported saw will pull that longer bar better, but with a 20" bar, unless it's buried, stock saw is just fine. Just a firewood hack, newest is stock and will remain stock. Not in any big rush and porting cost buys a lot of chains, gas and oil.
Hotsaws101 or Mastermind?

Back