New 550XP arrived!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormpetrel

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Finally........it's here! I went down to the ferry and intercepted the UPS guy, saving hours of waiting (and him from having to drop it at my house). The only other Husky saws I have handled are my old 445 and a 55 rancher, the 550 looks tiny! Is it even as big as the 445? But then...soft music started playing, and my eyes misted.......:msp_wub: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! How lovely. (ahem.)

I got it right into the garage, got the muffler off, and commenced drilling. I worked my way up to 3/8" or so, then used a Dremel-borne burr to open up the rest, and to smooth the rough spots. I carefully lifted the metal away from the groove the screen fits in so I could put it back in. I did drill into it a little, and also into the overhang. The overhang got beat up a little from lifting it up to drill and then bending it back. But nothing a little sanding, grinding and repainting with engine paint didn't fix right up.

Next the new sprocket...I had been approaching this with some unease, I have never really done anything other than chain changing to a chainsaw. The hardest thing about it was getting the spark plug out.... the Swede who put that puppy in torqued it to about 50 foot pounds. Sheesh. The clutch removal tool I researched and carefully cross-referenced didn't fit :censored:
Turns out an 18mm wrench works perfectly well with a big-azz adjustable to turn it. I just wish that %$#@$%^!!!!!! spark plug was that easy.

(BTW I will be running 3/8 50 ga. chain, so I have the new-in-the-box 20" bar and OEM chain if anyone is interested) The Sugi Hara bar and a couple of loops of chain should get here tomorrow. She's ready to go. All I had to do was fire her up!! A little fresh 93 octane gas w/Husqvarna oils & Sea foam, a little bar oil on the other side. Pumped the bulb a few times, pulled the choke lever up..she fired up after the 4th pull. Ran sorta rough at idle. I warmed it up for a minute or two, shut it down, and without touching the choke lever, pulled the cord. She fired right up. Did it five or six times in quick succession. Same result. I guess this saw doesn't have that warm start issue some of 'em have..whew! I saw my wife drive in, spent 10 minutes up,at the house getting instructions and what-for:msp_rolleyes: went back to the garage, she fired right up. Nice. I let her loose after another minute of warming....yikes! Not just an angry beast....but a whole *herd* of angry beasts!!! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAW!!!!!!!!

Anyhoo, can't wait for the rain to stop and get at a few trees that need cutting.:hmm3grin2orange:

I learned a great deal about chainsaws reading posts here, stuff I never even considered. There really is a wealth of knowledge here. There is also not too much of the juvenile arguing you can find on a lot of other sites. Some...but hardly any. It was all I read about the 550XP on this site that impelled me to buy one. I'm very glad I did, and I'lll report back with how she cuts. Oh...here's a few photos too. :msp_w00t::msp_w00t: (I don't get why they're so small! The last one is of the MM finished)

Last edited:
Congrats on the new saw, rep sent.
I'm interested to know your thoughts after putting it in some wood.

Congrats on the saw! :msp_thumbup:

...but I believe I have read that sea foam shouldn't be used in an engine like that? :confused:

I love using Sea Foam in my gas but choose not to in my new saws and engines as it states on the label about freeing rings and I wanted them to seat. I'm sure it doesn't mater but let me know what you find.

I love using Sea Foam in my gas but choose not to in my new saws and engines as it states on the label about freeing rings and I wanted them to seat. I'm sure it doesn't mater but let me know what you find.

I don't even know what "sea foam" is, it just struck me that I have read a warning about using it in a chainsaw somewhere....

I don't even know what "sea foam" is, it just struck me that I have read a warning about using it in a chainsaw somewhere....

I had a problem with my 445 and thought the carb needed adjustment. I was advised to try Sea Foam...I did, and in 10 minutes the saw was running like new! None of the hesitation and bogging I had been getting before I used it..GOOD stuff!

Seafoam has solvent like properties. It might be ok for an occasional clean up but why would you want a solvent in your mix all the time?? :msp_ohmy: Especially a two stroke?? Why introduce a solvent into 2T crank and rod bearings??

BTW, congrats on your 550XP!!

Last edited:
Seafoam has solvent like properties. It might be ok for an occasional clean up but why would you want a solvent in your mix all the time?? :msp_ohmy: Especially a two stroke?? Why introduce a solvent into 2T crank and rod bearings??

BTW, congrats on your 550XP!!

Thanks!! :D

I put Sea foam into tractor, cars, truck, boat, and had some fresh fuel left from the 445 I mixed last week. I wasn't gonna throw it away, they say it is good and safe.....so I used it rather than wasted it.:msp_ohmy:

I own a 550XP, yet I still got a little jealous when I read your post TS.

Make sure you give us an update when she starts melting through some wood.

BTW where did you get your Sugihara Bar?

I'd much prefer FuelMedic or B3C fuel products (same stuff different color) for my fuel treatment needs. Good stuff.

Back